Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to make some concert size Ukes

Interesting project. I personally think the Martin concert shape is quite ugly and it's why I chose a Ditson style for my concerts. Need wood ken? I have some cuban... Side bar - after a long time having no commissions for concerts I have recently added 5 to the list $

A 2' X 4' sheet of birch ply arrived today and I started marking it out for making the mold/ solera.
    PICT0015_zpsvwdgvgvd by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 04-14-2019 at 04:13 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Now cut into 4 parts...I'll try and record how I make this in case some other mad fool wants to make one.
    PICT0020_zpscxaagxpk by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 04-14-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Clamped three 18mm boards all together, lined up template then drilled (on pedestal drill) and dowelled one side , flipped over template lined it up again,then drilled and dowelled other side...This is an important stage

PICT0025_zpssbbxyvyb by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 04-14-2019 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    A 2' X 4' sheet of birch ply arrived today and I started marking it out for making the mold/ solara.
    OK, it's now the second time in as many days that I read this word (solara/solera), and I have idea what it means. Google doesn't seem to know either, at least not in the context of woodworking... Can someone explain?
    | | | |

A solera is sort of a base on which an instrument is built. It can take different forms but generally has the shape of the body plus neck. Usually the instrument is made with the soundboard placed on the solera (which may be dished) and is used for the Spanish heel method. This method ensures correct neck alignment.

Go to Youtube and enter "Classical guitar solera' and you'll find info on making and using one.

Just wondering--any idea when this might be for sale--i wouldn't want to miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    I have a part completed Tenor still in the Mold, it needs a back fitting ..I forgotten all about it till you just jogged my memory

Bandsawing out the centres close to the line.
    PICT0031_zpstzfhxg3q by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    All three done, now to the Router and laminate trimmer and template.
    PICT0035_zpsmcxjg085 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Routing to the template.
    PICT0038_zps1krvuzmu by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Once top plate is formed I now use it as a template for the other two.
    PICT0041_zpsadabblis by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 04-14-2019 at 04:24 AM.

PICT0050_zpsbngpbfvs by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    The centre board now has 1 inch sawn off the neck end (all comes clear later)
    PICT0062_zpsca3vnupc by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Now reassembled and being glued up.
    PICT0064_zpsteinrxuk by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Next a bit of trimming and a removable insert made and fitted to accomodate fitting the neck at a later.
    PICT0069_zps5q07b4e3 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 04-14-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mainger View Post
    OK, it's now the second time in as many days that I read this word (solara/solera), and I have idea what it means. Google doesn't seem to know either, at least not in the context of woodworking... Can someone explain?
    Great! Thank you very much!
    | | | |

Thread Information