Collings orders

From my understanding, part of the supply issues with Collings is that Bill Collings builds the ukes himself, while he hires luthiers to build at least some if not most of his guitars. So I guess he could get backed up every now and then.

They have often complained that ukes take as much time to build as guitars, but sell for considerably less. As a result, precious resources were being allocated toward a very low margin product (resulting in the recent price increases in their ukes).

When I talked to Breedlove this was the reason they gave me as to why they stopped making ukes.

This is what I heard from customer service in early September:

Hi Eddie.
We pulled our uke folks to build our Waterloo guitars a while back and haven't been able to get back to them. We also started building our cases, which has further complicated things. However, we are trying to see if we can work at least a few back into production as we all miss building (and playing) them! No real timeline on that for now...We still have quite a list of old orders...
Thanks for the uke support.
Steve

Big Collings fan here. Impeccable finish detail, great neck profile, and wonderful tone. Badly regretted selling my UT2 Doghair, but recently picked up another Collings tenor (courtesy of Hodge), so I now have maple/spruce ukes in concert and tenor. They are wonderful in every respect. Still hope to replace the Doghair someday if the right one comes along (most are rosewood fretboard and I think that styles begs for ebony, which is what I had. Stoopid self! ;-).

I meant to post this one a while back but never got around to it until now. DHR guitars in Cincinnati has a left-handed Collings
UC-1K concert in stock. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.dhrguitarexperience.com/new-products-4/collings-uc1-ukuele

For you right handed players, this could easily be converted to right handed with a new nut.

If my wife hadn't just given birth I would snap that up (I'm a lefty). As it is I most certainly can't justify spending that amount on me right now!

[/I]Big Collings fan here. Impeccable finish detail, great neck profile, and wonderful tone. Badly regretted selling my UT2 Doghair

Thanks for passing along your response from customer service.

I really, really wanted a doghair when I saw them listed on various sites, but didn't have the option to pick one up when they were available.

It doesn't sound promising that they'll really ramp up production again, but you never know.

If anyone is in a real desperate need to buy a new Collings tenor or concert the 12th Fret in Toronto had both in stock when I was in there a few weeks ago.

Gryphon has 4.....3 new, and 1 used
ttps://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products?taxonomy=instruments&q=collings+ukulele

Oklahoma City music and sound usually has at least two on their wall display.

I did enquire with Collings some weeks back. Their response was that they were definitely going to make more, but no date had been scheduled. So don't panic!

If in the meantime anyone has a TV Yellow Collings uke they're willing to part with - message me :)

I realize this is an old thread... Does anyone know the latest about Collings ukes?
Will they be made again now that others are in charge of production? (RIP, Bill.)

I realize this is an old thread... Does anyone know the latest about Collings ukes?
Will they be made again now that others are in charge of production? (RIP, Bill.)

Just curious or are in interested in an acquisition?

Top Bottom