NUD: Blackbird Farallon

Nice playing in the sound samples! Sounds really good. Enjoyed the back-to-back comparisons. As a former Clara owner, I've been planning to get another in due time. The Farallon sounds really great and may edge the Clara on sound alone, but then there is portability, and. Doh! Eenie, meanie, minie, moh! ;-)

Congratulations! What a great uke.
3 things:
1. Almost indestructible
2. Sustainable materials
3. Superior sound
These things are going to make more and more people want them. I know I do! Now, when the price comes down to affordable.....

I want one. Thank you for post. I'd love to hear a BTU vrs Farallon due to another posted comments about sound. I like spruce tops but also really liked the sound of the Farallon. I pay High g so........... would love to hear more of that. I agree with Nickie.......... those three things are going to push a lot of people to Blackbird plus the design and the sound. I have three solid tops Tenors I now baby with humidifiers and think one of these might just be the ticket. Congratulation on the Ukulele and thanks for posting.

Heyyyy, I've gotten my Farallon as well and I love it!! Bought my Clara last year and this year the new Farallon. I'm done- 2 perfect ukuleles as far as I'm concerned. Since I have my Clara in low g, I've strung my Farallon in high g with Ken Middleton's Living Water strings. The Farallon has wonderful sustain and tonal quality- it projects well and the tone is rich and beautiful, playability great. I am very very glad I bought one!

Heyyyy, I've gotten my Farallon as well and I love it!! Bought my Clara last year and this year the new Farallon. I'm done- 2 perfect ukuleles as far as I'm concerned. Since I have my Clara in low g, I've strung my Farallon in high g with Ken Middleton's Living Water strings. The Farallon has wonderful sustain and tonal quality- it projects well and the tone is rich and beautiful, playability great. I am very very glad I bought one!

Congratulations! I'm enjoying mine more every day. The solid feel of a one-piece neck+body seems much more noticeable on Farallon than on Clara, and I also like Farallon's tiny neck heel, which makes the upper frets a lot more accessible. I'm looking forward to others' reactions to this fun new instrument.

You really must do a NUD, they are such wonderful instruments and they are so new. The fact you have yours in high G a sound sample would be a real treat for all of us. Congratulations to both of you for being the first with these unique tenors

I appreciate this update! I had a Clara and loved the tone, but found the shape awkward and ultimately kind of uncomfortable to play. The Farallon's more traditional shape is much more inviting.

Completely agree. I liked the Clara for it's tone and playability (great action and easy neck), but the body was awkward and slippery to hold. The new shape looks great.

-Steve

Assume this comes with a padded gig bag... if so, does anyone know if this will fit into a standard tenor hard shell case, like an Oahu?

Thanks,

Steve

Assume this comes with a padded gig bag... if so, does anyone know if this will fit into a standard tenor hard shell case, like an Oahu?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, my Farallon came with a padded (Access) gig bag, and it fits nicely in the Oahu hard shell case that came with another recent tenor purchase.

Thanks Good Boy Uke and DownUpDave for welcoming my post about MY Farallon. Sorry I'm a bit late in responding. I've been thinking about the suggested sound sample so I'll try to get one up eventually. Unfortunately, I have a sprained left thumb so I can't play very easily right now. Maybe I'll have a friend play some for you guys and post that. In the meantime, I am still playing a little and falling more in love with this ukulele every day.

In addition to the Apogee MiC connected to an Apple MacBook Pro, in what environment did you record? The tone of both ukes are very clean and articulate; the Farallon with more, "shimmer." Sweet...!

EmmaQ would love to hear sound sample. I got am email from Joe showing a Farallon sitting in a Kamaka HSC they had at Blackbird so also nice to know Oahu cases also fit. For me, I got to have a HSC on a instrument of this price and quality even though it's almost indestructible ! (g). I'd also like to hear a BBT back to back with a Farallon. Maybe HMS will do one. This is exciting stuff

In addition to the Apogee MiC connected to an Apple MacBook Pro, in what environment did you record? The tone of both ukes are very clean and articulate; the Farallon with more, "shimmer." Sweet...!

The environment was nothing notable. Just a room in a house near Washington, DC.

PS: Leicester won!

I'm getting ready to place an order for a Farallon and wondered how you felt about some of the options

- the soft case that it comes with, any need for the extra Mono case or another hard case option?

- the aluminum fret board markers?

- high vs low G?

Any insight would be appreciated.

The Farallon is a ukulele that sounds fabulous in BOTH low g and high g. I have mine currently strung in high g for several reasons- I play in a uke group where more of the players use low g and I need a uke that stands out, not just blends in. I also play a lot of Fingerstyle in which much of the music is written for high g. That being said, I have played the Farallon in low g and I LOVE how it sounds- it's full and rich. Same with it in high g too, of course. I do have the Clara and I have it in low g so I'm covered with both tunings with 2 terrific ukes.
The case mine came with is one made by Access. Though it's a soft case, it is well padded and I can't imagine any damage happening to the ukulele when it's in there. However, it's not my favorite soft case. About aluminum dots- I personally love the fretboard without fretboard dots and find the dots on the side perfect to use. No problem whatsoever.Congratulations, by the way, for deciding to order one- you won't be disappointed. It's a great ukulele!

Last edited:
I have a sound sample below and I wasn't sure if I should add it to this particular post or start another NUD. I ended up doing another NUD but I'm thinking now I should've just done it all on this post- that way folks can read all the comments for low and high g. Anyway, I'm recovering from a sprained left thumb AND, at best, I'm an intermediate player so I decided to ask my stepson/music teacher do make the sound sample instead of me. I apologize for the glare on the fretboard- it's really a beautiful looking as well as beautiful sounding uke.

Nice playing on the sound sample, and I think you've captured the Farallon tone very well: lively, present, and full. I love mine!

Top Bottom