Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just scalloped the last four frets on my uke.

Default I just scalloped the last four frets on my uke.

It may be just a standard uke with no pick-ups, but I use those frets a lot. And it really helps my bends and vibratos up there.

By the way, it's a Koaloha. Yes, it was expensive before I defaced it drastically. But it's not like I was gonna sell it

EDIT: Apparantly, I can't count. I meant FIVE scalloped frets. Curse you, PCHS.

Last edited by tsudawuda; 04-14-2009 at 01:03 AM.

how'd you do it?
    "It`s great to want to be part of something, but it`s a different thing completely to believe wholly in some type of movement, and to give everything for that something."
    -Brandon Boyd, Incubus

With three different files. One is a 1/4 inch round file, one is a very skinny round file, and the other is a flatter one that I used to smoothen it.

but dude, why the koaloha??? hahaha jk i totally understand. but next time get a kala and scallop the whole thing! then i want you to do an yngwie solo cover on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by NukeDOC View Post
    but dude, why the koaloha??? hahaha jk i totally understand. but next time get a kala and scallop the whole thing! then i want you to do an yngwie solo cover on youtube.
    Doing those four frets took me nearly an hour. I don't want to imagine the horrors of scalloping 12-16 frets x.x

I love scalloped frets on guitars and trying it on ukes has crossed my mind, just needed you to boot kick me!

Interesting - I have never seen that before, even on guitars. What if you want to slide across several frets - does it effect that?
    "I can't tell if it's an A# or a Bb..."
    "If you hit the wrong note, we'll all be flat"
    - Goonies

http://www.youtube.com/user/khrome242

Quote Originally Posted by khrome View Post
    Interesting - I have never seen that before, even on guitars. What if you want to slide across several frets - does it effect that?
    it might be a slight learning curve. you have to learn how to fret the string just enough to maintain intonation. when you get that down, sliding shouldnt be a problem.

Interesting. KoAloha is probably a good choice to do that on, since its got a koa fretboard. I'd imagine it being a more difficult job on a rosewood or ebony fretboard.
    Visit the ukulele ghetto

Too many ukes!: W. King ls-tenor; W. King ls-concert; Kamaka tenor; Koa Works tenor; KoAloha Pineapple Sunday; Dasilva Santo repro; Aaron Taylor tenor; Kiwaya KTS-7; Kanile'a custom SS; Kepasa Gypsy Rose; Bluegrass cigar box tenor; Collings UC-1; Bushman cedartone baritone; Glyph Mezzo Soprano "Mini-Jake"; Kala acacia pocket; Mya-Moe Concert Tradition; Epiphone Les Paul; Martin C1K

Wow. Now that's hard-core ukin'!
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

Thread Information