Why am I like this?!?!

Kyle23

Reaction score
A few months ago, I received my dream uke directly from KoAloha and shortly after I basically completely lost interest in ukulele all together. When I first got it, I played non stop but for the past couple of months, I have barely picked it up. It seems like the thrill of the chase is gone there's nothing left to do. I have gone through drouts in the past, but this one feels different. I still take it out of the case to look at it sometimes, but the urge to play or even use this very website is almost nonexistent. It makes me feel terrible because the circumstances that lead me to the KoAloha were great and I should be really giving this instrument attention. Has anyone else had this type of thing happen to them? Am I crazy? Where do I go from here? WHY AM I LIKE THIS

For some of us, it's a personality issue. I have had many interests in my life and many of them just got dropped along the way. Trying new things does not always end abruptly, but sometimes it does. The "thrill of the chase" is an apt descriptor and is likely a component of UAS. If you haven't yet done so, give this a try:

http://www.meetup.com/BuffaloUkuleleClub/

It probably means you should try a guitar. ;)

Seriously, though, whenever I overdo something, especially if it's something that involves a lot of enthusiasm, there will inevitably be a period of backlash (disinterest) also. Life always seems to seek balance. It's also possible that the chase filled some perceived lack or dissatisfaction in your life, and now that the distraction of the chase is over and the goal met, the attraction to the unfulfilled desire is gone. I have had that happen with a lot of things, especially when I was younger (20s, partly in the 30s too). I always needed something that's just out of reach in order to be excited and cover up life issues I wasn't happy with, some kind of purpose, something to look forward to, and when I met that goal (within what's realistic), the passion evaporated. The chase is kind of addictive. I think the proper term for it is "hedonistic adaption".

My perspective shifted a bit and I try to focus more on the experience of the presence. The journey, really. That works well at times, and barely at others. That doesn't mean I don't have ukulele goals. My fingerpicking skill is poor and there are a lot of techniques and styles I'd like to learn. That is slow process for me, but I draw momentum from the improvements I notice. The thrill of getting better is sometimes a driving force, and other times I simply play or noddle for unconditional enjoyment (kind of like meditation).

Anyway, I wouldn't overthink it. If you don't enjoy it and there's currently no excitement to be had for you, then that's what it is, and it's fine. It's a hobby, not a job or a marriage. Do what does inspire and drive you, and who knows, the ukulele interest may come back. You had a lot of fun with the KoAloha concert, and those good times already justified getting it. Take it easy.

Last edited:
Now that you've brought it up, I guess I too tend to drop hobbies, could be the "thrill of the chase". Hoping the uke isn't one of them, usually it takes a number of years and I've only been playing a year. Other then that possibility, might just be me, but I find I play a lot less now that the weather is good. Like you, I live in the north and find there's just too much else I like to do outside. Same thing I tend to do with going to the gym. I still enjoy playing, but not like I did over the winter and into the spring. Went from a couple hours a day to maybe 20 minutes.

I had thought about picking up a concert size (only have tenors) to see of it re piques my interest. Haven't acted on it yet though.

These thoughts about a different size uke, (or maybe full on electric with an amp, etc), or a different instrument altogether are good ideas.

A new instrument is always a new challenge - try a harmonica, or a flute, or something completely different like an ocarina, or violin - something should take your fancy if you visit an online shop & look around. :)

(Also, with the better weather, I have slowed down with the uke - but come the long nights, I expect to do more again.)

As other folks here have said, maybe it's life balance, maybe you've achieved your goals, maybe you've found some new interests. A friend of mine and I, often discuss how it's hard to keep more than one main hobby active. Human beings really don't multitask well. We really just do one thing at a time.

Seasons come and seasons go................and so do hobbies and interests. When I hit a ukulele lull, I usually try writing a new song............this generally perks up my interest.
Of course, there is that old standby: Buy another ukulele!

Do you play with a group, If not find one! I play with 2 groups regularly and another occasionally. It's a social thing as much as anything. Keeps things interesting with the songs other people bring in.

I found my "holy grail" and in the last year have played the heck out of it!

It is ok to feel that way. Sometimes others things have to take a bigger priority. When that happens our attention changes focus. As Doc J said it is hard to multi task. I noticed your new avatar.

Last edited:
Ah... but you are still here....

there is hope for you yet!

That said, I honestly never feel that way about ukulele. I now understand why George Harrison put down his guitar to pick up a ukulele. For years I never understood that (I am a life-long guitar player) - but now I completely get it. A great tenor uke just touches my soul....

A few months ago, I received my dream uke directly from KoAloha and shortly after I basically completely lost interest in ukulele all together. When I first got it, I played non stop but for the past couple of months, I have barely picked it up. It seems like the thrill of the chase is gone there's nothing left to do. I have gone through drouts in the past, but this one feels different. I still take it out of the case to look at it sometimes, but the urge to play or even use this very website is almost nonexistent. It makes me feel terrible because the circumstances that lead me to the KoAloha were great and I should be really giving this instrument attention. Has anyone else had this type of thing happen to them? Am I crazy? Where do I go from here? WHY AM I LIKE THIS
That is an interesting sentence. "The thrill of the chase is gone." What was motivating you to play before you got your dream uke? What were your expectations for the KoAloha and why did you want it? Did it meet those expectations? What I'm getting at here, is that I recently watched a friend go through something like this with a guitar. He plays classical guitar. He saved up for almost a year and bought this dream guitar. It was supposed to be the cat's meow. But when he finally got it and played it, it was no better than the guitar that he was playing before. He spent all this time reading and dreaming about this guitar, and spent all that money, and it wasn't the guitar that he thought it would be. So he got real depressed over it and didn't want to play. He would just look at it. Finally he stuck it in an upstairs closet out of sight, and started playing his old guitar again. He is back in business. He told me that his old guitar felt like an old friend that he liked hanging out with. I just thought that your story sounded familiar.

Last edited:
I've definitely gone through phases with ukulele playing. I moved on to guitar, then tenor guitar, and ultimately came back to the uke. For me, one thing that gave me a boost was to start taking lessons. I only have a lesson every few months but it's just often enough to keep me thinking in a forward direction with my playing. I'm not looking to be an aficionado and definitely don't want to put so much pressure on myself that it feels like work rather than enjoyable. But so far it's been great. Maybe it's something you might consider?

I'm in a lull right now. Thinking about getting a microphone on a Prime Day deal; maybe recording will spur me on a bit.

It is ok to feel that way. Sometimes others things have to take a bigger priority. When that happens our attention changes focus. As Doc J said it is hard to multi task. I noticed your new avatar.

The new avatar does hold a clue doesn't it. ;) I go through lulls too. Often because work, family, or other aspects of life take up more time. But I also have found that getting a good new book helps reinvigorate me. Or switching between low and high G. Two books that got me back into at times were Ukulelezaza books (high G) and Daniel Ho's Polani book (low G). Now I always try to play every couple days even through the lulls. I gave up guitar for several years and I really regret that because of how much I backslid in terms of progress. I think playing every couple days should at least prevent regression.

Do you play with a group, If not find one! I play with 2 groups regularly and another occasionally. It's a social thing as much as anything. Keeps things interesting with the songs other people bring in.

This. I bought my first uke, played it for a few months, then lost interest. 2 years later, I stumbled upon a small group playing ukes at a resort I frequent and I joined in. It turns out, I'm a decent player and singer. I'm pretty sure I'd lose interest if I weren't playing with a group of compatible people. We challenge each other to play better, learn new techniques, and become tighter as a group. We've been doing this for 2 years now and it's been very rewarding.

For me, it's been an experiment going through the different types of ukes. As the signature shows, there's a slew of different types currntly in the stable. I've found that I go through periods where one or two dominate my time, then they fade away, only to be replaced with a couple others. Today, the 8-string and the RISA are on top. Prior to them it was a banjo-uke and the 6-string. Who knows what pair will be next?

So, the question is really, has one just got tired of music in general, or just tired of the one-uke concept? If the former, then the OP probably would never have made the original post. If the latter, then perhaps adding something unique (e.g., banjo-uke, electric, 8-string, etc.) into the mix may spark the interest. That would still have the KoAloha as something special when the mood hits, and the challenge of something new when that mood hits, too.

Top Bottom