Season 231 "Think Global - Play Local"

UkingViking

Reaction score
Seasons of the Ukulele - Season 231: Think Global - Play Local!

Sorry I post a bit early, but it is evening i Denmark. If I posted at the correct time it would be after midnigth here, and I wouldn't be able to follow up if there are questions.

My first season hosting, so bear over with me :)

For Season 231 I want you to play tunes from your local music scene.

- You can pick a song from a world-famous artist from your state, region or city.
- You can pick a song from an artist without an international breakthrough, that you think we will like. Please add a little info about the artist in your post if you do this.
- You can of course write your own song.

To make sure I have time to comment on the videos, I have chosen a song limit of 2 songs for this week. I hope it will also make it easier for the rest of you to listen to most of everyone else stuff.

If you do two songs, it would be cool if one of them was by an artist you think we know and one by an artist who have yet to make their big breakthrough. It is not mandatory though, you can mix it up as you please. They go in the same playlist.

Please write in your post where the song is from in you post, so I don't have to look it up in your profile.

There will be no tangible prices this week, but as a price for all of us I will try to make som map in the wrap-up, showing what parts of the world we have covered this week. I don't promise that it will be pretty though.

Special rule about about embedding videos this week:
Please only embed the videos that are entries. You can post links that open in youtube for background videos on the artists you cover, or for bonus songs. If you want to embed a bonus song video, do it in the Island. I will probably not have the time to comment on bonus songs.

Otherwise the usual rules apply.
The Season begins midnight, Hawaii time, and ends eight days later.
The videos must be recorded for this season.
Multitracking is allowed, just make sure you can hear the ukulele in there.

Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjGqiWnN3Jl_37jOiueCaMN2491UCgX7r

Happy strumming!

Nice theme UV. This will give us great opportunities and be fun!

An interesting theme that will need some thought. There are a fair number of internationally known artists from this part of England. It's the other bit that will be a little more difficult.

Great theme! I am hosting week 235 and I mulled this over as a possible theme so I'm glad that I didn't pick it.

Now, before I get excited and pick a song, I want to verify that I can do a local band from where I spent the majority of my life and where my musical roots lie. Since I have been where I am for 2 years I really don't know any local bands whereas I have a thousand from my roots which include a lot of very obscure bands.

I ask please that I can do something from my true roots which I really think is where the root of this theme lies.

Thanks in advance,

An interesting theme that will need some thought. There are a fair number of internationally known artists from this part of England. It's the other bit that will be a little more difficult.

There again, I've just had a thought. Sorted - I think.

Great theme! I am hosting week 235 and I mulled this over as a possible theme so I'm glad that I didn't pick it.

Now, before I get excited and pick a song, I want to verify that I can do a local band from where I spent the majority of my life and where my musical roots lie. Since I have been where I am for 2 years I really don't know any local bands whereas I have a thousand from my roots which include a lot of very obscure bands.

I ask please that I can do something from my true roots which I really think is where the root of this theme lies.

Thanks in advance,

Sure, this is fine. You can do songs from somewhere you used to live :)
I expected this question to show up, but forgot to write it in the original post.

Elton John's lyric writer hails from my county, would it be OK to do an EJ song ?

Sure, this is fine. You can do songs from somewhere you used to live :)
I expected this question to show up, but forgot to write it in the original post.

How about a musician who I am peripherally connected to - a friend of one of my oldest friends? He is terrific and meets all the other criteria.

Great theme! I may end up being an observer on this one, though. Leaving tomorrow for a week away from home, and I'm not sure what internet connectivity I may have. Plus, I'm not too sure I could get much done with only a cell phone and a tablet. I'm very dependent on the desktop for the "heavy lifting."

The final map will be a sight to behold, I'm sure. Good luck with 231! My wrap-up and prize selection for 230 may get delayed for the same reasons for which I will have difficulty participating in yours, but hopefully it won't interfere with what's happening here. Hope ya'll have fun! - d

Great theme! I may end up being an observer on this one, though. Leaving tomorrow for a week away from home, and I'm not sure what internet connectivity I may have. Plus, I'm not too sure I could get much done with only a cell phone and a tablet. I'm very dependent on the desktop for the "heavy lifting."

I recorded on an iPad from a hotel bedroom when I was away from home at the end of May. I've also recorded from my daughter's on my iPad. It works pretty well and certainly gives good enough results for uploading to You Tube. I use an app called Movie Pro or something like that - I'll check it. It's pretty easy to use, has basic editing facitlities and you can upload direct to YT and transfer the video to dropbox for saving elsewhere if you wish.

Does help to have WiFi available, though

Went and checked. The App is called Movie Pro and it's free as well. I was recommended it. I'm sure there will be something similar on Android though Android isn't as well provided as Apple for Movie and Audio editing.

Last edited:
Wow. Great theme! And I'll have a lot of artists to sort through!

I recorded on an iPad from a hotel bedroom when I was away from home at the end of May. I've also recorded from my daughter's on my iPad. It works pretty well and certainly gives good enough results for uploading to You Tube. I use an app called Movie Pro or something like that - I'll check it. It's pretty easy to use, has basic editing facitlities and you can upload direct to YT and transfer the video to dropbox for saving elsewhere if you wish.

Does help to have WiFi available, though

Went and checked. The App is called Movie Pro and it's free as well. I was recommended it. I'm sure there will be something similar on Android though Android isn't as well provided as Apple for Movie and Audio editing.

I've recorded on my phone and tablet before and was quite pleased with the results, but I am most accustomed to my desktop video and audio editing software for titling, overlays, etc. It will be the uploading to YT, editing the footage, etc. that will be the problem. It may just have to be something quick and simple - like me! :) Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check 'em out.

Great theme. I'm struggling to think of any Tasmanian artists, though. I wonder if Melbourne would be too far away to count...

Elton John's lyric writer hails from my county, would it be OK to do an EJ song ?

I guess an internationally recognized lyrics-writer is just as much an artist as a singer or a band member, so if this is what you like to present then feel free.

How about a musician who I am peripherally connected to - a friend of one of my oldest friends? He is terrific and meets all the other criteria.

Of course you can cover friends and aquaintances. It doesn't have to be someone famous.
Looking forward to hearing it!

Great theme. I'm struggling to think of any Tasmanian artists, though. I wonder if Melbourne would be too far away to count...

If the closest metropol with a music scene offering something you feel like playing is Melbourne, go with Melbourne.
I guess it is somehow considered local, and that you know musicians from there that the people not living as close as you wouldnt know. Not that you have to pick someone unknown, it just means that you would probably know the very famous ones even if they were less famous. If that makes any sense.

Just make sure you pick something you feel is somehow local.

Last edited:
Jon Duncan is a Tassie artist with lots of original material to chose from.

I was thinking about that... I was also thinking about the Violent Femmes (because of the Brian Ritchie connection)... I'll focus on Melbourne first though, then see if I can get a Tassie one in.

Top Bottom