Season 223 - Cowboys and Horses, Hobos and Trains + The Storyteller

I was going to wrack my brain to find something that is totally un-country that meets your theme, and then 2 great songs came to mind, and they are both sorta coutryish. Oh well... You win!

If I do a song about a dodgy builder would that count as a cowboy song? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So many possible songs, so little time.
Don't think I've posted this early in the week before

That's 5 Lyle Lovett songs in the last 5 weeks for me. I must broaden my search.

For Season 223, we're playing songs about cowboys, horses, hobos, or trains. I wrote this chord melody version of "The Streets of Laredo" for my phase 3 recordings in my first year of study at the James Hill Ukulele Institute. It's one of the first chord melody workups I ever did.
I added a second run through in a fingerpick style, whistling the melody.

Mildred and Dolly Good were the Girls of the Golden West. They were one of the most popular acts of the 1930s and 1940s, and were two of the few women then found performing country music (along with Patsy Montana with whom they were penpals). Farm girls from Illinois, they made up a story of being from Muleshoe Texas. They dressed in Western outfits and played on the WLS National Barn Dance radio show. The girls would inspire a whole new breed of country music singers such as Kitty Wells, Jean Shepard and Patsy Cline. They would also inspire a short-lived girl group, The Davis Sisters.

Yee Haw! Off we go! This should be a great one - especially for any Seasonistas that are attending UWC 8 and need to find something for the Rodeo Night Open Mic at the Port Hole! Good One Alan!

I discovered this one last week while looking for lullabies. This is supposed to be a lullaby that a cowboy is singing to a herd of cattle.

I thought I was going to write a Cowboy song, this is sort of one I guess ;-). This is an original called Did you see a Cow Boy.

Trying to beat the busy clock today. Learned and record in about a half hour so its a little rough but such a fun song.

I had this one on the back burner for a while thinking it might be shoehorned into the anticipation thread, but I think it fits here.

I LOOOOVE this theme. Johnny Cash wrote several songs about trains. This isn't the one you're thinking about. The best cover of it I've heard is from Hank Williams III. And then there's mine ...

223 entry 1:

Anyone wanna go for a ride? I grew up on horses. We kids would go out to the pasture and ride them with no reins or saddles most of the time. Our number one activity when I was young. I was four years old. I had a black fat Shetland pony. She'd get ornery and knock me off but then wait there so I could get back on. Later do it again. All she had to do was jump to the side a bit and I'd slide off. Once she stepped on my bear foot and wouldn't move. I'd push her and she'd just rock a little then rock back. Good thing the ground was soft. Childhood memories of being a hillbilly.

Top Bottom