Alternate chord shapes resource?

raduray

Reaction score
I have found many sites that show chords, but none that show more than one way to play any given chord.

Several examples:

E Chord: some charts show it as 1402, others as 4442. Both are hard to play. But in researching it, I found mention of 4447 which is much easier. However, that doesn't show up on any chart I've found.

D Chord: charts show it as 2220, but you can play it as 2225 which is not shown on charts.

D7 Chord: charts show it as 2223 (not really that hard), but my teacher showed me 2020 which is easier, but not on chart.

What I'm looking for is a chart that shows multiple shapes for any given chord, at least the popular ones.

The Hal Leonard Ukulele Chord Finder is a good resource for multiple fingerings for each chord.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1423400429/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

If you have a smartphone, I have found a couple of apps that show various positions for each chord. One is called Chords4Ukes and the other one is called UkeMaster. I have an iPhone, so I don't know if these apps are available for Android phones, but I imagine they are.

Roy Sakuma's Treasury of Ukulele Chords is a classic. I found it much easier to use than Hal Leonard's book, and I have detailed the reasons for this my Amazon review, one of forty reviews giving the Sakuma book a five-star rating. You'll need to seek it out, buy it used, or have someone photocopy it for you, but trust me: it's a winner.

Last edited:
Here's one that's been around a long time ... Ukulele Chord Finder and easy to use. Click on the chord to see 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th position if applicable. There used to be a downloadable version one can keep on their desktop.

I use the android app "UChord".
I haven't tried a whole lot to determine if it was the best.
It works just fine, so I don't need to.
It shows several alternative chord shapes for each chord.

Igorthebarbarian, the one on EZfolk is great, thank you!
I'd visited other pages there, never noticed this one.

Roy Sakuma's Treasury of Ukulele Chords is a classic. I found it much easier to use than Hal Leonard's book, and I have detailed the reasons for this my Amazon review, one of forty reviews giving the Sakuma book a five-star rating. You'll need to seek it out, buy it used, or have someone photocopy it for you, but trust me: it's a winner.

Some reviews mention that it doesn't give the fingering numbers in the diagrams? Is that true?

Some bits should be left to your own imagination, I wouldn't see missing fingering numbers as a disadvantage.

Just found this on another thread, somehow fitting exactly to this context:
Jim Beloff had an excellent article in Ukulele Magazine about using your pinkie in chord formations. He states that it can make changing between different chord forms much easier.

One thing I took away from this was the idea not getting locked into using specific fingers for a specific shape. It's been something I've done for a while, actually. When learning a new song, I try to look through the chords to see the shapes and notes. If I can keep fingers down through multiple shapes, or slide fingers to the appropriate spot, I try to make that happen. It seriously makes the left-hand burden a lot easier.

Some bits should be left to your own imagination, I wouldn't see missing fingering numbers as a disadvantage.

OK, to me it is. I don't always use the recommended fingerings, but it's nice to see what's considered the standard method as a place to start. They usually arrived at that finger placement for a reason.

The Kiwi Ukulele Chord Chart shows finger positions and can be downloaded here. The Chord Charts from Live Ukulele shows 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th position chords and Brad did a great job creating the chart. Chord names are on the top row and the positions are listed vertically.

Agree, Louis. I had to check my Sakuma as I never ever gave a nod to anyone else's suggested fingering, even as a beginner. Like you, I do what seems natural, and also often use a specific fingering depending on the subsequent chord.

Something tells me we think alike on strum patterns in tabs, too. Down, down, up, down, up... Lol. But, I'm sure they help some players, though. It's all good.

Brian's Huge Chord List seems to be down.

Top Bottom