I'm going to make some concert size Ukes

Last edited:
Last edited:
If I had a hat I'd take it off to you Ken. Very clever.
Any more comments like that and I wont be able to get my hat on:eek:

Here is where i'm up to at the moment on this project ...every thing lines up spot on so far..but there is a long way to go yet.
PICT0077_zpsol8p8xng by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thats the binding done ..I found a small piece of the binding that was under the fretboard extension of the original neck when I cleaned up the dovetail..so I got the dimensions from it to make some new bindings...I'm now handing it over to the finishing department
PICT0004_zpsoiujemvy by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a lot of amazing ideas! Ken, you've just given us a huge tutorial. Thanks.

...I'm now handing it over to the finishing department

By this I assume you mean a professional finishing factory staffed by a crew of serious people working in spacesuits and respirators? Who ever does your finishing is a real artist. As everyone knows, finishing is the "Achilles heal" of instrument making. I think she needs a pay raise.

I've just had an idea :D if I can cut this jig in half and join it with an adjustable slotted plate (or something like that) so I can vary the length ??? It will cover any other diameter rosettes, providing I use the same thickness strips ..maybe I can make a 5 or 6 strip version...I just did some early morning calculations and it works.:cool:

PICT0047_zpszrwcfyyw by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Attachments

• PICT0047_zpszrwcfyyw.jpg
    PICT0047_zpszrwcfyyw.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I hope you rewarded yourself with a nice piece of pi.
Yes Titch ! the old 3.142 has been punched into the calculator a few times this morning...I could have used 3.14159 26535 89793 but the calculator wasnt big enough ;) also there is another angle at the butt joint (making it a compound angle) to take into account...but I didn't want to go that far :confused:..but I've worked it out anyway it's about 17.40' on a 2.5" circ. ;) and gets lesser for greater diameters.

Last edited:
By this I assume you mean a professional finishing factory staffed by a crew of serious people working in spacesuits and respirators? Who ever does your finishing is a real artist. As everyone knows, finishing is the "Achilles heal" of instrument making. I think she needs a pay raise.
OK someone has got to tell you..;) you dont spell "heel" with an "A" in it thats for when you cut yourself and it's starting to got better "heal".:rulez:

Petes wood arrived yesterday and very nice it is too..I'll be using it shortly on my next Concert..The bonus was it came with some nice cardboard sheets for protection and I used one to take down the dimensions of this concert neck so I can copy it ..I got all the measurments OK except for the neck profile.
concert neck by Ken Timms, on Flickr
As I don't own a needle profile comb gauge i did it another way...All you need is some multicore solder (the type you use to wire up a geetar) some 2mm plastic or aluminium sheet, a can of spray paint, and this is what you do.
EQUIPMENT
PICT0002_zpsynrdxhrn by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Wrap a piece of solder around neck at thin end.
PICT0011_zpshghijc1c by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Then the thick end.
PICT0012_zpswujyfdnw by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Every morning that I check UU for new stuff, Ken is right up there with the newest! Ken has Concepts that are plausible and practical, with form fit and function.

Although he is not the originator of the first Fox rib (side) bender, he has embellished it with his own concept of how it should be built. Looking here first before building a new one for your shop is highly recommended. Also, go back into the archives and see what he has done. It's an encyclopedic journey of luthier concepts. I'm still not done with veiwing the multitude of YouTube videos from Ken. Wow!

Those clamps built into the solero look to eliminate or minimize the separate tub of spool clamps. Although we have t-nuts, they aren't as useful as the euro ones that Ken is using. Hmm; do we have a local big box store who carries those? The thru-bolt at the neck end seems more practical than suitcase/trunk latches, if a neck is being built into the solero mold, (for alignment purposes?). You might want to look here for ideas before you build a samo/samo version.

Stay tuned; he keeps coming up with more. :)

Thank you Ken for the learning experience and tutorials.

Last edited:
Top Bottom