New user from the Sillycon Valley

MincerRay

Reaction score
Hello UU'ers,

I recently joined this forum after lurking awhile. I'm Steve in N. CA. I work in the Sunnyvale, CA area, but live in the Sierra Foothills.

While on vacation in Maui in 2012, I took a free uke lesson from the hotel I was staying at. I thought it was fun, and bought a cheap Lanakai concert to bring home. I learned to play a few songs, then put the uke down or a couple of years. In 2014, while camping at a local resort I frequent, I heard a group playing ukulele nearby. I just happened to have my uke in my RV, so joined them. That was the spark that I needed to ignite my love of playing. I play with these folks often and greatly enjoy it! I've gotten quite good at strumming and singing. I like to play classic rock, and alternative rock - stuff that you wouldn't think of playing on a uke :) I'm always looking for others with a similar alternative/indie rock twist to play with. I need to learn to finger pick next.

Once I started to play more regularly, I wanted a better uke, so got a Kala walnut tenor. While I was camping in Monterey, I had forgotten my Kala and was jonesing to play around the campfire, so picked up a Kala long neck soprano. Now I'd like to get a much better, solid wood concert to replace the Lanakai, and am looking at the KoAloha Opio in acacia, or possibly a used KoAloha concert if I can find one.

I've been a member of many forums, and this one seems the most polite so far!

-steve

Welcome aboard-glad that you found us!

Welcome to UU!

Welcome again, Steve. Check the Marketplace. Lots of stuff there.

That is one hell of a commute!!!!!

I live in Downtown SJ and commute to Cupertino. Welcome to UU.

Like hawaii 50 suggested, you should stop in at Ukulele Source in Japantown, San Jose. They have what you're looking for as well as what you didn't know you wanted :)

Thanks for the welcomes! I have been to the ukulele source in Japantown. I was impressed by the LoPrinzini as that was a new one for me. I forgot about Gryphon. I also like the Strum Shop in Roseville. I don't drive between work and home every day! I stay in the Bay Area during the week.

Steve

Ummm...

That is one hell of a commute!!!!!

I live in Downtown SJ and commute to Cupertino. Welcome to UU.

Like hawaii 50 suggested, you should stop in at Ukulele Source in Japantown, San Jose. They have what you're looking for as well as what you didn't know you wanted :)

About the Ukulele Source... the owner really doesn't believe in setting up his instruments (though he does know how to) so go with the high end stuff there or find somebody else that can setup your ukelele for you. He also was grumpy when I asked him about getting one of his instruments with a setup. HMS does a really good job of setting up their instruments. I got a Cordoba 30 series from them. I can see how much of an adjustment they had to make to the nut. Well, Ukulele Source sells exactly ukulele but without any setup... :wallbash: I'd love to endorse a local store but I can't endorse them for anything but their most expensive instruments of which they do have some really good ones. :(

Top Bottom