::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a much better place than I was this time last year, that's for sure! I finally feel like myself again.

I don't know what's been going on with you, and I don't need to. I'm just glad to hear that....whatever it was....is getting better!

I think that would be so cool. Not legal, but really really cool.

(Is it illegal to distill for home use? I was thinking it was...)

It varies by state, but you have to apply for a permit and still pay taxes to legally distill spirits for personal consumption. You don't get taxed if you're distilling it for gas, but you'd still need a permit. That's just the fed level. How much you can produce is all a state thing.

I just made a clumsy move, and tipped a full cup of Diet Coke over onto my Kindle. Luckily, the plastic lid stayed on, and the cup only spilled a drop or two onto my screen.

A) great lid!
B) lucky me!

Tam Tam! How ya doing? Any wonderful, crazy work stories to share? I could use some hilarity...

No overly entertaining work stories of late. I did go out stomping around a property we purchased measuring the circumference of trees one day. Work has been super crazy. We are 'affiliating' (read, taking over) with another local home. So I've been scrambling trying to get to know their systems...

...which are so crazy outdated and hacked together it's insane. Seriously. Their whole campus is a train wreck. Some of their boxes are older than I am. A person very high up on the food chain was using a Windows ME box! I was like, HOLY HIPAA VIOLATION BATMAN!!!

Why would you dump on the owner's kid?

Cause he's the one who is always telling me how awesome the deli is and that it's the best in the world.

Plus I think I got the girl he's always talking about. Dumb as dirt but his brother is crushing on her and won't get rid of her :)

He's a great kid. I'm just going to tease him. He's offered me coupons for free sandwiches but I won't take them.

I think that would be so cool. Not legal, but really really cool.

(Is it illegal to distill for home use? I was thinking it was...)

I believe it is regulated by the state. I went to a lecture on colonial medicine in PA, and the lady said she had a special license from the state for her still for "historical research."

Have you ever heard people say that there's nothing like having the right tools to do a job?

They're right....

The new tools I bought to do the drywall mud have really improved the appearance of my work. I had a plastic drywall knife, which was too narrow and too flexible. I bought a wider, steel bladed one. I had also been trying to work out of the gallon bucket of mud. It is too heavy to hold in one hand for too long, and not wide enough to get into easily with the knife. I bought a plastic tray that's wide and shallow, that's made especially for this purpose.

Both of those have made the work easier, and the results better, for an investment of about $12. I may never use them again, but I'm going to use them enough on this job to make it worthwhile....

I believe it is regulated by the state. I went to a lecture on colonial medicine in PA, and the lady said she had a special license from the state for her still for "historical research."

...I do historical reenacting...

...I am totally getting one of those licenses. For research purposes only of course.

Cause he's the one who is always telling me how awesome the deli is and that it's the best in the world.

Plus I think I got the girl he's always talking about. Dumb as dirt but his brother is crushing on her and won't get rid of her :)

He's a great kid. I'm just going to tease him. He's offered me coupons for free sandwiches but I won't take them.

OH! Teasing is of course allowed!

...I do historical reenacting...

...I am totally getting one of those licenses. For research purposes only of course.

I'm pretty certain she had to show off her published research and get letters from others in the field, or some such nonsense.

The new tools I bought to do the drywall mud have really improved the appearance of my work. I had a plastic drywall knife, which was too narrow and too flexible. I bought a wider, steel bladed one. I had also been trying to work out of the gallon bucket of mud. It is too heavy to hold in one hand for too long, and not wide enough to get into easily with the knife. I bought a plastic tray that's wide and shallow, that's made especially for this purpose.

Both of those have made the work easier, and the results better, for an investment of about $12. I may never use them again, but I'm going to use them enough on this job to make it worthwhile....

When we bought our last house we repainted the whole place inside before we moved in. I usually do the trim work and Sheryl does the rolling. Somehow, even though I'm normally very clumsy, I have a nice steady hand to do trim and never need to mask anything. Anyway, I bought some cheap brushes and things were awful! Stray paint lines everywhere. I went to a paint store and bought several very expensive Purdy brushes in different widths and angles - the right tools for the job. Not only were the results with the right tools much much better, I was able to do it much faster.

Now I'm torn about one more new tool I could use. It's a special, V-shaped knife for doing the mud on inside corners. It would make the job easier, and neater, but it costs another $12, and I know I'll never need it again.

Unlike the other tools, which will help with many joints on this job, this tool would only be used on two inside corners. I'm having trouble justifying it.

Just thinking "out loud" here. I've already decided not to buy it. I'll muddle through without it (see what I did there?)....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom