Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short review of my Cocobolo concert uke

Great review, Nickie! Best I've read on Cocobolo Ukes so far.

Everyone that gets one of these seems to be very happy with them. I don't suppose we could get some video, or a sound sample from you...?

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead
    Concert Eddy Finn Moon and Stars

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

Nice review! Congrats on a beautiful uke!

Nice review Nickie - and agree - nice instruments!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

I was lucky enough to pick up a Cocobolo tenor, (#40), and wow. Just wow. I took it to my local clubs strum, where there was a Martin, a MyaMo, 2 Kamakas, a Kanile'a, and a Ko'Aloha, as well as a bunch of the usual suspects. Everyone wanted to play my Cocobolo. Just sayin'! I think, (as did others), it was the best sounding uke there. I will be getting others!
    A POS 19$ wall hanger that is unplayable, but looks good.
    A Makala Shark in turquoise
    A navy glitter Malkla Dolphin
    A Makala pineapple, signed by Johnny Depp
    A Kala soprano in mahogany
    2 Bruce Wei soprano pineapples
    A Bruce Wei concert
    A Bruce Wei tenor, paddle shaped
    A Bruce Wei coconut shell sopranino
    An Eddy Finn concert in spalted maple
    A Riptide Concert in acacia
    A Riptide tenor in mahogany
    A Luna tenor tattoo
    A Luna tiki resonator
    3 transparent Makala Watermans
    An amazing Cocobolo soprano
    A beautiful Cocobolo concert
    An epic Cocobolo baritone
    And an equally spectacular Cocobolo tenor!

Thanks everyone! As soon as I have the time to learn to make a video, I will be happy to show this uke off. I led a jam session last night, and there were so many compliments, and hands reaching for it! We have 7 ukes in the house, and this one is my "1st grabber". It's really beginning to take on some notable sound character, and mimics some tenor ukes.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

It looks great (I saw the photos thread) and your review is really good. I would love to hear and see it in action, as well as you playing it!
    Click a photo for information!

Thanks Jenny. I'd love to figure this video thing out. I see there's a pretty good thread on it now.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

#Nickie: After almost four years from this review, are you still as happy as then with this ukulele?
    I was thinking of buying one ...

Very good review Nickie. Congrats. Thanks for posted link of pics Jim. Great looking ukulele. In review you say Grover Planetary Tuners. From pics they look like pegheds. Can you clarify? I also appreciate the user observations you add in about weight, sound from sound port and how easy it is to play.. I hope to touch and play one, ONE day, in the mean time I’m happy for you and hope you enjoys this ukulele to the max. Cheers

Hi!
    They are Pegheads, my bad. Pegheads tuners are dodgy, they will be replaced with Gotoh planetary tuners someday. The bridge was mounted offset to one side, causing my fingers to slip off the fretboard when fretting the A string sometimes. The intonation is off upwards of the 7th fret. I couldn't figure out why, Donna Loprinzi measured and figured it out.
    Donna Loprinzi put a different nut on to help compensate for the improper placing of the bridge. Now I hardly notice. Someday, I'd like her to build a new fretboard for it to correct the intonation issue, some of the frets were put in the wrong spots.
    This uke has a chamfered armrest, which Kevin said they won't do anymore. I bet it was difficult.
    All in all, this is my favorite uke, I'd do it all over again if I could. Two of my friends just 'won' Cocobolo lottery ukes, I haven't played either of them yet.
    The only thing I've noted on other Cocobolos, that's not a problem on mine, is heavy headstocks. Go figure.
    One of my friends bought a teak-wood uke made by cocobolo ukuleles that weighs a ton! But it sounds lovely.
    There isn't anything else around here that sounds as good (to me) as a cocobolo ukulele.
    I just love that sound.

Thread Information