Earthquake in Italy....

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I saw on the TV news the other night a report on the horrible earthquake in Italy. According to this report one of the worst-hit areas was a town called L'Aquila.

Could this be the town where our beloved Aquila ukulele strings are made?

Either way, my heart goes out to the earthquake victims....

thats terrible. man sometimes it just hits you about how unpredictable this earth is.

I saw on the TV news the other night a report on the horrible earthquake in Italy. According to this report one of the worst-hit areas was a town called L'Aquila.

Could this be the town where our beloved Aquila ukulele strings are made? .

I spoke with Daniela and Mimmo of Aquila String. A lot of musical string makers or their families came from that area and that is how Aquila got their name, but they are now located about 600 miles from the town and are OK.

Last edited:
There was a fairly active youtuber that tragically lost her life in the earthquake. Her name was alessandracora.

Heard another report on the news tonight....all but three or four homes in the town will have to be demolished. The town is essentially gone....

Very sad indeed...

thats terrible. man sometimes it just hits you about how unpredictable this earth is.

Unfortunately, I predict there will be many more earthquakes of that magnitude and even greater in the future, and not just in Italy, but all over the world.

Then he (Jesus) went on to say to them: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; and there will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another pestilences and food shortages; and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs".
Luke 20:10,11

“For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, there will be earthquakes in one place after another, there will be food shortages. These are a beginning of pangs of distress".
Matthew 24:7, Mark 13:8

According to the National Geophysical Data Center in Colorado
over the past 100 years large (7.5 or greater) earthquakes have been on the increase.
Something is going on.

100 years is a mere eyeblink in geophysical terms.

Earthquakes are caused (more or less) by movement of the tectonic plates that make up the surface of this planet. They're basically all floating on a soup of slightly vicous rock. They shift. They rub against each other. Sometimes they smash and crunch into each other. Faults occur between and within them.

None of this happens very quickly. We're talking plate movements of five to ten meters during those 100 years. Barely enough to make a first down in American football. :D

But add it up over tens of millions of years, and you start to really make progress. It's theorized that the continents once looked like this. And, in a few dozen more million years, it might look like this. Imagine being able to hike in the mountains where the Mediterranean sea used to be!

Along the way, there will be earthquakes. Sometimes there'll be more during a particular small, arbitrary timeframe, and sometimes there'll be fewer. Personally, I don't read too much into it.

JJ

True, there have always been earthquakes. It just seems interesting what the study concluded. The study was done in 1984( I miss the 80s) and said that about 2000 years prior to the 20th century there were about 856 earthquakes at 7.5 or greater compared to 605 7.5 or greater earthquakes from the 20th century. That seems like a high concentration for such a small amount of time.
A whole lot of shaken going on should be the next uke song I learn. Speaking of plate movements, I'm hungry.

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes,
an aeroplane...
...yada yada...
It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine

Top Bottom