Wound Low g wound c

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
For those of you that play a wound low g and wound C do you prefer nylon or flurocarbon for the E and A strings? I'm using a Fremont polished low G and a polished medium gauge C from Southcoast. I have tried clear flurocarbons from southcoast, blackline flurocarbon by Fremont and black nylon from D'Addario. Just curious what other people prefer.

I have a wound low G that Joe from Blackbird recommended for me, as I don't like wound strings. I still want to try an unwound low G on my Clara. The other strings, I can't remember what they are - whatever Joe recommended and put on there before Blackbird sent it out to me.

I have played Worth Clears with an unwound low G and loved them. I'm going to try them on the Clara when I do a string change.

I have Living Waters on mine--fluorocarbon. Nylon strings aren't for me.

ETA: the G and C are wound strings. Fremont Soloist for G and Thomastik-Infeld CF27 guitar string for C. It's just E and A that are Living Waters. Expensive set, yes, but I love them!

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck I haven't tried them yet but I have some Oasis warm so I'll try them when the new uke gets here on Wed.

For those of you that play a wound low g and wound C do you prefer nylon or flurocarbon for the E and A strings? I'm using a Fremont polished low G and a polished medium gauge C from Southcoast. I have tried clear flurocarbons from southcoast, blackline flurocarbon by Fremont and black nylon from D'Addario. Just curious what other people prefer.

I have D'Addario carbons (EJ99sc) with an Augustine wound "D" for G3 on my Kiwaya KTS-7. It's nearly perfect, except their stock C string is too low in tension for me, hence my other thread about a Seaguar .036 fishing line. I have the D'Addario wound .020 for doing wound C, but I've just been too lazy recently to cut and shape the new bone nut needed.

Fremont and Nylgut all sounded too dark and flubby on this soprano.

I have wound low strings on most of my ukes. I usta use Aquila Reds, but I had breakage problems with them.

I like the sound that wound strings make when one frets them--sounds professional. The only thing with my playing that does! :eek:ld:

I have wound low-G and C strings (D'Addario silverplated copper on nylon) on two concerts. So far I have tried Fremont Blacklines, Living Waters and Martin M600s for E and A. Er, yeah I guess I prefer fluoros :) Having said that I don't like overly bright strings - I thought that the Fremonts were a bit too 'chimey'. I'm keen to try the Oasis warms.

PS: One reason that led me to trying a wound C in the first place was that I don't like thick strings - I don't like the feel of them and also I think they can sound a bit 'thuddy'. This is also what led me try fluorocarbons - the typically narrower gauges.

Oasis warm E and A with those wound basses.

What chuck said but I use a bright oasis a.

I just took out the wound c on my Hoffmann ML and replaced with a normal oasis just to compare and contrast. The wound c gives a brighter, more articulate attack and tone but went back to normal c Flouro just to hear and compare.

+1 for Living Waters strings. I bought a wound low G to use, but like the LW set as it came, so haven't changed to the wound low G.

Nylon doesn't seem keep up with wound very well and get drowned out.
I've found that to be true with both d'addrio and aquila.
When you run a melody up, the nylons tend to sound dull when crossing over from the wound, so I've mostly quit trying to use nylon to blend with wound. Doesn't seem to matter if the wounds are alu, or bronze that way, the nylons always sound drowned out with wounds to me. Which is wierd, cuz that's how guitars do it, but it seems much less noticeable there. Maybe cuz they're longer? I dunno.

People sometimes say wound are "boomy", when what I think they're actually hearing is that the trebles are not keeping up.

I didn't want to give my preference at first so I would get unbiased responses but I have to admit my girst choice so far has been the black nylon from D'addario. To me the flurocarbon gets to bright almost tinny. This may be to general a statement to make but to me the flurocarbon makes an expensive uke sound like it's not an expensive uke is the best way I can out it lol that said I haven't tried the Oasis warm yet and I'll try Chucks suggestion.

I didn't want to give my preference at first so I would get unbiased responses but I have to admit my girst choice so far has been the black nylon from D'addario. To me the flurocarbon gets to bright almost tinny. This may be to general a statement to make but to me the flurocarbon makes an expensive uke sound like it's not an expensive uke is the best way I can out it lol that said I haven't tried the Oasis warm yet and I'll try Chucks suggestion.

The only difference between the Oasis warm and bright sets is the A string is a little smaller in diameter in the bright configuration. The rest of the strings are the same. I've used nothing but fluorocarbon on my ukes for as long as it's been available. Strings can only do so much to alter the nature of the instrument. This is why it's important to find the strings that make the uke you have sound the way you want.

all my ukes have fluorocarbon strings and I don't think they sound like a Luna...maybe something wrong with my ears....:) nylon strings sound thuddy IMO
I also use mostly Oasis strings..but some of my ukes have PHD strings....never heard too many people say what you have said above.....

btw I use a Soloist lowG and a Southcoast wound C...but lately just using the soloist lowG
my 2 cents

Last edited:
Three combinations: 1) Wound Southcoast Mediums with their fluro E and A; 2) Southcoast light-mediums, full set. And 3) Chuck's frankenstring set, Southcoast wounds with Oasis warms. The Oasis fluros are a bit thicker than Southcoasts, and they sound fine.

Three combinations: 1) Wound Southcoast Mediums with their fluro E and A; 2) Southcoast light-mediums, full set. And 3) Chuck's frankenstring set, Southcoast wounds with Oasis warms. The Oasis fluros are a bit thicker than Southcoasts, and they sound fine.

My Frankenset actually has a Fremont Soloist low G, Steve. And I'll be trying out the Thomastik-Infeld CF27 flat wound C on this next batch of ukes.

I didn't want to give my preference at first so I would get unbiased responses but I have to admit my girst choice so far has been the black nylon from D'addario. To me the flurocarbon gets to bright almost tinny. This may be to general a statement to make but to me the flurocarbon makes an expensive uke sound like it's not an expensive uke is the best way I can out it lol .

Hey Rick,
Firstly, are you speaking from your own experience?

...because me and my ukes are going to have to humbly disagree with this assertion.

Fluorocarbon strings are the most responsive strings I have ever used. Period.
PHD being at the top of my list.

Ok maybe it's just me....the only other way I can put it besides FC being to bright is they sound artificial to me and nylon sounds more natural....maybe it's brighter versus warmer and I just like warmer better. I'll keep experimenting. The E and A that really seemed way to bright for me were the Fremont Blackline so maybe I'll just avoid those and stick with Southcoast and Oasis for FC.

My Frankenset actually has a Fremont Soloist low G, Steve. And I'll be trying out the Thomastik-Infeld CF27 flat wound C on this next batch of ukes.

Would love to hear your thoughts when you've had a chance to use them. I've got a cf27 and a cf30 that can be used for low g, thinking about a potential frankenset with Fremont low g, infeld cf 27 wound c, and oasis trebles.

Would love to hear your thoughts when you've had a chance to use them. I've got a cf27 and a cf30 that can be used for low g, thinking about a potential frankenset with Fremont low g, infeld cf 27 wound c, and oasis trebles.

CF30 for the G string, CF27 for the C. I'll have some strung up in a couple of days.

Top Bottom