Hello from Lake Chapala, Mexico

chena

Reaction score
Baritone player for two years, am interested in the U Bass now. Any suggestions????:iwant:

Baritone player for two years, am interested in the U Bass now. Any suggestions????:iwant:

Hola! Welcome aboard. My family and I are very interested in Lago de Chapala and Ajijic. Would love to learn more about the area from someone who lives there, but I might private message you if that's okay.

I am just returning to uke myself after a few years playing other instruments. At the moment a baritone is all I have and I am loving it, but am considering getting back into concert scale. Just not certain yet.

As for U bass, I have heard nothing but positive things about the Kala U bass but I believe there are several options. I wish I had more info or suggestions for you, but it's just not something I know enough about.

Mainly I saw Lake Chapala in your heading and my eyes perked up. I wanted to come on to say hello. I was a member of some other uke forums years back and have been on many different musician forums, but this one seems to really be filled with cool and knowledgeable people.

Have a great day and don't be a stranger!

Welcome to UU.

I have a U-Bass. My recommendation for your first U-Bass is the Kala Rumbler. I've played 3 or 4 of these at different times and they are consistent and predictable. They do a nice job of mimicing the sound of an upright bass with the standard black rubber strings.
Before I bought my bass I tried a GoldTone version at Guitar Center. It was sharp anywhere above the fifth fret, and got worse as you went higher. That comment reflects the one GT u-bass I picked up on the day I tried it. Other instruments may be fine.
In the end I selected the Kala Hutch Hutchinson model. The sound was very similar to the Rumbler - the shop had one of each and I spent an hour going back and forth between them. The two things that conspired to encourage me to spend the extra money were the upper fret access (allowing you to more easily play the bass solo in The Waiting and the intro to Sweet Child) and the ever so slightly better tone from the solid spruce top (in my opinion anyway) unplugged.
I have no regrets on my decision.

Good luck, and please post a NUD thread in Uke Talk when you get your U-Bass.

Greetings and welcome. I recently got the Oscar Schmidt flame maple bass uke. No hipshot tuners, but it has gotten favorable reviews and I think it's gorgeous. No obvious flaws that I can see or hear. Got it for less than $250 with a decent gig bag included and free shipping. It looks and plays great.

http://www.ukulelemag.com/gear-reviews/gear-roundup-bass-ukes

Last edited:
Hola and welcome from sunny Arizona!

Top Bottom