Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick primer needed

Default Pick primer needed

I've decided the style I prefer is using a pick, but cannot figure out which thickness to use.
    So, why are there different thicknesses and which would be most appropriate for a soprano uke with wound low G. I'm playing mostly jazz & swing (at least trying to).

I don't play uke with a pick, but I did play guitar with one. I ended up with a whole box full of picks in various sizes, thicknesses, and materials. You just have to try a variety and see what works for you. Fortunately, they're cheap, so there's no great risk of picking the wrong pick.
    Larry

• COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

I'm pretty sure that with nylon strings you're supposed to use felt or leather picks. I doubt that they come in many thicknesses.

I also play jazz on a soprano Low G uke, but I use fingers and thumb. To me, picks are for steel strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbored View Post
    I'm pretty sure that with nylon strings you're supposed to use felt or leather picks. I doubt that they come in many thicknesses.

I also play jazz on a soprano Low G uke, but I use fingers and thumb. To me, picks are for steel strings.
    There are really no 'rules' for what picks to use. Rules about music are meant to be broken.

It takes some experimentation to find the right picks for oneself, just like everything else, to each his own.

FYI: Roderigo & Gabriela, world-renowned performers and Grammy-winning players BOTH use standard guitar picks on nylon-string flamenco-style guitars.

The use of felt picks are kind of an older style of thinking as far as I've seen in my nearly 3 yrs on this forum. YMMV.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

I use a Jim Dunlop .38 mm on my concert banjolele tuned Lo-C GDA. I like the feel of it in my fingers. I'm learning Irish Banjo Music with the banjolele. If I succeed, I'll get an Irish tenor banjo.

I have felt picks, but I don't like them and never use them. Happy picking!
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I use a Jim Dunlop .38 mm on my concert banjolele tuned Lo-C GDA. I like the feel of it in my fingers. I'm learning Irish Banjo Music with the banjolele. If I succeed, I'll get an Irish tenor banjo.

I have felt picks, but I don't like them and never use them. Happy picking!
    I don't use a pick on a ukulele, but I second Dunlop nylon picks. They would be my suggestion as you can get them in thicknesses from .38mm to 1.0mm. Just go get a handful of different thicknesses and see which one works best. I would guess that for a nylon string ukulele .38, .46, or .60 might give you the right balance of pliability vs. attack.

John

I started out with something like this, then learned to strum with my finger.
    http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Gate-FP...halo+felt+pick
    For me, it was a good way to learn strumming patterns, then when I got the hang of it, I started strumming with my finger.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    There are really no 'rules' for what picks to use. Rules about music are meant to be broken.
    I never said there were "rules" about it, which would be absurd. And were not talking about "music".

What are we talking about then, Soundbored? I was certainly posting about picking tunes.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 03-28-2016 at 05:26 AM.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

If you are new to using a pick, you will probably want a more flexible one. Beginners tend to dig in too hard, so the flexible pick will compensate for that.

As you progress, you will definitely want to experiment with various sizes, shapes, thickness and materials. (I use a bone pick)

Also, you may want to use higher tension and/or stiffer strings. They will help you be more precise in your picking.
    Thou Shalt Not.

Thread Information