::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are close to Kim (Sailqwest). She is on the east side near the hills. Or at least she was. I haven't heard anything in ages.

I ran across a post from her recently,
and was happy to see it until I realized it was an old thread that was revived and her post was 4 years old.

I ran across a post from her recently,
and was happy to see it until I realized it was an old thread that was revived and her post was 4 years old.

Isn't it weird when that happens? I see a thread that's interesting but don't check the date. The I get a page or two into it, see familiar names, and finally notice that its a several year old thread that has gotten one banal post like "me too" or "I just love mine" and it has been called forth from the tomb.

Me too. I think I had some weird stuff then I hear stories from Pere.

OK, this is creepy and I don't approve of the behavior.

From last night's news: a Leavenworth man was arrested for taking videos up women's dresses at the Leavenworth Walmart. I've been to the Leavenworth Walmart. There's no one there whose dress you'd want to see up. Come to think of it, you don't even see that many dresses at the Leavenworth Walmart. Sweat pants or PJs rule our fashion world.

I ended up in Albuquerque once. I was hitch-hiking across the country and back and was on my way back east. I got pciked up by a young guy in a big lincoln or some such thing. After a half hour he stops again and picks up another hitch-hiker, a young dude that just got out of the navy and was going home. Then about 20 minutes after that we come across a biker couple with a pitbull on the side of the road next to a broken down car. The car is full at this point, he drives us to Albuquerque and takes us all to his apartment to stay the night! On top of that, he takes half of us out to eat leaving the other half at his apartment to shower and then takes the other half out to eat. I slept on the floor and in the morning he dropped me and the sailor on the highway and took the biker couple to a mechanic. Best good Samaritan ever.

This is the kind of story the Bond, Vaga Bond wants to be able to tell.

ankohonu.jpg

I got this pretty hilarious email the other day. Evidently this thread is being targetting by internet marketers.

Like from The King and I?

I think Myanmar is the correct term nowadays.

Their church says Burmese church? The king and I was Siam.

Wikipedia to the rescue:

In 1989, the military government officially changed the English translations of many names dating back to Burma's colonial period or earlier, including that of the country itself: "Burma" became "Myanmar". The renaming remains a contested issue.[14] Many political and ethnic opposition groups and countries continue to use "Burma" because they do not recognise the legitimacy of the ruling military government or its authority to rename the country.[15]

In April 2016, soon after taking office, Aung San Suu Kyi clarified that foreigners are free to use either name, "because there is nothing in the constitution of our country that says that you must use any term in particular".[16]

The country's official full name is the "Republic of the Union of Myanmar" (ပြည်ထောင်စုသမ္မတ မြန်မာနိုင်ငံတော်, Pyidaunzu Thanmăda Myăma Nainngandaw, pronounced [pjìdàʊɴzṵ θàɴməda̰ mjəmà nàɪɴŋàɴdɔ̀]). Countries that do not officially recognise that name use the long form "Union of Burma" instead.[17]

In English, the country is popularly known as either "Burma" or "Myanmar" /ˈmjɑːnˌmɑːr/ (About this sound listen).[6] Both these names are derived from the name of the majority Burmese Bamar ethnic group. Myanmar is considered to be the literary form of the name of the group, while Burma is derived from "Bamar", the colloquial form of the group's name. Depending on the register used, the pronunciation would be Bama (pronounced [bəmà]) or Myamah (pronounced [mjəmà]). The name Burma has been in use in English since the 18th century.

Burma continues to be used in English by the governments of many countries, such as Canada and the United Kingdom.[18][19] Official United States policy retains Burma as the country's name, although the State Department's website lists the country as "Burma (Myanmar)" and Barack Obama has referred to the country by both names.[20] The Czech Republic officially uses Myanmar, although its Ministry of Foreign Affairs mentions both Myanmar and Burma on its website.[21] The United Nations uses Myanmar, as do the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, Australia,[22] Russia, Germany,[23] China, India, Bangladesh, Norway,[24] Japan[18] and Switzerland.[25]

Most English-speaking international news media refer to the country by the name Myanmar, including the BBC,[26] CNN,[27] Al Jazeera,[28] Reuters,[29] RT (Russia Today) and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC)/Radio Australia.[30]

Myanmar is known with a name deriving from Burma as opposed to Myanmar in Spanish, Italian, Romanian, and Greek – Birmania being the local version of Burma in the Spanish language, for example. Myanmar used to be known as "Birmânia" in Portuguese, and as "Birmanie" in French.[31] As in the past, French-language media today consistently use Birmanie.,[32][33]

I'm not a fan of "living wages" for fast food.

I feel like wages should match the skill level and fast food is definitely an entry level job, where you learn to be a good worker. Show up on time, learn jobs and how to do them efficiently, learn how to work with others, how to treat people etc.

People want everything so fast and feel entitled to good money. I busted my ass to go back to school. I worked three jobs, one full time and two part time while going to school full time. Nobody "owed" me anything. I don't "owe" anyone anything. Everything I have and everything I don't have is all on me.

And It. Was. Hard.
But when manufacturing jobs are outsourced, displaced workers turn to fast food to make a living. Or old people who can't do their old job but can't live off social security alone. Choking out starter job spaces for kids, and necessitating a reasonable wage.

Just bailed on the session put on by the Army about leadership.

What they don't seem to realize is that in the Army you want to move up otherwise you're the bottom and doing the grunt work. The same motivations they were taughting in this workshop would never fly in a public school.

A lot of administrators in there drinking the kook aid though.

Another thing, they should never send administrators to a "teacher's best practice" conference. /For the most part, they've lost contact with the classroom and have no idea what theory will translate into actual success.

*I like how kool aid autocorrected.
"Taughting", lol!

I just buy it. I'll check the shelf price to make sure it scans right. But I'm not going to spend my time and my gas chasing down a half dollar saving on something.

The savings here are much more significant, and add up. We know which stores have what for which prices. So we make lists for each store.
Local grocery for produce, Costco for hamburger, chicken, eggs, bread, bananas, Safeway $5 Friday deals. The ads come on Wednesday, we plan the menu based on what is on sale that week,
and do all our shopping Fri-Sun.
I would suspect that we are easily saving $20/wk or more doing this, which is almost a tank of gas for Helen, so worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom