Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back after Father Death tried to get me twice

Default Back after Father Death tried to get me twice

Been a long two months away from UU and life in general.

I developed a wound on my right ischial (butt cheek)about a year ago. It turned into a sepsis infection about a week before I was going to have it surgically closed by a plastic surgeon. Wife insisted I go to the ER. I suggested let's wait and see what happens. Typical male response. She won out.

The docs there said if I had waited another 8 hours it would have been too late. Sepsis is a fast moving infection and once in the blood stream; father death is usually the result. They took me immediately into surgery to clean the wound and where the infection was burrowing.

Rather than getting into the sordid details of three surgeries, 2 near death encounters , six weeks of laying in a special bed with no getting up and three weeks in an extended care facility; I'm finally home. Weak as hell and can hardly transfer into the wheelchair, but I'm home and rarin to get back to normal. I went to the gym today and worked out with my trainer to start getting the strength back and hope to do a few miles on the hand cycle this weekend.

Reading UU kept me sane and the uke sat in the corner of the hospital room encouraging me to make it thru so I could play it again.

This was just too close. I figure I should treat myself to one of the Pono Steel String baris coming out soon as a symbol of surviving yet again. Or, perhaps have one made.

I'm glad to be back posting and being with friends here on UU. Now onto happier times and more; lots more playing the uke.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 06-25-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Wow! That is scary! I am glad you are on the mend. Sepsis is not something to mess around with.

These typical male responses we have are the reason married men live longer than our single counterparts. Cheers to the women in our lives that keep us going! I absolutely think a Pono is warranted (as well as something nice for your wife for getting you to the ER)!

Keep strumming!!
    Main players:

Soprano: WC Ukuleles

Concert: Collings UC2 | Collings UC2K | Talsma Style 3 | Ono Pineapple

Tenor: Collings UT2 | Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

Others to be re-homed: Kepasa Madera koa| Kiwaya KS-1 | 16" Koa Ono | Blackbird Farallon

Welcome back!
    I hope you get your strength back soon.

Glad to have you back. I have to say I'm not familiar with the phrase "father death". My Father is the Father of life (not trying to start a religious thread, just sayin).
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Happy and Glad for you Pat.....keep on strumming....
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Yeah, welcome back. Get your strength back, but take it easy. It takes a while.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Aloha Pat,
    Welcome back and I'm glad you recovered and im sure it must have been life awakening period. Yup I'm sure you had your two feather MB ukulele
    In the hospital for encouragement. Take care and happy strummings, two feathers
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Welcome back Patrick, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend.
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Hey brother...

Glad you are back on the mend and was able to defeat the Grim Reaper...

Keep on ukin!
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Pat, that was WAY too close, bro! Sepsis is no joke. It is a long road ahead of you, too, but you can do it. You have a really nice uke that can help you through it, too! Play it often! Glad things are much better. Work the rehab, it's hard, but helps a ton.
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

Thread Information