NHL Playoffs!

BrianB

Reaction score
Who are your picks?

Mine is Detroit vs. Boston. Boston wins.

Really sucks for Florida,

Didn't move Bouwmeester and now they're sitting in the 9th spot heading for the golf course knowing that they'll lose him in the off season.

The west 1st round matchups are very interesting to me.

The Sharks finish 1st and what do they get in return? The Ducks, probably the most physical team in the league with 2 of the best defensemen and a crop of young guys who know what it takes to win the cup. Detroit gets to play Columbus who has one of the hottest goalie prospects in a while though we'll see how he handles the big show.

1st round winner predictions:
East:
Boston
Washington
Carolina
Pittsburgh

West (much harder to pick):
Anaheim (picking a 8th seed upset)
Detroit
Vancouver
Chicago

Last edited:
Wow... Ducks over the Sharks???

I'm going with Caps and Sharks, with Sharks winning the whole thing :)

Wow... Ducks over the Sharks???

I'm going with Caps and Sharks, with Sharks winning the whole thing :)

I think this series is going to be a lot close than a lot of people think. the Sharks were really good this year but the Ducks have always given them problems with their physical style of play. I think if they beat the Ducks in the first round they're going to be pretty banged up going into the 2nd.

Two surprises are going to be St. Louis and Carolina. Both ended the season hot. I am a die hard Hawks fan so I have to go with Hawks vs Pitt. with the Hawks winning. Realistically, I am guessing Det. vs Wash.

Well for all of the years ive watched the Sharks in the playoffs, I know whats probably coming, but nevertheless im going to go ahead and say they take that series. they've got a very different roster this year than most, Clowe has been awesome all year, Thornton is always the best Center, and Marleau is a beast. not to mention Setoguchi. And we cant forget Nabokov who as Ive argued before, is a brick wall. oh hey I forgot to mention Dan Boyle, whos one of the most impressive Dmen ive seen in a while. Thier record against the Ducks this season: 4-2-0

in the East, people give Washington too much credit. Sure they have AO but the Rangers have proved that Mark Staal can take him out any day of the week. What people also dont seem to see is Washington's inconsistent goal tending. I really dont see how Theodore can be amazing for this series, especially with his shakey play all season.
The Rangers while still adjusting to the new coach, has one of, if not THE best goaltender in the current NHL, and 4 extremely overpaid veterans that CAN put the puck in the net. The Rangers will be going into this season with a good win streak having beaten arguably the best team in the east this season (twice in a row). I have no doubt that the Rangers will take this series.

on NJD VS CAR
all Ive got to say is this;
Kevin Weekes has just gotten (magically) injured and theyve recalled Scott Clemmenson from Lowell. We know what hes done during the season, and we know what hes capable of doing in the case Marty sucks it up again.
Carolinas hot right now, and is scoring a crapload, so I think this series will go the length, but if theres one thing Ive learned from my decades of hockey watching, its to never count the Devils out.

BOS vs MON

I hate them both, as far as im concered I could care less who wins.

it all starts tommorow.
Lets go Rangers.

Not following hockey for most of the reqular season, what I have to say has little to no hockey knowledge to back it up. That said:

I live around DC and the caps are the only DC team I like, so GO CAPS! (Hopefully they win a couple of series so I will be around to go to a game, out of town for like the next 3 weeks.)

Growing up in Ohio, no team for most of my life, I rooted for the Red Wings since I often visited family up in Michigan, so Go Wings!

Thats my picks for the Finals.

on NJD VS CAR
all Ive got to say is this;
Kevin Weekes has just gotten (magically) injured and theyve recalled Scott Clemmenson from Lowell. We know what hes done during the season, and we know what hes capable of doing in the case Marty sucks it up again.
Carolinas hot right now, and is scoring a crapload, so I think this series will go the length, but if theres one thing Ive learned from my decades of hockey watching, its to never count the Devils out.

Marty has been horrible since he broke Roy's wins record. Clemmenson was solid in the regular season but no history in the playoffs. Also every time the Hurricanes have made it into the playoffs they got to the cup finals. And they've been red hot going into the playoffs. It will be an interesting series to say the least.

Marty has been horrible since he broke Roy's wins record. Clemmenson was solid in the regular season but no history in the playoffs. Also every time the Hurricanes have made it into the playoffs they got to the cup finals. And they've been red hot going into the playoffs. It will be an interesting series to say the least.

Im not arguing that the Devs will win, im just saying dont count the Devs out.

Canucks vs Boston in the Final!

Canucks take it in 7.
Go 'Nucks!

BOS is gonna lose plain and simple. They're a hotshot young team with players that haven't made the playoffs before. Tim Thomas while amazing, chokes in the playoffs. I dont see them exiting the second round.

Surprised the Canes got handled so badly today. Caps / Rangers series is going to be a barn burner.

Ducks all the way.

They have been on fire the last month or so... im pickin Ducks vs. Devils...a little rematch of the 03 finals, this time with the Ducks taking it all!!!

Who to cheer for?

I'm from Alberta, and I'm definately on the Edmonton side of the BoA (battle of Alberta). But with no Oil blue in the post season, who to cheer for? Unlike most Oiler fans, I hate on the canucks much more than the Flames, so my first instinct is anyone but the Canucks. I guess I like the Flames in the west and the Habs in the East, but the Habs just lost, so it's not looking good there.

I'll take Boston in the East, and if the Flames can manage the OT win tonight in Chi-town, I'll take the Flames. How's that for silly patriotism.

Man am I a curse!

Not 1 minute after I call the Flames do they lose. Blurg Havlat!

As a Ranger fan, I couldnt be more pleased.

As a Sharks fan, I knew it was coming :p

The Rangers series is going to be a barn burner, Theodore is a sieve so the only way the Caps can win is to score a buttload of goals. I would say the Rangers victory in game one was more due to Theodore's play than the Rangers play.

Told you guys the Sharks were going to have problems with Anaheim too!

Rayan,
Did you watch the Ranger game? The Rangers looked AWESOME from the second period on. We shut them down in pretty much every aspect of their game, not to mention put AO on his ass more times then not. Our chief agitator was doing his job, and out goalie, while injured, STILL said no. Heres the thing about this series, The key to the Rangers success was to win one of them on the road, when we play at the garden its a HUGE advantage, you really gotta see it to understand what im talking about. WSH does not stand a chance in the big apple, no friggen way.

On the Sharks:
Did you watch the Sharks game? The sharks hit 4 posts the whole game, lets say half of them went in, now its a tied game. The Shaks outplayed them, outhit them, and made them look stupid most of the night. What happened, and why did they loose? Simple really, its playoff hockey, the Sharks are damned to lose anyway. Go figure they've never been shutout in almost a season and a half until the playoffs.

edit: Ive been saying Theodore sucks since I drafted him on my fantasy team. hes inconsistent and cant stop anything that isnt straight-on. and if nobody believes me that hes a terrible goalie this year, Scott Gomez scored on him. Gomez had the worst shot in the NHL, no joke, Ron Duguay has a better shot after being retired since '89. Hell id go out on a limb and say Theodore has a better shot than him.

Last edited:
Yeah... that Duck - Sharks game was great. Actually gave me hope that Ducks can pull it off. It's a long series though...

Top Bottom