Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NUD: Blackbird Farallon

Default NUD: Blackbird Farallon

Yesterday I received one of Blackbird's new Ekoa tenors, Farallon. I've been a huge fan of Blackbird's concert-scale Clara and was excited to order their new tenor to enable worry-free use in various settings (like playing outdoors, at the beach, while traveling, etc.). I hoped Farallon would have playability and tone at least as nice as Clara's.

So far, Farallon does not disappoint. To me, Farallon's tone has Clara's warmth but is deeper, more resonant, and more precise sounding, probably because of Farallon's longer scale, larger/deeper body, and greater string tension.

One note -- in this post:
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...73#post1838973
    UU member oregonuke mentioned s/he saw a production Farallon with a "protective finish [that] appears to be a bit rough - sort of an orange peel look/feel". The finish on my Farallon is the same as Clara's -- smooth satin.

I'll add more comments later as time permits, but in the meantime below are links to a sound sample and photos. Both compare Clara and Farallon side by side, which I thought might be of interest to current Clara owners.

Pictures:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6cwfjeqx0...5MAGhooka?dl=0

Sound sample:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-706114832/blackbirds
    Sound sample is unedited and was recorded straight through -- sorry for the background noise and goofs...
    Last edited by good_uke_boy; 04-30-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Great pics and playing.

Thanks!

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Your sound sample is going to sell a lot of Farallons. That was "Seriously" beautiful sounding, great job playing as well. If I closed my eyes I could envision a very high priced custom koa ukulele.

Very very bad raging UAS at the moment. Thank you so much and congratulations. First kid on the block is massive fun
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

They both sound great but I do think the Farallon has a bit more resonance and clarity.

Yes the tenor has more warmth and a mellower tone.
    The Clara sounds great too. Just a slightly fuller deeper tone on the Farallon to me.

Nice to have both.

Congratulations GUB, there's a beautiful bell like quality to the sound, simply wonderful. Excellent job with the sound samples too, thanks for sharing.
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Oh man, now I neeeeeeeeeed one
    Beautiful- congrats!
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Congrats on the new Farallon. Your sound sample does a good job of showcasing the beautiful voice of this ukulele. I was the one that commented on them from the Reno show so glad to hear that Joe opted to go for the same finish as the Clara, which makes sense. I loved everything about the Farallon and hope to have one to be a companion to my Blackbird BTU.

Thanks for posting this thread. I own a Blackbird BTU and was curious how the new Farallon and BTU compared. As expected, the Farallon is more mellow to the BTU's being more crisp, at least to my ears. In the world of wood ukes, I guess it would be like comparing mahogany (eKoa) to koa or spruce (carbon fibre).

Congrats on your new Blackbird!
    Gillian
    ~KoAloha longneck soprano (KSM-02)
    ~Kamaka Longneck Concert(HF2-LK)
    ~Compass Rose custom tenor
    ~Compass Rose custom microjumbo tenor
    ~Blackbird BTU tenor
    ~Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (koa)
    ~Duke 10 tenor banjo ukulele

~Ohana OBU-22 fretless bass ukulele

My YouTube channel

Thanks for the thread- enjoy your new tenor; it sounds great with your fine playing!
    Richard from Reno
    soprano and concert guy

Thread Information