ocarinas?

I'm waiting on my first one so I don't know, but I would think only if you smoked or ate raw garlic before playing? :confused::rolleyes:
What on earth prompted the question?

Last edited:
Maybe just a little too late for some on this thread, but Mountain Ocarinas have just "pre-announced" the impending release of their new "two chromatic octave" ocarina, see http://www.ocarinaboard.com/bb/index.php?topic=2512.msg18973#msg18973 . It's been over 10 years in the design and making and it's anticipated will cost below $100, which is significantly lower than previously anticipated ... watch that space, as they say !!

I've got their polycarbonate C and G instruments and can attest to their quality :)

If injection-moulded plastic isn't to your taste, check out Charlie Hind's range of wooden instruments http://hindocarina.com/ . I've got two of his ocarinas and they really are very nice. Not as loud as a Mountain Ocarina, but that can be an advantage ;)

I'm waiting on my first one so I don't know, but I would think only if you smoked or ate raw garlic before playing? :confused::rolleyes:
What on earth prompted the question?

Hi, Jim. Thanks for your reply. It's a legit question for anyone that's shaken hands with a harmonica player after they've just played a mean blues set. :-( Yuck@! I would think it's a factor in every instrument that involves plenty of spittle and bare skin.

Thanks for the info on the lip irritation, bnolson. I would have never known that as something to watch for. Thank you.

I played a trombone for a very short while in grade school. Brass and saliva had a very distinctive smell and reading this brought the smell back to memory.

yeesh

kypfer- my Poly C came in. I've had only 5 minutes on it though. Played Summertime after the first minute. :cool: It has potential but obviously will take some work to make sound good even with other wind instrument experience. A two octave version is definitely intriguing. Honestly I have to ask what the advantage is over a decent plastic recorder other than compactness. But I'll give it a fair shake.

I did email Mr. Hind about the possibility of other keys like Bb and Eb. At one point he made Bb but hasn't recently. That would be a nice option as recorders in those keys are practically nonexistent.

coolkayaker - brush your teeth first, man. :cool: :p

Honestly I have to ask what the advantage is over a decent plastic recorder other than compactness. But I'll give it a fair shake.

Advantages over recorder:

much bigger volume: the MO can be used on stage with no problem.
much faster chromatics: even though different key signatures are a pain, accidentals are still fairly straightforward on an ocarina and shouldn't affect speed too much. A transverse is even easier than the MO for accidentals.
subholes: get you notes below the scale. extremely useful for a LOT of songs.

... A two octave version is definitely intriguing. Honestly I have to ask what the advantage is over a decent plastic recorder other than compactness. But I'll give it a fair shake.

In my (limited self-taught) experience, getting an average plastic recorder to respond easily and reliably over two full octaves is a little optimistic ;)

Nevertheless, the compact size will be a significant attraction (for the range) and of course there's the "coolness" factor ... though that may depend on your circle of acquaintances ;)

If injection-moulded plastic isn't to your taste, check out Charlie Hind's range of wooden instruments http://hindocarina.com/ . I've got two of his ocarinas and they really are very nice. Not as loud as a Mountain Ocarina, but that can be an advantage ;)
Aargh!! I'm having an Ocarina Acquisition Syndrome attack!! Call my banker... quick... :love:

I'll toss more on the fire. The Mountain Myst CD is an example of what can be done with a MO-G. A shame these songs have heavy reverb. But ornamentation isn't difficult on these instruments.

Top Bottom