It's not the first time I did the happy dance for a g-string . . .

NotoriousMOK

Reaction score
But this time its a new uke! I proud to say that my UAS is satisfied for the moment, as my new GString Tenor arrived today from MGM/MusicGuyMichael. This guy really is the bomb dealer for taking care of your UAS fix! I only ordered this late Thurs. and it shows up today in SoCal a full two days earlier than even UPS claimed I would see it. The price was more than fair, and Michael is just a peach to work with -- eager to help, and happy to educate and help you with even the smallest of newguy questions. I can't say enough about it -- hands down the best sight-unseen buy I've ever made, period.

Anyways, until now I had the flea/fluke thing going (tons of fun, but sooner or later, you have to leave the nest), but this is a whole new animal and I'm really jazzed about it. I had intended to receive it at work, but as it turns out I had mistakenly had MGM ship it to my home. When I learned of this (at the office) I also learned that it was 'out for delivery'. So, not wanting my new uke dropped on the lawn like a dirty diaper, I did a MadMax back to my house to stalk the UPS guy.

the . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . clock . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ticked . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . like . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .this . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . until . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . the . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . brown . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .truck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . arrived . . .

Anyways, my cell phone is going bonkers 'coz I've got some heavy good news happening in my line of work (great news in home lending) so I gotta beat feet back to the office with my new toy (sight unseen as of yet) in tow. So back to my desk and back on the phone I go and I've got to stash the box until I have a little free time.

So just shy of 9:00PM and I get off my last call and I tear into the box like a starving racoon after the first nut of the season. I found a dark hardshell case amidst an ocean of protective packaging. After a brief but respectful nod to my Jake Shimabukuro, James Hill and Aldrine Guererro action figures (okay, stretching just a little here) I slowly opened the dark case. For the first few moments an eerie mist oozed out of the case, and just as the mist cleared . . . . I was just able make out the unmistakable GString headstock logo . . . . and just then, one angel lost its virginity and the rest of them sang 'it is done!'.

I gently cradled what could not be called anything less than a work of art in my arms, and I gently strummed a D7 chord . . . and just then . . . . I nearly threw up in my mouth.

Okay here's the thing, they ship these with Hilo strings, which include a wound C, and I guess I'm just NOT A FAN of those wound strings. Yech! Fortunately I had also ordered a stack of strings including a set of clear Worths, which I installed immediately and THEN the angels came back :)

Anyways, its too late to make a long story short, but I was just so excited that I had to share -- I'll post some sound and maybe an uneducated review in a few days when I've had a chance to adapt to thing, but it sure seems like it will be a fun road . . . . more to come.

Have fun!

hehehe go party with your uke, i wanna hear the sound though

Congratulations NotoriousMOK! Sounds like you've got a great new ukulele. Your story of its arival was wonderfully written and laugh out loud funny. Mist, angels, puke, and a g-string! What more is there to say, really!

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts after you've had a chance to play it a bit. :D

Nororious, congrats dude. But heads up!....not to step on your buzz or anything, but my new Gstring Tenor showed up with the bridge off by about an 1/8" causing my ears severe stress when playing in the upper registers. I live and breathe uke pass the 10th fret so I don't want to hear any flat notes while playing. Therefore, this was an unacceptable intonation problem in my case. Unfortunately it was a birthday present from my wife and best friend. They would have been very disappointed if I would have sent it back to the factory for a replacement uke or possible repairs. Being an upstart luthier of sorts, I corrected the offending bridge placement myself, with my wife and best friend none the wiser.

Bottom line is, Gstring makes a fine product and the overall craftmanship of the uke is excellent. If your intonation is dead on in the upper register then rest easy and you're good to go. In my case, I just think a worker bee had one too many Primo beers the night before and misjudged the bridge placement that day. It happens. However, I do love the sound of mine.....thanks, e.lo......

Last edited:
nice man.

have fun with it!

make some vids and post on teh youtube.

im hopefully getting a new uke myself, and i know exactly how you feel about the waiting.

and of course the first opening of the uke itself.

ORGASMIC!

Thanks for the heads-up there e-lo ! Your 'night-before' theory might be on the money. Intonation on this guy looks great so far, but still new strings (dunno if that matters) and looks/sounds spot on all the way up. Perhaps we have a keeper here!

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads-up there e-lo ! Your 'night-before' theory might be on the money. Intonation on this guy looks great so far, but still new strings (dunno if that matters) and looks/sounds spot on all the way up. Perhaps we have a keeper here!

Thanks!
No problem bro...PS Mine sounds very nice with the D'Addario J71 Pro Arté Tenor Ukulele Strings...e.lo......

Wow! I've never owned a G-String ukulele but I've kind of always wanted one. Is it bright? Cause I don't think I played one with a different set of strings other than the stock ones that comes with the ukulele.

Pictures bro! Let's see this beauty :3

Bright? Yeah I'll say, it plays beautifully -- I have not been able to spend too much time with it (strings are just settling in) but it's certainly well beyond my current abilities. This is a pretty drastic change-up for me as until now I've had a flea and a fluke (not that they sound bad or anything, but this is a whole different deal of course). Funny little thing -- I can feel the body vibrate/resonate as I play, something that was not noticeable before with the plastic body ukes. That said, I may be a little easier to impress than the next guy.

My pickup arrives tomorrow (FishmanAG) so I'll take a sample with that and my little studio mic and post them both (listen to the uke, not the skills :eek:).

Oh, and I'll put up some pictures tonight.

Have fun!

Congrats on the new acquisition! Can't wait to see some pics!

Top Bottom