New tenor advice and buying in Canada

e-dub

Reaction score
Hi fellow ukulele people!

I'm looking into getting a new ukulele. Sort of a present to myself for finishing up residency this june. I've been playing a cheap Lanikai spruce top soprano for a year and love it. But, I am 6'2" and have big hands so I thought a tenor would be a reasonable next addition.

So far I've had my eye on a few different ukes and wanted to know if you have any input or tips for buying in Canada.

Here is what I've found so far that is/might be available:
- Koaloha KTM-00 Koa. I saw this uke at the ukulele site in Haleiwa this winter and just stared at it. Haha, didn't even touch it because it looked too nice. There is one available in Calgary. $1300 CAD
- Koaloha Opio tenor: Possibly could put on order. was really surprised by the sound comparison with the koa on the ukulele site. $???
- LoPrinzi All mahogany tenor. I hear these are great but can't seem to find any dedicated reviews. $800 USD = $1000 CAD
- Kanilea koa Super concert (yah not a tenor but it looks real nice and could potentially go check it out in Vancouver. $970

The rub is the Canadian dollar floating around $0.75 USD and this is definitely limiting my buying options trying to keep it in Canada possibly to save a few bucks with exchange and duty. If anyone has info on stores with good selection in Canada or higher end ukes I would love to hear it.
Also open to other suggestions on mid to higher end tenors as well if available.

Thanks for putting up with a forum noob,

eric

I'm a west coaster but I'm just on LFDM website and googling some clips. Sound real nice...

West Coaster, try a Webber uke from David Weber in North Vancouver. I have one of his baritones and feel it's one of the best I've ever played. He's primarily a guitar builder but started making tenor and baritone ukes davidw@uniserve.com
Look him up and give him a call, you won't be disappointed. He may have a few in stock.

Congrats finishing up residency. You deserve a reward for such hard work.

Blue dog guitars carries David's ukes. If your close it might be worth checking them out.

Thanks for the tip Alytw and Patrick! Blue dog has some seriously nice looking ukes and I'll be out that way in a few weeks. I might have to check out this Park koa uke with sound port:
http://bluedogguitars.com/products/shelley-d-park-moodyville-ukulele-vega-koa-tenor-uke

And this Webber Tenor: http://bluedogguitars.com/products/webber-guitars-tenor-ukulele-rosewood-cedar

I'm not sure about any stores but all of those ukes you listed are great. The Opio is half as cheap as the rest and still holds its own but you can't beat Hawaiian Koa. Do you know which way you're leaning yet?

Last edited:
Hi Kyle,
Thanks for the reply. I think the opio would be a good option for me as I'm still only a year into playing he uke and don't want to get too out of control with spending. Logistically though, it might be a different story as I think I would have to order from a store in Alberta (haven't found a BC retailer) and I bet with the exchange it'll end up costing about $800-900 all said and done.

I think I'm going to check out bluedog in north van in a few weeks and play a few of the locally made ones. Not a huge fan of the maccaferri style but that moodyville Koa looks spot on. I also found a few posts from Doc_J who previously owned a moodyville and he seemed to speak highly of the quality.

Dang, that Webber tenor is one heck of a deal. David works out of the same shop Jean Larrivee started in North Vancouver. At the time David worked across the street from Jean. My brother has one of Jeans first guitars he made there. I think CBC did a video of him making it. Boy at that price, I may drive up and buy it.

David shapes one of the better necks I've played to date. Right up there with Chuck's imo.

Patrick,

You're getting me excited but I certainly envy your american ducats.
If you actually head up there can you let me know what you think of the Moodyville koa and mahogany ukes?

Cheers

Eric

Will do Eric. For myself, I'd probably check out David first to see what he has. He and I have been back and forth on a possible short scaled tenor guitar or smaller guitar.
I think DownupDave has a Webber tenor. Perhaps he'll chime in about it.

Last edited:
I have a Moodyville tenor from Shelly and it's awesome. I visited her shop and played four all in a row. Commissioned a Sitka top black walnut back and sides. Very nice ukulele. I've visited Blue Dog 3 times and played two Webbers.....also very nice. Moodyville are light with satin finish. Webbers do a very nice gloss Both nice just different. My Moodyville is very light.

I also own am Opio Tenor from HMS. Very light but not as light as my Moodyville. I like it a lot. Very full sound, woody, great for strumming or finger picking. Different sound from my spruce top Moodyville. May be interested in selling Opio so I can get another spruce top. I just like spruce tops....Send me a PM if interested. I live in Canada and know first hand how our dollar figures into a ukulele purchase.

Shelly Park looks to be in North Vancouver: http://www.parkguitars.com/

Thanks for the info M3. Puts a lot of my choices in perspective. I think when I'm out in vancouver in a few weeks I'll check out bluedog and play a few Webbers and Moodyvilles and if I'm not sold yet I'll PM you about the Opio.

Sounds like you're going for the higher range of ukes, but cost also seems a factor, which makes me suggest you try a Kala solid cedar top acacia koa body with the red Paduk binding, I have the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE for about $375 US, and it's pretty damn good.

Kala Cedar.jpg

I have a Moodyville tenor from Shelly and it's awesome. I visited her shop and played four all in a row. Commissioned a Sitka top black walnut back and sides. Very nice ukulele. I've visited Blue Dog 3 times and played two Webbers.....also very nice. Moodyville are light with satin finish. Webbers do a very nice gloss Both nice just different. My Moodyville is very light.

I also own am Opio Tenor from HMS. Very light but not as light as my Moodyville. I like it a lot. Very full sound, woody, great for strumming or finger picking. Different sound from my spruce top Moodyville. May be interested in selling Opio so I can get another spruce top. I just like spruce tops....Send me a PM if interested. I live in Canada and know first hand how our dollar figures into a ukulele purchase.

M3 has given you some great advice from first hand knowledge and experience. As Patrick said I do own a Webber tenor, spruce and cocobolo. I have never played a Shelly Parks but they are very well respected ukes. I also own a LfdM but I am guessing you don't want to go that high in price.

The trouble with living in Canada is a huge lack of choice. Other then the two customs I bought from Canadian builders I have just bit the bullet and bought from the US. Either new from HMS or used instruments from members right here. That is a great way to get a great instrument at a discounted price. I have bought way more used than new ukes, all from here and never disappointed.

I also own an Opio but in concert size and they are outstanding ukes for the money.

Shelly does in fact have her shop in North Vancouver. Just under second narrows bridge. Take first exit off bridge and go up two sets of lights - turn left. I suggest a call in advance to book a time. shelly can give you better directions She is great and you will get to play some great Ukuleles.

Blue dog is always a good Visit. Phone ahead and see if they have some Webber's to play. They might even have a Moodyville Tenor. They did when I was last in stock. Call Webber also and see what he has built and see if he can accommodate a visit to the shop. I'm luck because I only live about 5 hours from North Vancouver so..........

To put in perspective my Moodyville Gypsy Tenor weights 602 grams, my Opio Tenor was 612 grams and Pono AT was 644 grams if memory serves me correctly. All very nice ukuleles.

I agree with DUD's comments, we do have a lack of selection but Moodyville, Webber and LDFM are all great. Its just the USA has so many more. For me , its about finding different sounds and trying different builds. So , currently our dollar is hurting us. But, there are some good used buys out there is US$ so follow the marketplace here on UU.

Good luck with your search and if you need further help or comments - chime in or PM.

Thanks M3 and DownUpDave,

Looking forward to paying blue dog a visit in a few weeks. If their website is up to date they have a few webbers and a few Moodyilles to check out. I had a chance the other day to check out a Kanilea K1 satin finish super concert the other day. Oddly, not as impressed as I thought I would be but partly I think it was the atmosphere in the shop (kind of noisy and absolutely no customer service). I feel like a kook for not just snapping it up because it was on sale for a damn good deal but I really just want to play a few more ukes before I pull the trigger.
Might have to go back and take a second look or someone here can tell me to give my head a shake and buy it.

-Eric

Thanks M3 and DownUpDave,

Looking forward to paying blue dog a visit in a few weeks. If their website is up to date they have a few webbers and a few Moodyilles to check out. I had a chance the other day to check out a Kanilea K1 satin finish super concert the other day. Oddly, not as impressed as I thought I would be but partly I think it was the atmosphere in the shop (kind of noisy and absolutely no customer service). I feel like a kook for not just snapping it up because it was on sale for a damn good deal but I really just want to play a few more ukes before I pull the trigger.
Might have to go back and take a second look or someone here can tell me to give my head a shake and buy it.

-Eric

If you weren't impressed from the very start, even in a noisy enviroment, I doubt a second go will make it sound different. We all want to get a good deal but that good feeling of saving money will be replaced with buyers remorse as time goes by. Those of us that are uke crazy have gone through buyers remorse. It is ok if you have 5-10 other instruments you are happy with. Not so good if you were looking for "THE ONE".

Take your time, play as many as you can then make your choice.

Top Bottom