Alternate chord shapes resource?

Brian's Huge Chord List seems to be down.
It’s been gone for awhile. Bummer. It was my #2 resource behind Uke Buddy.

Old thread . . . But, I love Smartchord.de (Android app only) it has the best chord alternates function.

C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B C

C D E F G A B C Root
E F G A B C D E 3rd
G A B C D E F G 5th
B C D E F G A B 7th

A chord template in five lines with no need for an App. Just add a fretboard map.

Are there missing sharps and flats? For example, D chord would be F# as 3rd.

deleted duplicate post

Last edited:
No there are no missing sharps of flats.
The C major scale is used as a template for any scale. Its a good template because it is easy to write out. You can use the Am scale for the minor chord template.
So for the chords in the key of D you make the table starting with the D chromatic scale and the D major scale in the first line. Then you find the 3rd, 5th and 7th. You may not need the chromatic scale, but it shows you how the scale works without trying to remember a formula.
Once you get the hang of it you can also write in the chord names under the columns. Its called the diatonic sequence.
The 3rd, 5th and 7th rows are actually modes of the major scale. You can find the greek names if you are bored, or just remember them as 3rd, 5th and 7th mode things. You only need to know the right technical names if you are going teach a class. When you are working out the chords on the fretboards, you don't need any extra info to distract you.
Once you get the hang of it, the more complicated chords will not be hard to work out with just your fretboard and your brain.
The on-line apps are nice and easy. But they wont show you arpeggio patterns for example. When you are fingerpicking or playing chord fragments, you don't need to make a whole chord shape, you can use what ever is in reach to make the chord or chord fragment.

Some sites do show you possible arpeggios:
https://ukebuddy.com/ukulele-arpeggios/Cmaj7-arpeggio

I understood what you mean't Bill1, so you have stacked Cmaj7, Dm7, Em7, Fmaj7, G7, Am7, Bm7b5 Cmaj7 on the paper. Your way is somewhat complicated to use if I may say. Easier just have our diatonic chords without writing to pick every other note starting from a root note of every scale degree, or rather just know what chords will be what kind.

I like theory, but sites like ukebuddy are golden :)
And we can't realistically expect/demand some newbie to just wanting to play given chords to a song, to know much chord theory anyways.

Sup! How do you treat these chords?
Can I use them or should I find something more interesting ?

Last edited:
Yes, you can use those chords. Don't see why not. I prefer open chords.

I, on the other hand, prefer closed chords. And I would probably play that 1645 progression as:

C: 543X
F: 555X
Am: 545X
G: 777X

However, my version wouldn't be any more interesting than those open chords. If you want interesting, you need to start playing with different chord qualities, like some add9's or minor7's or a 7sus2 (my new obsession).

Here is a chart from which you can see fretting positions for many of the major chords in GCEA tuning (click to enlarge):

GCEA.jpg

The color scheme is as follows: blue->root, red->3rd, green->5th. For an ordinary major chord, each string needs to have a finger placed at one of the dots (unless it's open) and each color must be represented at least once. You can also visualize minor chords by mentally shifting the red dots one fret up on the diagram (flattening the 3rd). In addition, dominant 7th notes are two frets up in the diagram from root notes.

Last edited:
Here is a chart from which you can see fretting positions for many of the major chords in GCEA tuning:
https://rlgreene.net/Tunings/GCEA.jpg
The color scheme is as follows: blue->root, red->3rd, green->5th. For an ordinary major chord, each string needs to have a finger placed at one of the dots (unless it's open) and each color must be represented at least once. You can also visualize minor chords by mentally shifting the red dots one fret up on the diagram (flattening the 3rd). In addition, dominant 7th notes are two frets up in the diagram from root notes.

Really nice chart. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom