Quick Review of a 2016 KoAloha Concert

What was the fate of that wonderful early three piece body concert you had bought previously?

I used to like the logo the head stock and fret board termination until I realized it is all nothing but religious symbolism. If I played mine more I would likely put a pentagram over the logo to balance things out.

Ha ha Al....you and I both!

I wonder, how the heck do they get such wonderful tone and volume outta those things? Do they pray over each one? LOL.
(I'm an irreverent little stinker, ain't I?)

Ha ha Al....you and I both!

I wonder, how the heck do they get such wonderful tone and volume outta those things? Do they pray over each one? LOL.
(I'm an irreverent little stinker, ain't I?)

Hahaha I wouldn't doubt the praying thing. I've actually been so busy that I haven't picked up my KoAloha in like 3 weeks :eek: I feel like crap.

?...Would you play an instrument with political symbolism? Maybe, maybe not, depending on whether you want to potentially be seen as supporting/advocating for the viewpoint expressed, whatever it is. If the instrument's logo and design elements were intended and known to be representative of a different religion, would that change your answer? Maybe it depends on which specific religion we're speaking of, or maybe you don't care one way or the other, but some potential customers are likely to prefer their musical instruments to be nothing more than that - devices for making music rather than as billboards for non-musical points of view which they may not share, or which their audiences may not share.

Personally I could give a hoot. Does it sound good? I'm more concerned with that than who could possibly be offended by my uke brand!

Just as a follow up to the peeling string issue in the OP's first post. I just got a slimline tenor through HMS and had the same thing on one of the strings. I put low-G worth clears on it and will never look back. The peeling string was weird and really messed with the intonation noticibly. The worth strings to my ear are more articulate.

I had no idea that KoAloha uses christian symbolism in their headstock design before I saw this thread.

Do I think the headstock design is cool? Yes. I can appreciate the beauty and architectual wonder of churches and cathedrals, and in the same manner I can appreciate the cool and unusual design of my KoAloha's headstock.

Last edited:
Just as a follow up to the peeling string issue in the OP's first post. I just got a slimline tenor through HMS and had the same thing on one of the strings. I put low-G worth clears on it and will never look back. The peeling string was weird and really messed with the intonation noticibly. The worth strings to my ear are more articulate.

Weird huh? Never seen anything like that and I've gone through some strings.

The religious symbolism ends any interest I'd have in this brand. Poor marketing, although perhaps personally satisfying to the manufacturer.

Hah. I had the same reaction...

Originally Posted by GmanJeff; "The religious symbolism ends any interest I'd have in this brand. Poor marketing, although perhaps personally satisfying to the manufacturer." Hah. I had the same reaction...

Oh my...you lost interest over headstock symbolism?

I once had a MP custom uke made WITH the crown headstock, but only because I thought it was cool looking...(and also because it looked like Bart Simpson's haircut.)

My KoAloha concert was made in 2002... back in the day when both the front and back were one piece koa instead of being book-matched. Nice low action without any string buzz. PERFECT!

I love that uke!

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe the Martin three point head stock symbolizes the holy trinity?

Rats, I'll have to re think my ukulele inventory now.

(Or maybe not)

Interesting. I just watched the KoAloha documentary from 2011. I think my dad was born in Paia. Got to ask my cousin if she knows for sure.

I was Buddhist so their logo doesn't have as much significance to me. Always thought it was a cool design.

OK. Turning from religion to strings. Worth CL sound like the originals on both my KoAloha l/n pineapple and Koalana concert (part of the early crack-prone but not mine run).

OK. Turning from religion to strings. Worth CL sound like the originals on both my KoAloha l/n pineapple and Koalana concert (part of the early crack-prone but not mine run).

When I had a KoAloha LN pineapple, the G and A strings were not from a CL set. They had higher tension, like those from the CM set. the G/A strings from the CL set are noticeably floppier. (This was a 2015 model.)

Top Bottom