new Planet Waves NS micro sound hole tuner

It arrived today. I dropped it into the body of every uke I tried it on, so this is definitely a one-uke tuner. The first one I tried it on was an Islander soprano, and I thought at first it wouldn't fit. Before I generalized to "it won't work on sopranos", I tried it on a Luna soprano pineapple, and it went into place easily. It also worked well on a concert, tenor, baritone, and travel guitar. I like the display, like the convenience of having such a small, unobtrusive tuner (although Snarks on headstocks do not bother me), and may order one or two more.

It arrived today. I dropped it into the body of every uke I tried it on, so this is definitely a one-uke tuner. The first one I tried it on was an Islander soprano, and I thought at first it wouldn't fit. Before I generalized to "it won't work on sopranos", I tried it on a Luna soprano pineapple, and it went into place easily. It also worked well on a concert, tenor, baritone, and travel guitar. I like the display, like the convenience of having such a small, unobtrusive tuner (although Snarks on headstocks do not bother me), and may order one or two more.

Thanks for the follow-up Kathryn! :)

I already have a half-dozen of the NS Micro tuners that I clip on the headstock and usually leave them on for the ukes that I have in rotation, and it would be quite pricey to upgrade them all to this new one - I might see about making an adapter clip to I can mount one in the soundhole - they are easily removed from the headstock clip so that part is simple but figuring out something that can hang firmly in the soundhole is going to be tricky...

otherwise I'm back to using a pea-sized ball of blue funtak to attach to the side/upper bout area...

Booli, do you have a photo of that? I have a few of the mini tuners that work pretty well for me, but I'm going to try one of these on my new uke.

Booli, do you have a photo of that? I have a few of the mini tuners that work pretty well for me, but I'm going to try one of these on my new uke.

Sure - but just to be clear, do you need a photo of:

how the tuner comes apart from the clip?
how it can attach to the side with funtak?
or a photo of both?

as far as adapting one of the previous generation of NS Micro tuners to clip in the soundhole, I have not done that yet at all, and it was an idea that I just had when reading this thread and posted it right then,

So I first need to fiddle with some bits and pieces to see if I can make some kind of adapter, which will not damage the uke, and have not had time yet - is it this that you might want a photo of?

Please advise :)

How it attaches. I've tried taking off the clip and figuring out how to secure it to the top, but never could get it. Thanks.

I guess I wasn't making myself clear. I know how to take off the clip, done it many times as I attempted to find different ways to attach the tuner to my bass ukes, but, I received the soundhole tuner today and discovered that it works in a special way on my custom made Telecaster style bass.

I designed and had that bass made by Bruce Herron of Blue Star Guitar in Michigan (who makes the Konablaster). As I was working on the design, I found a tuner out of China made to insert in the side of an acoustic instrument much like the preamp/tuners. I assumed that would work inserted in the side of a my solid body bass, so I sent it to Bruce and he fit it in the Tele mini bass. Of course it didn't work, not even the slightest move on the readout. Bummer! I removed it, which left a gapping hole in the side of my bass.

Tele bass tuner inserted.jpg

At the 2105 NAMM show I saw a new headstock tuner D'Addario was showing the flipped up to turn on and rotated. I bought three and use them on the headstock of my basses, but one I removed the clip, drilled through it and attached it to the pickguard of the Tele. Worked for a while, but in drilling, I nicked the circuitboard and soon it died.

Tele bass flip tuner.jpg

On a whim, I clipped one of the others in the empty hole of the Tele and it worked, though it sticks out obtrusively.

Tele tuner obtrusive.jpg

But looking at the new soundhole tuner, I thought I would at least try it in the gapping hole on the Tele. I unscrewed and removed the metal clip and hey, it works, except is has a tough time with the low E string, but gets there. So I'm going to reshape the hole to fit the the new tuner and even cut a slot for the clip flange, and hopefully that will help it tune the E better. If it works, I'm might just insert one in each of my solid body basses.

Tele new tuner.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I wasn't making myself clear. I know how to take off the clip, done it many times as I attempted to find different ways to attach the tuner to my bass ukes...

Ok, apparently not, and it seems that my previous explanations were not seen, as I had said that I DID NOT CREATE THIS YET, so it does NOT EXIST, and sadly because of that, I cannot offer you photos of something that I have yet to imagine and create, see below:

...figuring out something that can hang firmly in the soundhole is going to be tricky...

...as far as adapting one of the previous generation of NS Micro tuners to clip in the soundhole, I have not done that yet at all, and it was an idea that I just had when reading this thread and posted it right then...

So I first need to fiddle with some bits and pieces to see if I can make some kind of adapter, which will not damage the uke, and have not had time yet

Sorry to disappoint you right now. :)

My request was to show the pea-sized ball of blue funtak to attach to the side/upper bout area, which I would like to see, but it looks like I have a solution for myself, by installing the sound hole tuner in the side of the bass.

My request was to show the pea-sized ball of blue funtak to attach to the side/upper bout area, which I would like to see, but it looks like I have a solution for myself, by installing the sound hole tuner in the side of the bass.

Ok. My bad. I am sorry that *I* misunderstood what you were asking. Please forgive me.

There's really nothing to show.

1. Take apart the tuner from the clip. Then pull off a 1/4" or so length of blue funtak, roll it into a ball that is the size of a large pea as shown below:
YUvIekx.jpg

2. Then press it ON to the little shaft that is exposed from the bottom of the NS Micro tuner head once you remove it from the clip:
rw9eXgG.jpg

3.Then find a suitable place on your instrument. I might place my tuner where the neck meets the body, on the upper bout, but on the SIDE where the neck is, such that I can see the display. Then just press it on and wiggle it a little to seat the funtak:
K3Thovb.jpg

4. Just make sure that you position the face of the tuner head so that the display is easy to read:
TZBbRNQ.jpg

That's it.

PLEASE let me know if this answers the request on how to do this.

Mahalo - Booli

Got it, thanks very much Booli, I like what you did. I'll have to test where I'll can place it since my straps all go across that location.

Got it, thanks very much Booli, I like what you did. I'll have to test where I'll can place it since my straps all go across that location.

No problem. Glad to help. Sorry it too so much back-and-forth. :)

I have two of these soundhole tuners now. I like them. Classy.
I can see the read out better because it is closer to my eye or because it stands out more.
It is unobtrusive and less likely it catch on gig bag when removing the uke. I don't think it effects the sound of the top.
Only downside is you would want one for each uke because you can't switch out easily.

I was looking at that one as well as the TC Electronic PolyTune clip (which has a strobe mode as well as can help tune all the strings at the same time)($49)

Tuning all the strings at once only works with a guitar. When used with a uke, it's one string at a time. I think the PolyTune is a little expensive for use with a uke, but after having it for a year I have warmed up to it and use it regularly. It's very accurate.

Do I want to force the energy of my little soundboard's vibrations to shake that thing, too?
It looks spiffy, but I don't want one.

Do I want to force the energy of my little soundboard's vibrations to shake that thing, too?
It looks spiffy, but I don't want one.

I have three of them and I really like them, especially on stage. They are always there and ready to use but out of the way.

With a cross brace below and above the sound hole there is not a "wwhole lotta shakin' goin' on". That was my best Elvis impersonation, how'd I do :cool:

Top Bottom