Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can sing really well but while playing lyrics disappear

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    The point is, once I can play the chords without thinking, which is what studying chord progressions make easier, I can concentrate on lyrics, and once I have the lyrics down, I can work on spicing things up a little with some melody thrown in for flavor. For me it is a three step process.
    Playing the ukulele and singing at the same time can be a real challenge for me as well. I've been singing for decades and got some classical training in my late teens, so the voice part is my strength. About a year ago I started singing at open mics with my Autoharp. And then my brother asked me to join his Renaissance Festival band last winter, and I knew I didn't want to lug around such a heavy instrument or deal with tuning 37 strings in all weather outdoors. So I picked up my ukulele and learned the songs with them. It's taking time, but the more I play, and the more people I play with, the easier it gets.
    Ukulele Player/Singer/Songwriter @ Leprechaun Pirates
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
    ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

I haven't been singin' with my Ukes for a while mostly because I'm doin' other stuff, but also because I was having a difficult time trying to do it.

I started playing the Uke because I wanted to sing with it. But I learned that I have a really poor memory. I found that I could memorize or read the words and play the chords, but not at the same time. So, after a while, I just played the chords and whistled the melody. Then, little by little, the other stuff took over.

Now, I'm gonna make another run at it. I know the chords and mostly whistled melodies to a few songs, so now I'm gonna stress the words and cut down on the chords. C is good for me and G for some songs. F is possible, but it always seems too high, and it's got the dreaded Bb. I'm gonna stick to C mostly for the time being.

Funny, I do know how to play/sing a few songs. I wonder why I can do it with some but not others . . . Anyway, I think I'll try to learn the words line by line and then put the stanzas together.

Actually, I've done most of the above before with minimal results. Maybe the stars will be in the right position this time.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow you’ll be too old.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I haven't been singin' with my Ukes for a while mostly because I'm doin' other stuff, but also because I was having a difficult time trying to do it.

I started playing the Uke because I wanted to sing with it. But I learned that I have a really poor memory. I found that I could memorize or read the words and play the chords, but not at the same time. So, after a while, I just played the chords and whistled the melody. Then, little by little, the other stuff took over.

Now, I'm gonna make another run at it. I know the chords and mostly whistled melodies to a few songs, so now I'm gonna stress the words and cut down on the chords. C is good for me and G for some songs. F is possible, but it always seems too high, and it's got the dreaded Bb. I'm gonna stick to C mostly for the time being.

Funny, I do know how to play/sing a few songs. I wonder why I can do it with some but not others . . . Anyway, I think I'll try to learn the words line by line and then put the stanzas together.

Actually, I've done most of the above before with minimal results. Maybe the stars will be in the right position this time.
    I'm only a rank beginner, but I haven't actually attempted to play/sing any songs from memory; I have the words (and chords) written out in front of me. This works very well if you are just recording, but obviously wouldn't be so good for a live performance - not sure which you're talking about Dick.
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

I'm talking about memorizing the words to songs so I can sing (solo) where ever I am. I know I could just read the words, but that's difficult too when there's lots of stanzas.

Anyway, it gives me somethin' to do and keeps me off the streets.

Well, I'm amazed. My plan is a bit successful. I've learned three stanzas and the chorus of Down In The Valley. Sure it's an easy song, but success is success. I've also managed to remember two or three songs I already knew. My next foray is into Jumpin' Jim's "Ukulele Country" book -- good ol' songs.

Ha! Today my music room; tomorrow Nashville!

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Well, I'm amazed. My plan is a bit successful. I've learned three stanzas and the chorus of Down In The Valley. Sure it's an easy song, but success is success. I've also managed to remember two or three songs I already knew. My next foray is into Jumpin' Jim's "Ukulele Country" book -- good ol' songs.

Ha! Today my music room; tomorrow Nashville!
    Good stuff, Dick!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Thanks, Lil, a little success does wonders for one's desire to improve.

Thread Information