::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of being at work....the guy I've been filling in for (thus, working almost full time) was expected to come back to work tomorrow. He just called, and said he can't make it this week. Maybe next Thursday, is his best guess....

How are you doing with that? Ready to go back to retirement yet?

How are you doing with that? Ready to go back to retirement yet?

Yes, I am! I'm committed to helping my friend, Steve, who is the store manager, though. I don't see how I could leave him without help in good conscience. I'm doing this for the (relatively) short term....for him, not for the guy who's out of work.

The extra hours won't kill me, but I sure miss being able to do things and go places at my convenience....

The best thing about retirement, to me, is the freedom from demands on my time. Being able to manage my own time and schedule my life, without work constraints, is absolutely wonderful.

The second best aspect, which was pertinent to the USPS, but not to NAPA, is the freedom from work-related stress....

We were at our church retreat - the reception was pretty iffy, so I was out of commission.

We had a lot of fun - relaxing and away from everything. My mom was unable to get through on the phone, so that was blissfully silent. Her care center had a way to get a hold of us in the event of emergencies, though.

I picked up a bow and arrow for the first time since I was in college - I still do pretty well! I took archery as a PE class 3 springs in a row in college and loved every minute of it. Sheryl and the girls came and joined me, too - at one point we had all four of us on the line. Annie was surprisingly good for her first time. They set her up with the cutest little compound bow I've ever seen. She hit a bullseye dead on.

There were butterflies EVERYWHERE. It was crazy and amazing and beautiful. We counted LOTS of five different species.

Unfortunately, the ticks have also been bad up there this spring. Our group saw way too many of them. Emma had one in her hair (fortunately it hadn't found her skin yet - she has a LOT of hair) and let out a shriek that could wake Lazarus. That was the only negative thing the whole weekend.

(for the religiously-inclined...) Our pastor had kids help him serve communion yesterday morning - it was awesome. He asked the little girl helping to break off a piece of bread for him - she did, then dipped it and fed it to him without being prompted. He's an Episcopal priest - he did your denomination proud, Padre.

I'm so glad to hear that the retreat went well, both for you and your family. It sounds as if you must have gotten at least a little "unwind" time....

I had a toy bow and arrow as a kid. I really enjoyed it, and got pretty good at hitting cardboard targets in the yard.

I've never tried a real bow, though....

Well I could travel to the field but I don't think my wife would appreciate it much....or the kids. Or my in-laws. But if I was mid 20s I would have been there probably every year.

Okay Stephen.

Got home from my brothers at midnight last night after dropping off all of my weary travelers. Had a fabulous “planning the wedding weekend”. My SIL turned it into a party weekend with a big Santa Maria BBQ on Saturday night. I practiced getting the pool decorated, the stage decorated, I got all the centerpieces made, Katie got her cake tasted and ordered, Luis found a brewery to order his beer from, and we got the type of wine all figured out.

I had a toy bow and arrow as a kid. I really enjoyed it, and got pretty good at hitting cardboard targets in the yard.

My older brothers and sisters and the neighbor kids had B.B. guns and real bow and arrows. They would build big forts out of tumbleweeds and play war; the boys against the girls. My dad put a stop to it when my sister got an arrow in her shin.

I'm so glad to hear that the retreat went well, both for you and your family. It sounds as if you must have gotten at least a little "unwind" time....

Yep! It was so nice. Until I got home and realized I had to come back to work today.

I shot a compound bow for the first time on Saturday - it was a hoot. In college and Boy Scouts we always used recurve bows. They had both at camp on Saturday and I got to try both. The camp director tried to prank me by swapping a 25 pound recurve with a (visually identical) 45 pound bow while I was retrieving arrows. He was so bummed when I didn't notice the difference!

Got home from my brothers at midnight last night after dropping off all of my weary travelers. Had a fabulous “planning the wedding weekend”. My SIL turned it into a party weekend with a big Santa Maria BBQ on Saturday night. I practiced getting the pool decorated, the stage decorated, I got all the centerpieces made, Katie got her cake tasted and ordered, Luis found a brewery to order his beer from, and we got the type of wine all figured out.

Thank goodness the truly important thing has been taken care of. All the rest is fluff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom