My new certification

Nickie

Reaction score
Yesterday I had my training with the Music Therapist in charge of Palliative Arts with hospice. I learned far more than I expected to.
I am now certified to do music for patients in the newly minted Live Music program.
Now I have to meet with the MT and my boss to get the okay. I have the feeling, from her response to the MT, that she doesn't want to allow this. The trainer is fully supportive of me and thanked me for taking the training and being willing to give patient care an extra dimension.
Of course, hospice is a corporation, and far from being a democracy. My boss is well known for being very tough. If the boss denies me, I will likely take it higher, with her acknowledgment.
I meet with them next week.....wish me luck.
Hospice has demonstrated an incredible lack of compassion for nurses lately.
Thanks for allowing me to blow steam.

Great job with the certification, Nickie, congrats and big hugs!

I hope the meeting goes well. Definitely wishing you luck. :)

Bless you for doing any type of hospice work. It is something we all pray that we will not need.

Bravo, Nickie, for caring so much about patients! You know from experience that it helps them.

Kudos to you Nickie. Congrats on the Cert.

How anyone can deny music to folks that are hopelessly waiting to die is simply beyond me.

Good luck on getting through it all and being allowed to play for your patients.

Nickie, you are already a saint as far as I'm concerned. I just hope that the bosses can realize it too. :)

I remember when you said they told you you couldn't play anymore at work. I'm proud of you for finding a way to do it anyway. Congrats on your certification, and for not taking NO for an answer.

I hope it all goes well next week. You are doing the right thing.

The closest I could ever get to your sort of work is eating a Vindaloo Curry and going " Ho......Spice !!! "
You go get 'em .

Miserable bleeders. I can guarantee that the antipathy is because the bosses didn't think of it /can't do it themselves. You can tell 'em that from me .

Laura, CeeJay, Kathryn, jollyboy, Uncle Moon, Booli, Ginny, JJFN, Keith, Mivo....
thanks for your support!
Even if this doesn't go my way, I still have something very few nurses have. And I will be able to volunteer at hospitals and bring some joy to sick kids.

Good on you Nickie. You might want to get in touch with Corey Bergman at The Ukulele Kids Club in Florida (link in my signature), they help connect certified people to hospital music therapy programs.

Congrats on this Nickie. I know you've had some "bumps" in bringing music into the hospice world. Your dedication and personal values have paid off. So many will benefit.

Mahalo for your perseverance and mahalo for being in you line of work

Well, I finally met with my boss and the hospice MT today. My boss was more positive than the MT. There are many rules, and music has to be in the pt's Plan of Care, written in by the case manager. And I have to chart everything I did. The MT told me I can no longer play at patient's memorial services, that has to be a MT, and there is only one for just half the county. She didn't say that another TBUS member couldn't do it though.....
Seems like all they think about is liability these days.....

Top Bottom