8 String Baritone

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Another commission out the door for a Qld. based musician that was looking for a flat-back ronroco. So Wikipedia is your friend and it turns out that it's pretty much an 8 string Baritone uke.

This has a 20" scale length and is tuned to dD, gG, bb, ee but lots of tunings could be used, and my client says that he changes them a lot depending on the music he's composing.

Body is Brazilian Mahogany. Soundboard is Engelmann Spruce. Trim is Indian Rosewood, and finished in French Polish.

8 String Baritone Ukulele-2.jpg8 String Baritone Ukulele-5.jpg8 String Baritone Ukulele-6.jpg8 String Baritone Ukulele-7.jpg8 String Baritone Ukulele-11.jpg

Lovely instrument. As usual... What I'm taking home from this is the thinness and the lower profile of the binding trim. It gives a nice delicate look to the instrument. Good proportions. This has me measuring my binding height and I think it could be lower... By the way, that rosewood binding looks very dark in the pictures. Almost like ebony.

The Indian Rosewood is indeed very dark forest grown. It's a deep purple / brown especially under finish. Plantation grown Rosewood is much lighter and softer. Too much light, water and nutrients to make for high quality luthier grade material.

The thing about bindings to keep in mind is that it's a subconscious assumption that if the bindings are deep, then the soundboard and to a lesser extent the back will be thick. That the instrument will be heavy, and unresponsive.

I'd love to hear what it sounds like. It's gorgeous as all your instruments. Love the shape still! :) (It was the deciding factor for buying mine, as shallow as that may sounds.)

Your instruments defy description, words like quality, excellence and beauty don't do them justice!

Bob

All the elements flow and are in harmony. The stealth tuners are very classy looking and keep everything in proportion. Really beautiful Allen, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom