So what is the ukulele equivalent of "Smoke on the Water"???

Grapenehi

Reaction score
As I'm eagerly awaiting my first Uke... I was wondering where to start??? What are the first songs everyone learns??? I'm completely new to the instrument, but I'm ready to dive in and engross myself into the ukulele culture...

Last edited:
At the top of the Beginners forum are stickies and in there you will find one called 'Ukulele Resources (Updated).

Take a look at that and the list songbooks, and exercises and all manner of things! Lots of people like Uncle Rods Bootcamp, depending upon where you are in music knowledge there is something for everyone. I recommend Howlin' Hobbits, Howlin' Hobbit – Ukulele Ace particularly his Ukulele Chord Exercises. If you know about chord Key structures already it may be just a refresher, if you're really new,like I was last year it opens a whole new world!

The Songbooks will keep your printer busy for a month. I just downloaded to a flash drive to save the forests.

First song choice is pretty subjective. It either depends on what someone wants to learn, or what the book/course they follow teaches them.

I'm currently reading an interesting book on how we acquire and improve (or not) skills. It's called "The Talent Code", and in spite of this overly catchy title, it's actually a very good read. Only halfway through, but it's already showing me that my approach to learning the uke (and everything else) is pretty sub-optimal. Apparently, the difficulty of what you learn is secondary, and "all" that matters is that you break it down to individual parts that you then individually learn (the way I understand it: you start with individual notes that your chords are composed of) at a painfully glacial pace, but with almost perfect accuracy/correctness, and then combine groups of individual parts into increasingly bigger groups ("chunking"), like building a house. I think the real difficulty with this approach is to actually take it this slow and to go really deep into the details.

But anyway, I'll write more about this when I'm done with the book and have formulated my plan how to apply this to ukulele practicing! :)

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is probably one of those songs that a lot of ukulele players learn (or try to learn!) early on. It's a song a lot of non-players associate with the instrument. Ukulele culture is largely about "do what you want and have fun doing it", though, so while that sometimes means lack of direction, it also means plenty of freedom and absence of pressure.

Strumming or picking? Some of us do both, others only one of those.

Basically, start by practicing a song or tune you know & like, as you will pick it up quicker than trying something that you don't know.

Practice for 5 ~ 30 mins to start with, you will need to harden up your finger tips.

You will likely deaden adjacent strings to begin with, but this will improve as you practice more.

Enjoy! :)

Widely accepted "standards" seem to vary but an easy starter song like "You are my Sunshine" is popular. My first must learn must play was " Somewhere over the Rainbow". Most people like to start out strumming and singing. Pick a song you LOVE with 2 or 3 easy chords like C, F, G and you're livin' large brother.

I think "I'm Yours" is a widely popular first song as well!

I can play 'House of the Rising Sun' :p

+1 for You Are My Sunshine. I would almost call learning it a ukulele rite of passage.

Songs like Li'l Liza Jane and Go Tell Aunt Rhody seem to show up a lot in books for beginners. Also it seems to be a law of the cosmos that the first fingerstyle song you learn must be Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

I'm not sure what the first song was that I played on the ukulele. I didn't have any musical background before though. Maybe Oh Susana or something like that. But just last Monday my niece bought a ukulele and Tuesday she brought it over to my house for me to see it. She said that she spent the whole evening working on a song that she likes. I don't even know what song it was. I don't listen to the same songs that kids do these days. But it was a popular song that I assume that she listens to on the radio, or wherever kids listen to music. She found the chords on the internet, learned them the evening before, and she was strumming away and singing her song in my kitchen the next. I mean, a song is a song.

Last edited:
Ha!!! I guess that's kinda what I expected.. Thanks for the tips... Just a few more days and I'll have my ukulele... I can hardly wait...

Also, don't get discouraged if the song you think you want to play is out of your wheelhouse when you first get started. There were a lot of songs I thought would be fun to do but were too advanced for my limited skills. It all came about eventually. Enjoy the process!

Just try anything that can be played with C, G, F, and Am. Something like Psycho by Leon Payne, or Riptide by Vance Joy works well. I know Psycho is a bit strange, but it is the first song I learnt.

Something like Psycho by Leon Payne

I lcve that song, although the Jack Kittel version is my favourite - there's something about his utterly deadpan delivery of the line "I killed them both and they're buried under Jenkins' sycamore." that always makes me smile ;)

I lcve that song, although the Jack Kittel version is my favourite - there's something about his utterly deadpan delivery of the line "I killed them both and they're buried under Jenkins' sycamore." that always makes me smile ;)

I was first introduced to it at a live performance by Neil Gaiman. Again, utterly deadpan, and accompanied by a ukulele...

Well, Riptide and I'm Yours seem to get covered a lot on uke... a whole lot....yup, a lot. :)
If you decide to go with Smoke on the Water you should follow that up with Wipeout and Dueling Banjos.

Although...I think Bodysurfing might be the ukulele equivalent of Wipeout...
Hmmm, I have to rethink this...
:)

When I purchased my ukulele last year, I had no prior experience with a stringed instrument, I found Cynthia Lins videos, and learned 3 little birds, she had a 1/2 hour video that was quite helpful to me as I did not know how to strum, or even hold the ukulele correctly. She does not charge for the chord sheets on her tutorials. I did check out lots of videos on Youtube, and to date still like her tutorials the best as she actually counts the song in so you know what speed to play. I also found Nicole and Aaron Keim's videos and was able to play along with them early on after purchasing their song book on line. Ukulele Mike (Mike Lynch) has some great videos for new players as well, but you have to buy his tabs and he never counts the song in he just starts strumming. While I love the videos and tutorials that UU present and am in awe of their talent I found even the beginner tutorials to be way to advanced for me as an absolute newbie they are relatively short and do not spend much time working on specific chord transitions for the specific song you are learning, to their credit they have recently started including tabs for the finger picking parts. I am a member of UU+ and feel that their self improvement courses are very helpful and worth the price of the annual subscriptions which is much cheaper than private lessons. I prefer watching tutorials on youtube vs Vimeo because I can loop specific parts of a song I want to learn, I have yet to figure out how to do that on Vimeo especially if its embedded into a website. So what I had to do is record the video Im watching and upload it to a private youtube account that only I have access to it, this way I can loop and replay a specific chord transition, and practice a strumming or finger picking pattern without having to stop and back up the video. Of course if you have played a stringed instrument before you probably know the basics and just need to learn chords so you are already leaps and bounds ahead of the absolute newbie.

Well, in theory...

First song choice is pretty subjective. It either depends on what someone wants to learn, or what the book/course they follow teaches them.

I'm currently reading an interesting book on how we acquire and improve (or not) skills. It's called "The Talent Code", and in spite of this overly catchy title, it's actually a very good read. Only halfway through, but it's already showing me that my approach to learning the uke (and everything else) is pretty sub-optimal. Apparently, the difficulty of what you learn is secondary, and "all" that matters is that you break it down to individual parts that you then individually learn (the way I understand it: you start with individual notes that your chords are composed of) at a painfully glacial pace, but with almost perfect accuracy/correctness, and then combine groups of individual parts into increasingly bigger groups ("chunking"), like building a house. I think the real difficulty with this approach is to actually take it this slow and to go really deep into the details.

But anyway, I'll write more about this when I'm done with the book and have formulated my plan how to apply this to ukulele practicing! :)

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is probably one of those songs that a lot of ukulele players learn (or try to learn!) early on. It's a song a lot of non-players associate with the instrument. Ukulele culture is largely about "do what you want and have fun doing it", though, so while that sometimes means lack of direction, it also means plenty of freedom and absence of pressure.

That is a really great approach if you have access to a world class teacher but most of us don't. I once took lesions from such a person on another instrument and only then were all those little details explained correctly explained. So, if you take the approach above on your own or with a typical teacher you will be spending a lot of wasted time learning to do things in a less than ideal way.

-- Gary

PS Learn to play what you love and don't try to do it the other way round.

Top Bottom