I'm going to make some concert size Ukes

Interesting project. I personally think the Martin concert shape is quite ugly and it's why I chose a Ditson style for my concerts. Need wood ken? I have some cuban... Side bar - after a long time having no commissions for concerts I have recently added 5 to the list $:)

Clamped three 18mm boards all together, lined up template then drilled (on pedestal drill) and dowelled one side , flipped over template lined it up again,then drilled and dowelled other side...This is an important stage :rulez:

PICT0025_zpssbbxyvyb by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
A 2' X 4' sheet of birch ply arrived today and I started marking it out for making the mold/ solara.

OK, it's now the second time in as many days that I read this word (solara/solera), and I have idea what it means. Google doesn't seem to know either, at least not in the context of woodworking... Can someone explain?

A solera is sort of a base on which an instrument is built. It can take different forms but generally has the shape of the body plus neck. Usually the instrument is made with the soundboard placed on the solera (which may be dished) and is used for the Spanish heel method. This method ensures correct neck alignment.

Go to Youtube and enter "Classical guitar solera' and you'll find info on making and using one.

Just wondering--any idea when this might be for sale--i wouldn't want to miss it!

I have a part completed Tenor still in the Mold, it needs a back fitting ..I forgotten all about it till you just jogged my memory:eek:ld:

Last edited:
Last edited:
OK, it's now the second time in as many days that I read this word (solara/solera), and I have idea what it means. Google doesn't seem to know either, at least not in the context of woodworking... Can someone explain?

Great! Thank you very much! :D

Do you already know what wood combination you will use? Will those become mahogany Ukes or Koa or redwood or birch or .... ? :)

Last edited:
Having finished a job for Pete this morning, I can now get back to this concert job.
I started off by marking out for some drilling for the clamping hole screwed inserts ..The ones with chalk rings are to be drilled through so the base board can be bolted on..The others only go part way through.
PICT0003_zpsekg773eq by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Next I line up the mold to the centre line of the base board..and draw the outline.
PICT0009_zpsi3nz6lof by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Then I mark out the positions of the base board locating pins/dowell's
PICT0014_zpsat4sty0y by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
What a fantastic ‘walk through’
I enjoyed the process!

How about making the ‘bending profile’ for this shape?
I have a few molds, but want to produce the matching bending forms for them. any advice please?

Yet another amazing example of why you are such an asset to the uke making community. I have to admire your drive-long may it continue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom