Short review of my Cocobolo concert uke

Nickie

Reaction score
This is my 1st attempt at reviewing an ukulele, so please bear with me.
Well, since I have been playing this uke since I got it in February, I feel qualified to review it for you.
It is a concert scale. It's an even better uke than the tenor I tried out last year, which I fell in love with, but couldn't reach all the chords on.
My favorite thing about the uke is that it is striking in appearance. The contrast of the heartwood and the sapwood is impossible not to notice.
My only gripe (not really a grip, but an observation) is that it is a bit on the heavy side.
However, this seems to help give it great sustain, which it has gobs of.
Of the 15 ukes I've owned, it blows away everything else.
The Grover planetary tuners are smooth as silk, and when I pick it up, I almost hope it's out of tune so I can play with them. They look like they belong on a violin, which isn't a bad thing, and they don't stick out of the sides of the headstock, which improves the appearance.
The fretboard is radiused, as are all other Cocobolo Ukuleles. This is standard on their ukes. The frets are nice and smooth on the ends, rough fret ends is no longer an issue with Cocobolo. There are 15 frets, 12 off the body. They look like brass, but I don't know what metal they are.
The saddle and nut are bone, that may give it more sustain, I'm not sure. The action seems perfect.
It came with side fret markers. Also a side port was put in, and I love how it throws music up in my face.
There's a K&K pickup inside, and I LOVE not having to deal with those !@*&^%#$@! batteries anymore! It has real WOW factor when plugged in.
The neck is mahogany, with a cocobolo "truss rod" through it.
The headstock is a pretty common shape, but looks good due to the cocobolo wood work done on it.
I can't find a single drop of over-glueing inside.
It came with Aquila strings, which I don't love but don't hate. The bridge is through the body stringing, which Cocobolo says also gives a boost to sustain. I'll restring it with something else when I wear these out.
The intonation is pretty darn near spot on all the way up the neck, which I think is very important.
I wasn't loud at all when I unboxed it. But the more I play it, the louder it seems to get.
What I find so amazing about this uke over anything else I've every played is, it seems to darn near play itself, I mean it's very easy to play, to me. Everyone else that tries it says that too.
One thing that makes it so comfortable to play, is Silvio rounded the left hand side of the lower bought of the top of the uke, so that my right arm doesn't get nearly as sore when I play a lot. It's barely noticeable looking at it, but it feels great.
All this for less than $650, delivered with a hard foam case.
My UAS is cured, for now.
If you are looking for something better-than-average, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Cocobolo.
Just sayin'....
Thanks for reading.

WOW Nickie!

That's a very detailed and comprehensive review. Good job and nothing to apologize for.

I will definitely be adding Cocobolo Ukes to my list.

Maybe later when you have time you can show off the look of the wood and the wonderful sound with some pics and video, even if you just use your phone (or iPad if you have one) to capture it all.

I surely hope that new baby brings you much continued joy in the future. I know how much the anticipation was killing you while you waited for it to be built and it is extremely gratifying to see that now you have played it for a while that it has met or exceeded all of your expectations.

LONG LIVE NICKIE! :music:

BTW - when you have your audition for the Suits at work - will you be playing this instrument? It might help to convince them, no?

Great review, but yeah, :pics:
:D

Really good review, I enjoyed your personal observations about weight and the frets, little things someone else may have glossed over.

But Nickie you have been here long enough to know the rules...........no pictures and it didn't happen :uhoh:

Great review. Pictures please.

Great review, a cool ukulele I can look forward to when I get back to the USA next year.

Booli, yes I will play that uke in the audition.
Dave, the pics were posted under Uke Talk in a NUD post right after I got it. My camera blew up so no more pics for a while, sorry. When we activate the new iPhones we just got and I learn how to use them, I'll try that way.
I have NO clue how to make a video.
Thanks for your compliments, everyone, on my 1st uke review.
(If I ever find out how to make videos, you people will get sick of 'em)

Thanks!
And thanks for the link, Dave.
Sometimes it takes a village.....

Great review, Nickie! Best I've read on Cocobolo Ukes so far.

Everyone that gets one of these seems to be very happy with them. I don't suppose we could get some video, or a sound sample from you...?

Scooter

Nice review Nickie - and agree - nice instruments!

I was lucky enough to pick up a Cocobolo tenor, (#40), and wow. Just wow. I took it to my local clubs strum, where there was a Martin, a MyaMo, 2 Kamakas, a Kanile'a, and a Ko'Aloha, as well as a bunch of the usual suspects. Everyone wanted to play my Cocobolo. Just sayin'! I think, (as did others), it was the best sounding uke there. I will be getting others!

Thanks everyone! As soon as I have the time to learn to make a video, I will be happy to show this uke off. I led a jam session last night, and there were so many compliments, and hands reaching for it! We have 7 ukes in the house, and this one is my "1st grabber". It's really beginning to take on some notable sound character, and mimics some tenor ukes.

It looks great (I saw the photos thread) and your review is really good. I would love to hear and see it in action, as well as you playing it!

Thanks Jenny. I'd love to figure this video thing out. I see there's a pretty good thread on it now.

#Nickie: After almost four years from this review, are you still as happy as then with this ukulele?
I was thinking of buying one ...

Very good review Nickie. Congrats. Thanks for posted link of pics Jim. Great looking ukulele. In review you say Grover Planetary Tuners. From pics they look like pegheds. Can you clarify? I also appreciate the user observations you add in about weight, sound from sound port and how easy it is to play.. I hope to touch and play one, ONE day, in the mean time I’m happy for you and hope you enjoys this ukulele to the max. Cheers

Hi!
They are Pegheads, my bad. Pegheads tuners are dodgy, they will be replaced with Gotoh planetary tuners someday. The bridge was mounted offset to one side, causing my fingers to slip off the fretboard when fretting the A string sometimes. The intonation is off upwards of the 7th fret. I couldn't figure out why, Donna Loprinzi measured and figured it out.
Donna Loprinzi put a different nut on to help compensate for the improper placing of the bridge. Now I hardly notice. Someday, I'd like her to build a new fretboard for it to correct the intonation issue, some of the frets were put in the wrong spots.
This uke has a chamfered armrest, which Kevin said they won't do anymore. I bet it was difficult.
All in all, this is my favorite uke, I'd do it all over again if I could. Two of my friends just 'won' Cocobolo lottery ukes, I haven't played either of them yet.
The only thing I've noted on other Cocobolos, that's not a problem on mine, is heavy headstocks. Go figure.
One of my friends bought a teak-wood uke made by cocobolo ukuleles that weighs a ton! But it sounds lovely.
There isn't anything else around here that sounds as good (to me) as a cocobolo ukulele.
I just love that sound.

Top Bottom