Advice needed please

miche

Reaction score
Hi all
I m halfway through my first ukulele and got on to bending the sides yesterday and one side took me over five hours and it still isn't finished. Half way through bending I realised that one half of the side was less resistant then the other. I measured it and realised I had screwed up. One half of the side is 3mm thick! I thought I had thicknessed them correctly but obviously not!
So my question is to I take more material off of the unbent side meaning I would have two sides of different thicknesses on the Instrument or do I just go with what I have and struggle to bend the other side that is also 3mm in parts.

Thank you

3mm is way too thick for sides.. I normaly bend mahogany at 1.9 mm..but Im struggling with some sides i'm bending at the moment that are wrinkling/cracking at the waist..I cured this by thinning em down to 1.3 mm...it is possible to unbend the sides and start again. Good luck ;)

What Ken said!

You could probably use a domestic iron (secrecy needed here ;)) to flatten the part-bent side, using a damp (not wet) cloth if it's stubborn.

A card scraper will work better than a plane to complete the thicknessing if the result is still not quite flat.

If the first side is already bent....I'd leave it alone and thin the other side. It shouldn't be a problem to have one side thicker than the other. You'll see a step at the neck and butt joints, where the sides meet, but you can sand them even

Thanks for the advice everyone in the end I tried to flatten it out and ruined it so I am now going to have to replace the walnut sides. I was going to just bin it all and start again but the top and back came out so nice it would be a shame. Lesson learned!

If it's a soprano size ..I can let you have some spare sides ready sanded to thickness for you to practice on ... they are made of Makore, you can have e'm for the cost of postage.:)

Top Bottom