source for koa

little timber

Reaction score
I searched and found nothing, I'm sure a thread already exists so sorry for asking this again, but would anyone care to share their source for koa? my preference is in billet form as opposed to sets. This is more a general knowledge thing for me as I am not looking to buy any right now, but would like to know where to go when I need some.
Thanks much!

I'm pretty sure Little Timber that if anyone on the forum who has access to billets of koa, they are not going to advertise here in the Lounge. Maybe they will contact you privately. Good luck!

I have built exactly one (1) uke out of koa. There are two reasons I never built with it: 1) I couldn't afford any of the nice wood I found and the other affordable stuff was inferior and badly flawed. And 2; I used to think that koa was used as an ukulele wood mostly because it was "traditional" and it looked cool, but had no special acoustic properties. Well was wrong I on the second count, this stuff made a phenomenal sounding ukulele. I have a ton of ukes sitting around and the best tend to rise to the top as players like cream rises to the top of milk. Darwinian selection where only the fittest survive and the weak end up gathering dust. The koa top uke is now top dog and sounds best (to my ear) of all my ukes. I'm playing in a concert on Saturday and the koa uke gets the nod. Lovely stuff. Too bad so much of it got wasted on crappy, cheap built ukuleles.

DSCN6685.jpg

Did you try a Google search? Koa wood for sale may be a good place to start ... just sayin'!

Thanks for the links. I did do a google search but all I turned up was sites with no stock for sale, boring pieces at ridiculous prices, boards too narrow to make anything but pens and pool ques out of, and ebay... and I hate bidding and watching an auction.

Are you doing your own re sawing? If so are you thinking this is going to save you money? Typically the good billets get either stashed or get cut up into guitar/ukulele sets. Usually if you have to ask where to buy it aint going to happen. Its kind of like asking surfers where the best secret breaks are. Oh ya up and move the hill and around the corner then drive 38.5 miles and take a right lol

Thanks for the links. I did do a google search but all I turned up was sites with no stock for sale, boring pieces at ridiculous prices, boards too narrow to make anything but pens and pool ques out of, and ebay... and I hate bidding and watching an auction.

As a builder on the Big Island of Hawaii, where 99% of the world's koa comes from, I'm interested in this question as well. The fact of the matter is, the days of finding great koa at affordable prices is long gone. I've stopped buying logs, cants or boards and stick to precut sets because it's cheaper in the long run when you consider the waste and the hidden heartaches (rot, bugs and flaws) found in larger pieces. But you'll be paying dearly for it. It's time for us all to lower our expectations when sourcing koa. The good old days are over. And I'll also throw my vote toward Bob Gleason as being a good source when he has it.

Last edited:
I have bought wood (but not Koa) from these folks before:
http://ukuleletonewood.com/ukulele-sets/ukulele-back-side-sets/koa-back-side-sets.html

The cedar, redwood and walnut I received were all very nice. They have nice looking butternut, but I have no idea what that sounds/works like.

I would like to try building with Koa one day, but my poor building skills make it hard to justify such a high price for just 1 set.

Good luck with your search!

As a build on the Big Island of Hawaii, where 99% of the world's koa comes from, I'm interested in this question as well. The fact of the matter is, the days of finding great koa at affordable prices is long gone. I've stopped buying logs, cants or boards and stick to precut sets because it's cheaper in the long run when you consider the waste and the hidden heartaches (rot, bugs and flaws) found in larger pieces. But you'll be paying dearly for it. It's time for us all to lower our expectations when sourcing koa. The good old days are over.

Chuck don't give in Have faith;) there is one place that has plenty of the old stuff not far from your house...on Waimea ...for those who are confused ...this Church is built from Koa timber inside and out.

Last edited:
Yes, we only buy pre- sliced sets nowadays. It seems expensive, but saves quite a bit of money in the long run. We have many woods that sound and look as good or better than Koa, but customers still want it. It's so expensive for us that we upcharge for it and customers still want it. We super upcharge for mastergrade and customers still want it. I guess everyones trying to get it while they still can, but I am working hard to source woods that are local to where I live and a little more sustainable that can compete with the best looking Koa.
A

It's not a healthy situation that everyone wants it despite the price. If the price gets too hight poaching will be the next step. A ban can't be too far away. I would like to see Koa planted in other parts of the world. If I could find some seeds I would start planting it here in CA. Maybe I will take a trip to The Islands and collect some seeds and try to take it off my taxes.

May be it's getting hard to obtain, but! there are loads of new solid Koa ukuleles for sale on Ebay, most at very modest prices..Tho' some are described as Acacia Koa, what ever that is.

Top Bottom