i want to learn guitar

panda

Reaction score
hi,
I'm thinking of taking guitar lesson. but I'm not sure which guitar to choose to learn. I know nothing about guitar. I want to learn a classical guitar, but my friend told me that it's better to learn acoustic guitar.
What is the difference between acoustic and classical guitar? My purpose of learning guitar is to play songs like pop songs and carry it around whenever i travel. which guiar suits me more? can both be used to play any type of songs?

hi,
I'm thinking of taking guitar lesson. but I'm not sure which guitar to choose to learn. I know nothing about guitar. I want to learn a classical guitar, but my friend told me that it's better to learn acoustic guitar.
What is the difference between acoustic and classical guitar? My purpose of learning guitar is to play songs like pop songs and carry it around whenever i travel. which guiar suits me more? can both be used to play any type of songs?

Both can be used to play any song but they will sound and feel different. Go to a music store and spend an hour or two messing around with them.

Both can be used to play any song but they will sound and feel different. Go to a music store and spend an hour or two messing around with them.

Follow deach's advice.

Some differences right off the bat are the strings used on each. Classical guitars use nylon strings where as acoustic guitars use steel. From the classical guitars I've played, I also noticed that the width of the neck is a lot larger on a classical guitar (consequently, the space between strings are also wider on classical guitars). The opposite would be of acoustic guitars (more narrow neck and smaller space between strings).

Get what you feel comfortable using.

I have a classical guitar, I wish I would have purchased a normal acoustic maybe a 3/4 scale. I think it would have been easier to learn on. I like to play flamenco music though so classical was the best option for me so i could still play regular tunes. The classical guitar feels much different that acoustic, but take the advice from fellow members and the best way is to go to a music store and play around for a hour or so. the big stores like GC are used to people just coming inside to play around and there will not be as much pressure.

i have a classical, acoustic, and electric. my first guitar was a classical which was hard for me because i am a girl and i have small hands so it was very painful in the beginning esp. having to develop calluses. In my opinion, if you are aiming to play a lot of pop songs or modern songs you should prob stick with an acoustic. the classical has a warmer sound and an acoustic has a more bright sound. classical is good for nice quiet songs and very chill songs. but dont get me wrong u can also do that on an acoustic. but just my opinion, i would start with an acoustic if you are aiming for the more modern songs like the songs that are on the radios these days.

ive been playing for 7 years now and i am self taught. and i usually switch guitars according to the song and the mood that is brought upon the song. good luck. =)

I have a classical and that's what I learned on. Some songs sound great on the nylon strings, others not so much. The only big difference I've notice in terms of playability is that the wider neck on a classical makes barre chords a bit tougher.I play both steel and nylon stringed guitars now, so eventually it won't make a big difference.

I'd say go with a steel-stringed acoustic, you can always do classical later, and I think it will be easier having played this first.

Lol indeed Deach has good advise..
Very quick and quality advise..
And here's MY imput..

LEARN GUITAR AND LEAVE!!
This is UKULELE underground!! :mad:
.........nah I'm just joking haha
I play guitar too

I do like the nylon rather than steel.. that's just me

Last edited:
Personally I think pop songs sound better on the acoustic guitar. Plus I feel like acoustic is the standard if you're going to translate to and play pop songs on the guitar.

i started on a steel string acoustic, i switched to classical after about 4 years and i got a LOT better once i made the switch but... and my advice is this...your fingers will hurt more with steel string but for pop strumming they are better...for being a better all round guitarist classical is better...but only if you study classical style i.e. theory, reading music, etc.

A lot also depends on what style(s) you want to play. A classical guitar is best for, obviously, classical music. If you take classical seriously, and want to study theory and build a repetoire of classical compositions, grow your nails out and all that stuff, you should definitely get a nylon stringed classical. If you want to do other fingerstyle stuff, learn some more blues or rock type stuff, or just simple chords, get a steel stringed acoustic. Of course, classical guitars can also get a good sound for other styles, like jazz, and a lot of contemporary fingerstylers who are classically inspired use steel stringed guitars instead of classical. It all depends and the sound and style you want. As said before, you should try out a couple before making a decision.

any kind of song can be played on any type of guitar. you can alter the sound on your computer. If you want to get a guitar that you can travel with there is a brand called traveler guitat that makes full size electric guitars but they are very compact. I have one and it plays great. Get them used off of Ebay though. It's cheaper than going to your local store however going to the store allows you to see it to make sure it works before you buy it.

If you want to play pop 'n' stuff then please get a steel string acoustic as opposed to a classic/flamenco with nylon - whilst great they simply do not suit that style (nor were they intended to). You can also buy a cheap 6 string electric and practice amp which will help the pop/rock thang. Look to your budget but try and have a play (with e.g. a friend's guitar) first to get acquainted.
Failing that buy a UKe and come back here ;-)

Get the kind of guitar that sound the coolest to you. If you end up with a nylon string, your fingers won;t have to go through as much to get your calluses as they would with a steel string, but I think a lot of folks overemphasize your fingertips' break-in period. Unless you are a child, sttel strings aren't that big a deal to play. But for a little kid, there is big pain invloved with a steel string because their fingers are much more tender than an adult's or teenager's. For a youngster, nylon string guitars are best. For most everybody else, the one that sounds the best to your ears is the best...

I have both, I play both, I love both.
And man, I sure do dig those uku's!

If you can find a nice Yamaha steel string on ebay, you can play if for a bit, and if you don't like it, you can get your money back. Yahama's are great for the money and are a decent instrument - good action, nice neck, full sound. Your best selection will be with a dreadnaught size (large). You should be able to find a nice one for just under $300. Have fun!

Consider a hybrid nylon-stringed guitar like the Yamaha NTX 700 or the Cordoba GK Studio. When you need the volume and brightness of steel, plug it into an acoustic combo amp and adjust the settings.

Top Bottom