My Pinol Baritone Ukulele Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got a new Pinol Baritone uke in the mail. I know they've gotten some flak on this site in the past, but it was honestly a great purchase! The customer service was great. Mr. Jerez spent a considerable amount of time helping me choose a uke that fit my play style, and I'm really satisfied with the result. I'll include a video at the bottom of this post. I really, really recommend Pinol Ukuleles; they're affordable, they're comfy, and they sound great! :D

Last edited:
Looking into this, will report back.

There's a reason they get flak, they aren't very well built. I bought one when they first came out...the tuning machines were terrible with mismatched washers and one was completely missing a washer. I wrote and got no reply so I had a local luthier fix it and do a professional setup on it and it still sounded like what it was, an inferior built baritone Uke.

Hi Nathan,
I know there seems to be some flak on Pinol, but I have to say that your Pinol sounds good to me!

Hey Rick, I'm surprised to hear that actually! Is there a chance you received a fluke? Even the K brands have been known to have duds every once in a while. I ask this because mine hasn't experienced any of those problems. The tuners keep tune nicely, and tone of the instrument is just how a baritone's should be: warm resonant, and deep. It's just kind of strange to me, all the reviews I've seen of the company have been pretty good. Like, regardless of whether or not they support the company, they say the instruments sound and look nice.

Also, thanks dsummers! :)

Hey Rick, I'm surprised to hear that actually! Is there a chance you received a fluke? Even the K brands have been known to have duds every once in a while. I ask this because mine hasn't experienced any of those problems. The tuners keep tune nicely, and tone of the instrument is just how a baritone's should be: warm resonant, and deep. It's just kind of strange to me, all the reviews I've seen of the company have been pretty good. Like, regardless of whether or not they support the company, they say the instruments sound and look nice.

Also, thanks dsummers! :)

Perhaps you are unaware of the facts Nathan, so I will chime in.

My problem is that the owner of Pinol is exploiting the work of others and charging three times more money to put his little "Pinol' stamp on the front.

The Pinol owner lies on his website and makes it appear as though Pinol has been in business since 1934, what a joke. The luthier he buys his stuff from started in 1934 with the grandfather, the dad was a drunk and sold all the old man's tools and then died of alcoholism then the grandson (a well-known Central American musician) started making guitars from his grandfather's designs some years ago.
Here is where Pinol gets their goods. Check their price sheet, they are 1/3 or less the cost of a Pinol.
https://guitarraszepeda.com/
2016 price list:
https://guitarraszepedadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/guitarras-zepeda-price-list-20162.pdf

Pinol is nothing more than a marketing ploy to prey on innocent and ignorant consumers. The company is a joke regardless of how the instruments look or sound. Period.
The fact that he wouldn't respond to Rick's issues with his uke only strengthens this belief.

UU please do not delete my post. People need to know the truth about this and the UU is an open forum.

Last edited:
I think Rick's case was special. I've been in contact with Mr. Jerez asking him for advice on instrument care and things like that. He's been really good about making sure I'm satisfied with my instrument. It seems like you have some resentment towards the company, and I don't think it's quite justified. I checked out the links you provided and I didn't see any mention of Pinol. Besides, the price sheet you provided was very limited. It didn't have nearly as much diversity as Pinol's website. Prices are sure to fluctuate

Also, I've got this screenshot of a message you sent another Pinol owner a while back. I don't think it's right to hound people just because they own an instrument by a company you don't agree with. If someone wants to talk about their uke because they're proud of it, let them. There wouldn't be such a stigma around the company if discussion were rational. Instead of attacking individual people, and bringing up past events, why don't we discuss the instruments quality, or its tone, or even its looks. Opinions like those are valid and open to civil debate. Accusing people of exploitation without any grounds to stand on is not civil, nor is it valid.

image.jpg
I'm having some trouble with the image uploader, but it seems that someone's already posted the conversation in this thread. The image is coming out very low resolution, but here's what it says:

"johnson430

Join DateOct 2014LocationPort Aransas, Texas, USAPosts740

the uke company that shall not be named

Please stop bringing up Pinol ukes here.
We are not allowed to talk about them openly.
The owner threatened to sue the UU forum when some members spoke negatively about them.
Really stupid, right?

You are not doing anything positive by bring up that company's name."

Last edited:
Perhaps you are unaware of the facts Nathan, so I will chime in.

My problem is that the owner of Pinol is exploiting the work of others and charging three times more money to put his little "Pinol' stamp on the front.

The Pinol owner lies on his website and makes it appear as though Pinol has been in business since 1934, what a joke. The luthier he buys his stuff from started in 1934 with the grandfather, the dad was a drunk and sold all the old man's tools and then died of alcoholism then the grandson (a well-known Central American musician) started making guitars from his grandfather's designs some years ago.
Here is where Pinol gets their goods. Check their price sheet, they are 1/3 or less the cost of a Pinol.
https://guitarraszepeda.com/
2016 price list:
https://guitarraszepedadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/guitarras-zepeda-price-list-20162.pdf

Pinol is nothing more than a marketing ploy to prey on innocent and ignorant consumers. The company is a joke regardless of how the instruments look or sound. Period.
The fact that he wouldn't respond to Rick's issues with his uke only strengthens this belief.

UU please do not delete my post. People need to know the truth about this and the UU is an open forum.

Hello johnson430...Why do you hate Pinol so much? last week I received an email from you telling me to stop posting anything about Pinol. I don't understand why you go out of your way to BASH them if you have never played one of their ukuleles. I just sold mine, but they are building me another one. I will make sure to post a review of my new Pinol...

This is what you wrote to me last week:

johnson430

The owner threatened to sue the UU forum when some members spoke negatively about them.
Really stupid, right?

You are not doing anything positive by bring up that company's name.

Thank you,
Johnson

There's a reason they get flak, they aren't very well built. I bought one when they first came out...the tuning machines were terrible with mismatched washers and one was completely missing a washer. I wrote and got no reply so I had a local luthier fix it and do a professional setup on it and it still sounded like what it was, an inferior built baritone Uke.

Ukulelerick9255 is this the same baritone ukulele you are talking about? Because on this thread you sound very happy with your Pinol. " Just Saying ".

Default Pinol baritone uke review
I won't be long winded some people had asked for a few words about it when I received it as they were looking at Pinol also. Making instruments since 1934 and all handmade by luthiers but new in the states so not much to read in the way of reviews. Cocobolo B&S with red cedar top. The uke is stunning with a a lot of sapwood on back and the sides. They recently raised prices from the 540 I paid to over 700 without electronics. Do I think its worth $700 plus....yes at 540 it's a steal. Wonderful tone, easy playability and great volume it stood up well playing with my brother on guitar.

Hello johnson430...Why do you hate Pinol so much? last week I received an email from you telling me to stop posting anything about Pinol. I don't understand why you go out of your way to BASH them if you have never played one of their ukuleles. I just sold mine, but they are building me another one. I will make sure to post a review of my new Pinol...

This is what you wrote to me last week:

johnson430

Really stupid, right?

Thank you,
Johnson

So you have two accounts? That is against the rules. I sent that message to another member: CiceroAnon
Now we can see the scam. You act like other members but you are only one.
BUSTED!
Here is the rest of the PM for those that are interested. See it was sent to another member: CiceroAnon
LIES from this guy people. Just another reason not to trust this company.
You are digging your own grave here.

In a previous PM he told me he was going to get 2200 credit for his Pinol. That is why I ask about the 2200. He never responded.

johnson430 said:
No, I am just disappointed in the behavior of the owner of the company and how he operates his business.
So if it is so good, why get credit it, even for 2200?
Who would give you such credit? Pinol maybe?

Read my bio: It tells you my profession, I am in education. The closest thing I have built to a uke is a wooden canoe. =)

CiceroAnon said:
johnson430 said:
Really stupid, right?

Thank you,
Johnson

ps: if I wanted a Pinol I would go directly to the manufacturer. https://guitarraszepeda.com/ukulele/
And pay a 1/3 the cost.

You almost sound like a competing ukulele maker, but I shouldn't jump to conclusions. I think we can speak freely and people can ignore any thread they don't care for.

BTW, I don't hate Pinol. I hate people that you exploit the work of others and are a liars. Call me old fashioned. =)

Last edited:
Closed for review.

Ok, I'm ruling ALL discussion of this company and its proprietor out of order until I've consulted Admin about this thread.

IMPORTANT:

Let's be clear, if your name appears on the list of members who have read this thread (mods can see such a list; I don't know if others can) and you post anything else on this subject in any thread before the out-of-order ruling is lifted, I will ban you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom