Looking for integrated scales and chords

Alytw

Reaction score
I am pretty new to the Uke, but when playing guitar I have learned the movable chord shapes and mapped the notes around the shape for M,m,dim etc.

For example, if I play a specific inversion of an am chord, I know where notes in the am scale are relative to the chord pattern. This then can be moved to any key. I think of this as one pattern based around a specific chord position.

I find this a good way to be able to improvise and link passages over key changes and it also helps me see where other chords come from.

In an attempt to speed up learning this on the Uke, I was wondering if there are any existing resources available?

If not, I'll create them myself, but I'm hoping something is available.

Thanks

Adam

There is a great deal of free literature on the internet. If you search "ukulele chords images" you'll pull up a hundred or so chord charts to sift through. The set of moveable chords is quite limited compared to the guitar and even more so compared to the mandolin. And, of course, extended chords beyond the 7ths are somewhat intellectual musical fantasy exercise since you only get ( at most ) four notes in a strummed chord not to mention a limited scale. I like the keyboard images that show every note in a given key...usually highlighting the root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th, so you can mix and match those intervals to concoct your own inversions. Sounds like this is more your style and always it's nice to know where the root and the 7th are.

Ukebuddy is a fast, responsive, and thoughtfully-done web site that offers 10 to 20 versions of most chords. There's also a reverse "chord finder" that comes in handy once in a while.

I am pretty new to the Uke, but when playing guitar I have learned the movable chord shapes and mapped the notes around the shape for M,m,dim etc.

For example, if I play a specific inversion of an am chord, I know where notes in the am scale are relative to the chord pattern. This then can be moved to any key. I think of this as one pattern based around a specific chord position.

Fred Sokolow covers exactly this in his book/CD Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps - everything from moveable chords to scales to "boxes" familiar to guitar players. I'm not sure if there's anything comparable online or free, but this is a great reference book for any uke player who wants to go beyond "play by numbers" strumming from chord grids and actually understand what's going on.

Janeray, thanks this looks interesting. From the table of contents it might have a bit of what I'm looking for. I've searched around and this seems the closest so far.

Thanks

PPG,

Thanks, I have tried ukebuddy and like it a lot (usually for the chord namer). Not exactly what I'm looking for though.

I have done quite a bit of searching before posting. Janeray's suggestion is the closest that I have seen.

The ezfolk website has a lot good information (free!) on various chord shapes

Since the intervals on the ukulele are identical to the highest four strings of a guitar, you don't have to learn anything new. Just shift it up 5 frets.

Last edited:
Since the intervals on the ukulele are identical to the highest four strings of a guitar, you don't have to learn anything new. Just shift it up 5 frets.

Yes, but I haven't played guitar for a few years and don't remember them. But thank you, I didn't think of that. I'm sure it is much easier to find this for the guitar, then adjust as you say.

Top Bottom