Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obsessed Ukulele Hoarder - needs MOAR - read inside :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Booli, you never know what satirical gift might show up at your door, now.
    I had not thought of that - oh well.

I do not think it possible to close Pandora's Box.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!?
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    OH NOES!

not to make you feel bad........but

Tuners, neck, freboard, bridge, nut and saddle can all be salvaged from a smashed/cracked body uke provided that the cracks are beyond repair.

Then you can get a cigar box for $2 and rebuild it into something truly your own.
    Exactly, I was gonna salvage some of the stuff and use for a future project and I was "storing" it in the trash bin next to my desk (in my man cave I might add), but my wife was on a sacred mission to empty all bins across the house and I missed it ...

Oh well...
    I have made something truly my own anyway so that will have to suffice for now. Played the crap out of my electric uke this evening - damn fun I tell you. Now go build something of your own Booli, you know you want to !
    Last edited by cml; 05-19-2016 at 09:21 AM. Reason: missed a "my"
    "A yawn is a desperate, silent scream for coffee."

Timms Style 0 Solid Mahogany Soprano, KoAloha KCM-00 Solid Koa Concert, CML Electric Concert Ukulele, Korala PUC-20-BK Solid Plastic Concert , CML Solid Western Red Cedar/Spalted Curly Maple Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by igorthebarbarian View Post
    I always liked Hoarders on A&E. Too bad they can't reboot it for UAS!
    Makes me want to go out immediately and buy a dumpster. And I'm not even an ukulele hoarder.

Quote Originally Posted by cml View Post
    ... Now go build something of your own Booli, you know you want to !
    Ha ha - yes - I've actually got a few projects in the works but I have to do some research on how to accomplish certain things with caveman-like tools before I continue. With no budget for an upgrade to 'proper' luthery tools right now so I have to make do with what I have on hand.

One project that's almost finished is where I used a spokeshave (that I did have to buy) to carve a neck and headstock from a single 36" strip of 2x2 lumber (not sure what the wood is, but I have 4 strips of this that have been sitting in my garage for yrs, originally intended for table legs, for a table project that never happened, so I took one, and figure I have 3 more chances to start over if I do not get it right the first time) but I cannot decide on if I want to do a slotted headstock or standard, and if I want to go fretless, fret the wood as is, or make a fretboard, all on what will be a 21" scale length, and also cannot decide yet if I will build out the body to the sides with additional wood to make an upper and lower bout of sorts, and go with a neck-through solid body instrument and put an undersaddle pickup in it, or use a vary large cigar box for the body and go acoustic, with or without a pickup...if I go fretless, I do not really have to worry too much about the bridge and will likely go with something like a banjo bridge or a 1/4" threaded rod for the saddle.

Then I have to decide how I will string and tune it - CGDA or GDAE fifths tuning, or DGBE in linear or re-entrant, all not steel string of course, since steel string wrecks the carefully kept nails on my right hand, and I stopped using a pick a long time ago and really not interested in going back to one...

So I have to figure some things out...

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    ...So I have to figure some things out...
    Sounds like you do! But it's definitely possible with cave man tools, the only two power tools I've used in my project were a drill press (which you could do without, but it helps) and a jig saw (which you could also do without, but it was easier to cut the rough shape out with this than by hand).
    "A yawn is a desperate, silent scream for coffee."

Timms Style 0 Solid Mahogany Soprano, KoAloha KCM-00 Solid Koa Concert, CML Electric Concert Ukulele, Korala PUC-20-BK Solid Plastic Concert , CML Solid Western Red Cedar/Spalted Curly Maple Tenor

Booli,
    You may be overthinking this a little.
    Why not just start making sawdust?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Booli,
    You may be overthinking this a little.
    Why not just start making sawdust?
    not sure what you mean - please clarify

I've over a dozen ukes, 21 acoustic or A/E guitars, two bass gits, two banjos (the two banjoleles are counted as ukes), at least a dozen electrics, 8 or 9 amps between 30 watts and pocket size and a mandolin.

I do not have a problem.
    •Bonanza Black Walnut Oreo #291
    •Framus 6197 Tenor
    •Gretsch G9470 Clarophone Banjo Ukulele
    •Hadean UKB22 UBass Zebrawood
    •Ibanez Uew10qm Ew Concert
    •Kala KA-S Soprano
    •Kala KA-SSTU-T Travel Tenor
    •Kay Soprano (Plastic Fretboard 1950s)
    •Koalana Soprano (first gen.)
    •Lanakai LB6-S Soprano Banjolele
    •Lanakai LQA-C Concert
    •Lanakai LU21T Tenor
    •Luna Tattoo Electric Concert
    •Outdoor Ukulele Black #35
    •Outdoor Ukulele Transparent
    •Werco Metal Necked Soprano
    •Zeynel Abidin Cumbus Ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by gitarzan View Post
    I've over a dozen ukes, 21 acoustic or A/E guitars, two bass gits, two banjos (the two banjoleles are counted as ukes), at least a dozen electrics, 8 or 9 amps between 30 watts and pocket size and a mandolin.

I do not have a problem.
    No way brother, no problem, you're just getting started...

I had twenty ukuleles, two violins, a cello, a Chinese poppa and four guitars. I certainly don't have a problem.

Thread Information