Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just another tenor uke?

Default Just another tenor uke?

As a hobby maker I like the challenge of making something different. I decided to make a uke from a tennis racquet (with acknowledge to Daniel Hulbert for the idea).

The racquet was used as an external mould to make a complete soundbox. Because the uke has no purfling/binding, maple linings were used rather than thicker kerfings. The box was made shallow (40mm) to enhance the racquet look. The 2 soundholes rather than a large circular one seemed the obvious choice. Since there are no soundboard cross braces, 5 fan braces have been used.

The laminated shaft was widened with ash to make the neck and built-up head. This was kept simple to resemble the racquet handle. I resisted the temptation to add a heel, again to avoid hiding the lines of the racquet.

The completed soundbox was glued into the racquet rim. The soundbox’s darker top and back accentuate the lines of the ash racquet rim. The maple sides also complement the light coloured ash rim.

Continued in the next post........

rac1.jpgrac2.jpgrac3.jpgrac4.jpgrac5.jpg
    Last edited by greenscoe; 07-12-2016 at 12:07 AM.

The uke is finished in Tru Oil and retains signs of it previous playing life. This deceptively simple looking build took about 40 hours to complete. The uke feels very solid with its protective racquet rim and sits happily on my lap. Fortuitously, strumming at the 12-14th frets avoids damage to the soundboard.

Itís as loud as my other tenor ukes with a full even sound, but with less sustain. It has the character Iíve come to expect from an instrument without a large single soundhole.

I was game for the challenge, set my objectives and produced an instrument to match my expectations. I hope you think Iíve served up an ace.

(Sorry, I couldnít resist!)

ten1.jpgten2.jpgten3.jpgten4.jpgten5.jpg

That looks great. Keep the pictures coming, I fancy having a go at this and I have my old racquet in the loft (I see you posted more whilst I was typing!)
    Last edited by orangeena; 07-12-2016 at 12:12 AM. Reason: the world moves too fast

Wow!! Very nice.
    "Life is short. Opera is long."

Anonymous

Stroke of genius! It is really interesting and original.
    And the result is really a beauty.
    Do you plan to make an audio sample ?
    Congratulations!

Just a thought. Do you think a design with two identical racquets glued together to give a deeper sound box might work too? Obviously the neck would need to be trimmed

Cool! The sound hole design is especially inspired. What are the top and back woods?
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Orangeena: There are lots of possibilities, I have ideas aplenty for using a racquet. My intention here was to transmute seemlessly from one thing to the next so keeping the box shallow was an important design element. It could be deeper with a single racket.

Jim Hanks: Both top and back are recycled, though quartersawn and bookmatched. The top is Sapele (1.8-2 mm), the back (2.5 mm) is an unknown wood found when I cleared out my father's workshop. Its heavy, hard and redder then sapele and tends to clog sandpaper: anyone any ideas?

Love it, looks great.
    Steve
    http://www.feintuned.com
    Pono Pro-Classic ATSHC-PC with LR Baggs 5.0
    Cordoba 20TM CE

Neat....I bet you could SERVE up some nice tunes on that. yuk yuk yuk
    It must make quite a RACKET when played. yuk yuk yuk
    Everyone must LOVE it.
    Can't find any FAULT in that construction.....ok I'll stop now. It is a pretty cool uke

Thread Information