"Tips to Using Search" or Advanced Tricks to Searching with Stellar Results.

Inksplosive AL

Reaction score
"Tips to Using Search" or Advanced Tricks to Searching with Stellar Results.

I ended up mentioning in another thread what many familiar with the Internet or power users may already know, most if not all forum search engines usually leave much to be desired. Another member agreed stating: "Search on UU leaves a lot to be desired, and it has since I started coming here. But even regular search engines seem to be getting bad. It just seems like things can get buried pretty easily these days." I agree fully and have noticed myself how over the years as more and more is added to the mix things are at times harder to find. One has always had to dig through the garbage to find the treasure but it is getting tougher to dig.

Good news everyone, this can be overcome easily at times.

Some members suggest using the advanced search on this forum which can at times yield better results. Forum search engines like the one here at UU work better if we as posting members add descriptive tags to our posts. Other forums have a built in Google search accessible with the press of a button. I prefer to simply use Google and simply add a "modifier" to the search term to force Google to search the site in question. For many years now I have added this modifier after the search term as an example using UU as the target site and anything as my search term. anything site:ukuleleunderground.com another pointed out that it also works like so site:ukuleleunderground.com anything, with the search term after the modifier. They also noted it has worked for them on many other search engines, while I have tried DuckDuckGo when it first came out and Ask back when it was Ask Jeeves I find the beast that is Google serves me best.

To go beyond what I have offered above, without further banter here is the money shot: How to Search on Google: 31 Advanced Google Search Tips

I wasn't going to write this as I have yet to finish adding information and pictures to my Risa thread the fact I'm feeling quite under the weather fighting a cold and only sleeping in 3 hour blocks so quite tired at times as well. By all means if anyone wants to better this by adding comments below or even rewrite this using my contribution here as a jumping board please do. There is so much great information in older posts there is so much great information in the various sticky threads at the top of each forum that is simply ignored, forgotten or lost to most.

~Arr~

Edit: If this is in the wrong forum please move to the proper one thanks.

Last edited:
I too usually use Google and end up with any UU references that apply to my search term(s).

Top Bottom