Uke Syllabus for Beginners by a Beginner

Thanks for this! You clearly put a great deal of effort into it! Thanks also to whoever pinned the thread. What a great source to find just as soon as I joined the community here!

Interesting quiz.

I believe for question #8, the following picture should be used:Capture.jpg

(corrections in blue)

So, I got 19 right; the 1 T/F question where I didn't know, I counted as a wrong. Does that mean I can imagine how to play the ukulele pretty well?

Yes, this is really a very nice piece of work and quite educational.

wow, incredible resource!! thank you so much for creating and sharing this for the love of music!

Great stuff! Thank you so much for compiling and for sharing! It's already answered a bunch of questions I'd had about some of the music theory behind chords!

Can a beginner write a Uke Syllabus for beginners?

Yes! Here it is:

http://www.lakesidepress.com/UkeSyllabus.pdf

Writing it has helped me learn about the instrument. I hope it helps others as well.

Can a beginner write a Uke Syllabus for beginners?

Yes! Here it is:

http://www.lakesidepress.com/UkeSyllabus.pdf

Writing it has helped me learn about the instrument. I hope it helps others as well.
Joramy- I've read your entire syllabus and will now go back to soak in the knowledge. Bravo, sir! I learned banjo 40 years ago in what I'm able to view in hindsight as an odd, backwoods, "real musicians should only play by ear" culture. You already know the inherent problem with that, which is that what I thought of as "by ear" was just 100% trial and error, never really knowing or caring why this song had been written with a C7 instead of a C major, etc. It was much the same as "hunting and pecking" on a typewriter keyboard with no real grasp of the home keys. I learned how to read fingerpicking tab but never sought out the reasoning (theory) behind what I was picking, which of course barely scratches the surface of truly understanding the actual music. Thank you for presenting music theory for the uke in such a usable, understandable fashion.

Nice intro document. Well done!

For those using it, page 19 has an error. The IV chord of the three different keys are incorrect. E.g., the IV of C is F, not E. I was just glancing around and noticed it, not really reading it word-for-word.

Top Bottom