Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Hymn Book for Ukulele?

Default Good Hymn Book for Ukulele?

Does anyone know of a good hymn book which would combine a lead sheet with chords? Something like the 365 books?

Not trying to get an argument going about religion...just seeing if you have any ideas

Not a book but I like a site called classic country song lyrics .com and one of the choices is country gospel with lots of very playable songs.

Here are some websites for free hymns. You can print the pdf's out.

http://www.music-folk-play-hymns.com...-Hymn-Tab.html
    http://moronisuke.blogspot.com/p/lds-song-tabs.html

Here is a site with videos to help you learn the songs:
    http://ezfolk.com/tag/gospel-ukulele/

http://www.augsburgfortress.org/stor...usic-and-Hymns
    The ELW Guitar Accompaniment Edition includes the melody line and chord names for a large collection of hymns and liturgical music. Some of the arrangements are simplified (in comparison with the organist's edition), and it's pricey, but it's pretty exhaustive.
    Last edited by Ruben Mutiny; 04-24-2016 at 04:02 PM.

there's the huge hymn fake book: http://www.amazon.com/Hymn-Fake-Book.../dp/0634010433

also there's a series of newer hymns called: All the Best Songs of Praise and Worship

The spiral bound is piano score + chords. Looks to be 4 books in the series.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 04-25-2016 at 05:58 AM.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

HymnFavorites for Ukulele by Hal Leonard. Leonard seems to have a good reputation with his uke books.

Hymn Favorites is a nice, relatively small collection (32 vs several hundred vs 1000). The fake book looks like a great value, especially in the light of ELW's price tag.
    Last edited by Ruben Mutiny; 04-25-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben Mutiny View Post
    Hymn Favorites is a nice, small collection. The fake book looks like a great value, especially in the light of ELW's price tag.
    a bad thing about the hymn fake book is that it uses the more traditional key signatures. That means there's quite a few hymns in Bb, Eb, E, etc. In some cases I just wrote in transpose chord names myself.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The ELW book is more expensive than I would like (I would have to admit that I looked to see if a PDF of it was floating on the web), and as bnolsen just mentioned, the keys of the Hynn Fakebook are not really conducive to ukulele. I have a PhD in Music Education, so I could transpose keys--but this is "fun time" for me where I want to be able to just sit and play.

At $6.95 via the iBook Store, I picked up the Hymn Favorites for Ukulele. There are only 26 hymns there, and it took all of 20 minutes to play through them--but that is definitely in the right direction, and fairly priced.

Incidentally, only one surprise E major chord along the way--and I actually managed to pull that off today.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    a bad thing about the hymn fake book is that it uses the more traditional key signatures. That means there's quite a few hymns in Bb, Eb, E, etc. In some cases I just wrote in transpose chord names myself.

Same deal with ELW. Some of the hymns that are not in "guitar friendly" keys include alternate chords with capo positioning recommendations. Of course some guitar friendly keys (i.e., E major) are at enmity with the ukulele.
    Incidentally, hymns are surprisingly fun to play on the uke. Most are written in four parts which correspond well to the four strings. They offer great introductions to chords solos, passing notes, and other musical concepts.
    Last edited by Ruben Mutiny; 04-25-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Thread Information