UAS: CONCERT scale 'Makala Dolphin/Shark' equivalent?

Booli

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

UAS is pullin' at me again.

I tried to keep playing soprano (bought and tried 3 different ones so far) but the smaller scale and tighter nut with keeps causing my fretting hand to cramp.

I am mostly a tenor player, and baritone after that, and I have concert Flea, as well as the Epiphone LP (both are fine, but stay at HOME) but really want a carefree, but nice-sounding, nice-playing beater concert to keep with me when I am out and about without too much worry if it gets dinged up or OMG stolen or smashed.

Thus rules out ALL customs, solid-wood, and one-off instruments AFAICT...

I DO NOT want a Waterman, Bugs gear, Woodi, or any other all-plastic uke.

I would also prefer to avoid aliexpress or ebay with foreign or lesser-known vendors, luthiers, factories from Asia. (i.e., Caramel, Rubin, Kmise, Bruce Wei Arts, etc)

I'd like so spend no more than ~$100 since once I cross that threshold in saved funds, they always get wiped out by something else more immediate than another uke...also this is my pain-point where I would not lose sleep if the uke got smashed or stolen...

so what is the current CHEAP and FAVORITE commodity (as in EASILY replaced) concert beater uke that everyone loves?

Some thoughts are:

Makala MK-C
Lanikai 'Sailor Jerry' concert uke
Kala KA-SLNG
Gretsch G9100-L
Kala KA-C

IIRC seeing some of the Kala Makala Ukadelic's in CONCERT SCALE, such as the tie-dye model, but last few times I looked they are ALL 'now' soprano-only...one of these might fit the bill if I could find one...

I am also NOT opposed to buying used, and actually would prefer it since it helps another person (to put cash in their pocket) and not just feeding a nameless and faceless Asian factory or giant corporate retail company.

Also, to add that I am in the USA, so USA vendors are preferred.

Please share your detailed experience with any recommendations that you might have...

Mahalo,

Booli

Hi Folks,

UAS is pullin' at me again.

I tried to keep playing soprano (bought and tried 3 different ones so far) but the smaller scale and tighter nut with keeps causing my fretting hand to cramp.

I am mostly a tenor player, and baritone after that, and I have concert Flea, as well as the Epiphone LP (both are fine, but stay at HOME) but really want a carefree, but nice-sounding, nice-playing beater concert to keep with me when I am out and about without too much worry if it gets dinged up or OMG stolen or smashed.

Thus rules out ALL customs, solid-wood, and one-off instruments AFAICT...

I DO NOT want a Waterman, Bugs gear, Woodi, or any other all-plastic uke.

I would also prefer to avoid aliexpress or ebay with foreign or lesser-known vendors, luthiers, factories from Asia. (i.e., Caramel, Rubin, Kmise, Bruce Wei Arts, etc)

I'd like so spend no more than ~$100 since once I cross that threshold in saved funds, they always get wiped out by something else more immediate than another uke...also this is my pain-point where I would not lose sleep if the uke got smashed or stolen...

so what is the current CHEAP and FAVORITE commodity (as in EASILY replaced) concert beater uke that everyone loves?

Some thoughts are:

Makala MK-C
Lanikai 'Sailor Jerry' concert uke
Kala KA-SLNG
Gretsch G9100-L
Kala KA-C

IIRC seeing some of the Kala Makala Ukadelic's in CONCERT SCALE, such as the tie-dye model, but last few times I looked they are ALL 'now' soprano-only...one of these might fit the bill if I could find one...

I am also NOT opposed to buying used, and actually would prefer it since it helps another person (to put cash in their pocket) and not just feeding a nameless and faceless Asian factory or giant corporate retail company.

Also, to add that I am in the USA, so USA vendors are preferred.

Please share your detailed experience with any recommendations that you might have...

Mahalo,

Booli
I started with the Makala MK-C. It is still one of the two ukuleles I own. It lives in San Juan because I don't want to be dragging my other uke down there every time I go down for a few weeks. It was, and still is, a good ukulele. Out of the box I thought that it sounded good. The strings were 3mm at the 12th. Somewhere along the way, I sanded the saddle down so that it was 2.5mm at the 12th. Made no difference that I could tell. Intonation has always been good. It goes to the beach several times a week when I am down in PR. It goes sailing. It goes bicycling. It goes to the farmer's market. I don't know what else to say. However, if I were to do it again, I would probably shell out the ten or twenty bucks more to buy a Kala, instead of a Makala. Just because they look better. I don't think that they sound any better though.

Last edited:
I started with the Makala MK-C. It is still one of the two ukuleles I own. It lives in San Juan because I don't want to be dragging my other uke down there every time I go down for a few weeks. It was, and still is, a good ukulele. Out of the box I thought that it sounded good. The strings were 3mm at the 12th. Somewhere along the way, I sanded the saddle down so that it was 2.5mm at the 12th. Made no difference that I could tell. Intonation has always been good. It goes to the beach several times a week when I am down in PR. It goes sailing. It goes bicycling. It goes to the farmer's market. I don't know what else to say. However, if I were to do it again, I would probably shell out the ten or twenty bucks more to buy a Kala, instead of a Makala. Just because they look better. I don't think that they sound any better though.

Thanks Rollie.

It means a lot to me that you took the time to share your story here with your recommendations.

I've been following along your own uke journey since you've joined UU and I've come to have great respect for your opinions.

Mahalo - Booli :)

I've never played the g9100-L but you are already up to $109 with that one. For $119, I am really enjoying my G9110. Maybe it is just because it is replacing a plastic uke but it sounds amazing to me. Don't know if that helps but good luck.

This link from HMS was really helpful for me when I was deciding, all concerts around $100. http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/05/27/6-concert-ukulele-around-100/

I think the Gretsch's have been out of stock at HMS for quite some time. I'd probably go for the Islander. They have a wider nut so that may be good for you.
Good luck on the search!

Can't go far wrong with the SLNG but it is slightly shorter than your Flea - 14-7/8" vs 15.5". I got mine from Mim (then sold it) so call her and see if she has any - or other recommendations.

Hey Booli. I think all your listed choices are just what you're looking to get. I'd add a cheap Oscar Schmidt to the list. They're right in there, and occasionally great. You may get lucky and have a beater you don't care about that is actually very nice to play. With the others, you don't have much chance of that.

Makala MK-C is OK - Kala KA-SLNG is better.

Both come with Aquila strings which, when changed on the SLNG, really made it a great little uke - it was my goto until I bought my baritone. :)

I've never played the g9100-L but you are already up to $109 with that one. For $119, I am really enjoying my G9110. Maybe it is just because it is replacing a plastic uke but it sounds amazing to me. Don't know if that helps but good luck.

This link from HMS was really helpful for me when I was deciding, all concerts around $100. http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/05/27/6-concert-ukulele-around-100/

Thanks for the info and video link - it is very helpful - but I will actually have to listen a few times.

I have a range of soprano Mahalos, which are not concerts, but the older ones do have a different tone which I like more. I think you may get more value for the money by taking the time to find a uke with some age. The Mahalo UK320 has been around since early in the century, also there are some good brands that have come and gone like Bushman. I think there are others on your list which have been in production for a long time. Finding a 2000 - 2008 model in its original box, and finding it has a nice tone, would be a way to make less than $100 go a long way. With some models you may be able to find several within a $100 budget, and pick the best.

Just to feed the UAS and offer some hope here is a UU marketplace post from 2010, the uke may now be in the $100 price range:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?41942-FS-Bushman-Jenny-Concert-Cutaway-lt-SOLD-gt

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Mahalo U-30BK that I got from Musicians Friend on sale for $26, and after a full setup, nut, saddle, and fretwork it PLAYS like a dream and sounds nice, but is very hard to play due to the hand cramps.

I'd seen the Bushman Jenny uke mentioned before, but it seems nowadays finding a used one is rarer than hens teeth and priced accordingly,

I think the Gretsch's have been out of stock at HMS for quite some time. I'd probably go for the Islander. They have a wider nut so that may be good for you.
Good luck on the search!

Yes, a wider nut might help but for me the issue is also with the inter-fret spacing. A D major chord as 2220 is totally impossible on a soprano and my fingers to not overflex to barre the top 3 strings with a reversed nuckle, so I now play a D major as 2224 as if I am making a movable chord shape from a C major chord, and moving it up 2 frets with a barre across all 4 strings at the 2nd fret...

Can't go far wrong with the SLNG but it is slightly shorter than your Flea - 14-7/8" vs 15.5". I got mine from Mim (then sold it) so call her and see if she has any - or other recommendations.

Thanks Jim, seems like the SLNG is a good fallback, even if at the top of the budget.

Hey Booli. I think all your listed choices are just what you're looking to get. I'd add a cheap Oscar Schmidt to the list. They're right in there, and occasionally great. You may get lucky and have a beater you don't care about that is actually very nice to play. With the others, you don't have much chance of that.

Thanks for reminding me about Oscar Schmidt. I have had an OU2P, which is their concert PINEAPPLE uke, on my Amazon wishlist forever. Price varies between $65-85, but maybe this is it, and leaves money over to put toward a case or gig bag within the budget.

Makala MK-C is OK - Kala KA-SLNG is better.

Both come with Aquila strings which, when changed on the SLNG, really made it a great little uke - it was my goto until I bought my baritone. :)

Thanks for your input. I never use the Aquila strings if I can help it. Too little sustain for me is the main issue. Depending upon the uke, I have been happy with fluoro strings...Martin, Worth, Oasis and Living Waters, all have varying gauges and tensions with slight differences in tone...

Scooter, thanks for spotting that one and sharing that link. I will give that one a good look as well.

:) :shaka:

It might be worth a look at Amahi ukes - per my local music store they seem to be the asian uke company doing the best quality control right now.

I have a Cordoba 15CM and I think it's absolutely fantastic! I'd happily throw my vote in for it as well. Mine was right at $100 new.

Mine, which I sold, had the nicest neck of any uke I've ever played.

I have a Makala MK C.

At first I loved it, my first uke.
Since I got my fluke, I am not sure about the intonation on it anymore.
I don't know if it is because I tried better, or because I changed the strings on it.
I never bothered to check the intonation before changing the strings, but since that I tried a few times with inconsistent results. Guess I should read some threads on the subject to see what I can do about it, I intent to keep is as a "beater". Some days it seems pretty OK, then next time I try it seems off. It does not have a zero fret, don't know if any of the cheap ones have.

Anyway, as much as I have been happy with it as a starter, I would go for something else when the options are so plentiful.
As far as I can see the bottom does not have the block for strap buttons.
The Comic Sans -like logo looks off on a non painted ukulele.

Okay, since I'm currently in a somewhat UAS-free phase, let me just suggest that you don't buy anything new and save the money as well as the space. You have various good ukuleles, and most of the stuff you can get for $100 or less is not going to give you the sound or playability that'll satisfy you. Buying super cheap never works out well for me when it's instruments or electronics. Heck, or even food. At most I'd consider getting a used Flea, which is pretty robust for outside-of-home use, and if it gets dinged, well, so what? That just makes the next ding less painful. :D

No, really, I do get the fear of dings and such. I almost bought a cheap baritone because I fretted over my $1000 Pono's finish, but then Rakalele went "Hrm, another baritone?" on me, and that snapped me out of it. These instruments are meant to be used, and if they get scratched or dinged, they'll still be perfectly playable. I also got a laugh out of the "parts of the ukulele" drawing in Bruce Emery's "Baritone Ukulele from Scratch" book that featured "the inevitable scratch" next to frets, headstock, tuners, etc.

Okay, since I'm currently in a somewhat UAS-free phase, let me just suggest that you don't buy anything new and save the money as well as the space. You have various good ukuleles, and most of the stuff you can get for $100 or less is not going to give you the sound or playability that'll satisfy you. Buying super cheap never works out well for me when it's instruments or electronics. Heck, or even food. At most I'd consider getting a used Flea, which is pretty robust for outside-of-home use, and if it gets dinged, well, so what? That just makes the next ding less painful. :D

No, really, I do get the fear of dings and such. I almost bought a cheap baritone because I fretted over my $1000 Pono's finish, but then Rakalele went "Hrm, another baritone?" on me, and that snapped me out of it. These instruments are meant to be used, and if they get scratched or dinged, they'll still be perfectly playable. I also got a laugh out of the "parts of the ukulele" drawing in Bruce Emery's "Baritone Ukulele from Scratch" book that featured "the inevitable scratch" next to frets, headstock, tuners, etc.

Ha Ha!

Mivo you are trying to be the voice of reason!

I ALREADY have 1 concert Flea, 2 tenor Fleas (different woods etc) and a tenor Fluke (koa, pegheds), and they are precious to me and all get playtime. While I know the Flea/Fluke ukes are rugged, they are also the more expensive of the ukes that I own, aside from a used Mainland all-solid mahogany slothead tenor (which sounds and feels AMAZING BTW).

If any of these got damages (as in broken and not fixable, or too expensive to fix) OR stolen, I'd not be able to replace them anytime soon, and my homeowners or car insurance both have deductibles over $500, so I'd be lost the instrument.

Theft is a SERIOUS problem here in NJ, USA for items left in a car.

So I'm really not wanting to make one of these the Beater.

I had bought that $20 Vorson ABS plastic uke back in Dec 2015 with the intent of having that as a beater, but mine has a terrible flex in the neck, even unfretted when you pluck an open string, with the LIGHTEST tension Fluoro strings (WORTH CL) that I could find - if you put a tuner on the headstock and pluck the C or A strings you can see the pitch on the tuner go sharp, then flat by 8 cents in each direction until the sustain dies off. BAD BAD BAD. I cannot play an instrument like that with such pitch warble.

If I could fine some way to put a long wood dowel or a cheap 20mm squared aluminum tube inside the neck, I'm sure it would fix the flex, but due to this problem it is unplayable to me, it's like a horrible (as in BAD) vibrato effect.

Otherwise, I'd be using that VORSON uke as the concert beater...

Worst-case scenario, I will have to sacrifice the concert Flea to become victimized by the evil of the outside world, and just NEVER let it out of my hands and NOT leave it in the car. EVER. Never put it down. EVER. :)

Booli,
Every time you get $100, send it to me, I'll save it for you. After a few months, you can play the Cocobolo Ukuleles lottery, and come up with something you'll really love!
;)

Does the Outdoor Ukulele Tenor count as an "All Plastic" ukulele in your mind (it is polycarbonate) and retails for $145, out of you $100 price range. I love that I can bring it anywhere without worrying about it.

I like my Makala CE; would also consider a Córdoba Concert or Tenor. I've only been on the scene since January as a player and have never seen a Concert Ukadelic, although an American Flag Soprano Ukadelic is my ink soprano in my collection (the other two are for my boys to play so they leave my instruments alone until they can actually play).

Let us know what model you pick.

Top Bottom