Help forearm and ulnar nerve pain

mountainjo

Reaction score
Have been practising hard on uke trying to catch up with rest of group but have suddenly developed forearm pain and numbness in my little and ring fingers. I am skinny and find that I get a deep groove in forearm after I have been playing. Am I holding it wrong or is there anything I could use to protect my arm. I will try anything that will help me continue to play. I would welcome some advice. Many thanks.

Sounds like you are gripping the uke too hard, maybe try a strap. :)

You can test by just tying a chord around the middle of the body (the waist), & tie the other end around the headstock (where the tuners are).

You sound like a perfect candidate for a strap. A properly used strap will remove need to squeeze the uke with your arm to hold it in place.

Have been practising hard on uke trying to catch up with rest of group but have suddenly developed forearm pain and numbness in my little and ring fingers. I am skinny and find that I get a deep groove in forearm after I have been playing. Am I holding it wrong or is there anything I could use to protect my arm. I will try anything that will help me continue to play. I would welcome some advice. Many thanks.

Sounds to me like you have Tennis Elbow. I have it and get the same pains and numbness. You can buy a special brace that wraps around your arm just below your elbow. Usually the pain and numbness goes right away. You can buy the cloth brace (Ace) at the drug store. One doesn't hafta be a tennis player to get it.
:eek:ld:

Get a strap.

I agree with DUD as I had numbness of my two little fingers before and it comes from the outer elbow. I was told to stop resting my elbows on my desk. Worked for me. Are you sitting and somehow resting your elbow on the arm of a chair or propping your head up with your elbow during the day?

This is from my own experience.

~AL~

Whatever it is, better find out exactly what is causing it to avoid the risk of more damage.

I Agree with Phil,

Doctors are actually better at diagnosing medical problems than ukulele players, although musicians can be a lot cheaper than MDs.

Good idea. Numbness in the fingers on that side of the hand and forearm pain could just as easily be signs of carpal tunnel syndrome. Best find out exactly what the problem is and get medical advice about what to do about it.

I had my luthier make me an armrest for the sharp edge on my Kala. It worked wonders. My Cocobolo uke has a smoother edge where my forearm rests, I love it, no more skin grooves or sore arm, even after 2 or 3 hours of jamming.

Carpal tunnel involves the median nerve just above the wrist - not forearm and causes numbness and discomfort on the palm on the thumb and index finger.
Lateral epicondylitis=tennis elbow is inflammation at the outside(lateral) elbow knob. It's caused by repetitive lower arm forces usually rotation like strumming hard or hitting a lot of tennis balls usually with a wrong grip.
The splint does help, as does avoiding overuse - do more picking or chord melody playing.
I do have a tee shirt that says trust me I'm a doctor. I also have right arm lateral epicondylitis from too much ukulele practice.
Doc/Bob

Top Bottom