License Plate

Phuufme

Reaction score
So... my wife and I were driving to a gig and on the way we see a Jeep Liberty with the license plate "KAMAKA". I say to my wife, "must be a uke player", and she says, "why". (Hmmmm).

Anyway, I wonder who that is and if they are a member here. And I'd love to see that Kamaka. FYI we are in San Antonio, TX.

So... my wife and I were driving to a gig and on the way we see a Jeep Liberty with the license plate "KAMAKA". I say to my wife, "must be a uke player", and she says, "why". (Hmmmm).

Anyway, I wonder who that is and if they are a member here. And I'd love to see that Kamaka. FYI we are in San Antonio, TX.

Hopefully your wife was pulling your leg - I mean if it were my wife and she did not know what Kamaka was, I would be VERY disappointed (unless she was just joking...which would NOT be funny to me)

On a side note - so how far did you follow the Jeep to see who the driver was? LOL...:)

Last edited:
Hopefully your wife was pulling your leg - I mean if it were my wife and she did not know what Kamaka was, I would be VERY disappointed (unless she was just joking...which would NOT be funny to me)

I mean us guys are forced to know who Donna Karan, Jones NY, F3NDI and Dolce & Gabana are and what products they have since in my neighborhood everyone is ga-ga for Macys and Nordstrom...just sayin... thankfully there is a Sears store in the mall, so when I am forced to chaperone, I can distract myself from the insanity by going there, and do not have to witness the 100 pairs of shoes being tried on nor answer questions like 'Does this make me look fat?' (which is ALWAYS a trap)...

On a side note - so how far did you follow the Jeep to see who the driver was? LOL...:)
F3NDI????? Must be good Mall talk!!
Sorry, I'm mall ignorant :)

I think Booli meant FENDI, OK I admit it I'm whipped!

I mean us guys are forced to know who Donna Karan, Jones NY, F3NDI and Dolce & Gabana are and what products they have since in my neighborhood everyone is ga-ga for Macys and Nordstrom...just sayin... thankfully there is a Sears store in the mall, so when I am forced to chaperone, I can distract myself from the insanity by going there, and do not have to witness the 100 pairs of shoes being tried on nor answer questions like 'Does this make me look fat?' (which is ALWAYS a trap)...

I'm not even a guy, and the idea of having to waste brain cells on this nonsense makes me run screaming in the other direction. Can we talk about Kamakas instead?! :)

Last edited:
previous post, possibly in poor taste, text removed voluntarily by me

please carry on...sorry for the distraction.

Last edited:
I inquired at the tax collectors office about having a custom license plate made with an ukulele theme, and they asked me for another $100. I told the clerk to forget it. I decided it would look really stupid on a $500 car.

"Yes, FENDI

One of these high-fashion Italian designers and brands that sells a SINGLE pair of socks for $140, a small ladies purse for $900, and a whole 5-piece soft kid-leather luggage set for $5,500 (which will only get destroyed by the airline baggage handlers).

I hate myself for knowing these things even exist, and unless the silkworms that spawned the threads for those socks can speak in 42 languages and tell me my future - I think it's all a scam game.

The same 8 yr old girls chained to the table in the Cambodian sweatshop are ALSO making the same items that will be sold at other stores beside Macys and Norstrom, such as Marshalls and TJ Maxx, under brands that are VERY popular at Walmart, for one-tenth the price or less...."

Hey, F3NDI/FENDI, either/or is news to me. I've got to get out more..........or at least try to keep up with popular culture.

Anyway, Booli is right about the sweatshops.....and the 8 year old Cambodians get the same .25 cents an hour whether the suit they are making is for Brooks Brothers or a garment district knock-off you can buy off the back of a truck for $50. bucks. Unfortuately they would probably make the Kamaka label for the inside suitcoat pocket too.

So, I hesitate to get back on Kamaka license plate topic by pointing out that said plate was most likely a .25 cent per hour product of the Texas Penal system .........................sorry, UGH!

I'm not even a guy, and the idea of having to waste brain cells on this nonsense makes me run screaming in the other direction. Can we talk about Kamakas instead?! :)

Whew, I'm not the only one thinking that.

Custom/personalized license plates are wildly popular here in Arizona (I suspect because they don't cost too much more, which is smart from the DMV revenue perspective), and I'm always on the look for them, but I've yet to see a ukulele-specific one

Whew, I'm not the only one thinking that.

Whenever talk turns to stereotypes of women on the subject or designers, or malls, or shopping, I always have to speak up for the handful of those of us with XX chromosomes who would rather be doing... just about anything else, really :)

There is a kamaka rainbow fish, maybe the person with the number plates is an aquarium enthusiast?

Also, Kamaka means "eye" in Hawaiian. Maybe they're an optometrist... or ophthalomologist... or all-seeing psychic...

A friend of mine had G C E A California plates. He sold the car and I don't know who has it now.

In California, I have this one on my little '95 merlot Miata.
My license plate.jpg

A nice older gentleman (originally from Hawaii) in our little rural mountain community had the plates, UKULELE. Every time I'd see that car parked, I'd wait and wait to see who was driving it--this was back more than 10 years ago and there simply weren't a lot of people announcing their ukulele love publicly in those days. Ken moved to Placerville about eight years ago and the car and plates went with him; he *was* older, though, so perhaps he's stopped driving and the plates were relinquished...

Last night I saw a Toyota Prius with a "UKE GUY" license plate. I was at a kanikapila, so I wasn't surprised. But I wish I had taken a photo. Not to hijack this thread, but it would be fun to have another thread in which people could post photos of ukulele-themed license plates.

Last night I saw a Toyota Prius with a "UKE GUY" license plate. I was at a kanikapila, so I wasn't surprised. But I wish I had taken a photo. Not to hijack this thread, but it would be fun to have another thread in which people could post photos of ukulele-themed license plates.

Ugh.. a Prius though..

Personal license plates are really popular in California too. The Dept of Motor Vehicles offers a lot of different plates styles along with the ability to chose your text.

The newest one that I've seen is a reissue of the old 1950's black plate with raised letters painted in yellow. Pretty cool on vintage or black cars.

I think the DMV charges a $50 one time fee and an additional $40 reg fee per year for personalized plates.

I bet you might be able to get "ukELele" or "3L3LUKU" (Ukulele backwards, for rear-view mirrors, like on the front of an Ambulance).

But as a Scotsman, I'm more interested in discounted registration.

Oh, and rant on Booli. Yer helping to keep things interesting! We all know where you're coming from. :)

2nd'ed! I'd like to see that one too. I'll be on the lookout myself.

Top Bottom