Thread: Recommendation on strings for a concert resonator uke wanted

Default Recommendation on strings for a concert resonator uke wanted

I have a Gretsch Concert Resonator Uke. It came with Nylguts and wasn't a fan. I installed Worth BMs which are my go to strings and just don't care for their 'wimpy' sound. Would welcome other suggestions.
    My 4-String Family:
    Kamoa E3 Pineapple Soprano
    Martin S-O (given to my brother for Christmas with the stipulation he learns to play it)
    Early-70s Kamaka Soprano
    KPK Acacia Concert (given to a friend for his birthday because he wanted to learn to play ukulele)
    KPK Deluxe Long Neck Acacia Pineapple Soprano
    Gretsch Concert Resonator
    Lanikai O-8 Spruce/Ovangkol 8 String Tenor
    and various guitars

I'm going to watch this thread closely as well. I often suffer from SCO (string changing obsession) until I find the right combo for a particular uke. I have yet to embark on the mission with my National Resonator. My, er, ah, gut (string joke! I'm here all week folks, don't forget to tip your servers ;-) tells me a thicker/harder string will be better. I'm not typically a fan of Nylguts either, but they be more appropriate for a resonator. Wonder if a heavy Southcoast string might be another option?
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

On both my concert resos I have D'Addario clear nylon strings. Great tension and nice warm tone.

A friend of mine here in the Albany (NY) Area uses Worth Brown on his resonators. I liked the sound/feel of them, so I'm planning on trying them too - after I have the biscuit replaced on my National (it is too low for me). To see what the worth brown are like, I had Mim install them on my Moku soprano, and I quite like them.

I'm also thinking about contacting Dirk at Southcoast Strings, and getting his recommendation for strings for the National.

After that biscuit is changed, of course...

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo $460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Resouker recommends D'Addario EJ65T and Labella Pro/Fremont Soloist Squeekless low G for all resoukes. I have a set, just haven't installed them yet.

I too am watching this thread. A concert scale reso-uke is on my list... and I probably should sell one or two of my other ukes to make room.

When it comes to reso's, I assumed that a brighter string would naturally bring out the best qualities of the instrument. Something like Oasis Brights. Then I thought some more and considered that Aquila Reds seem to pull a little extra something out of every instrument I've tried them on. I'll call it "body" - I have not found a better term for the richer and fuller sound with all of the volume of other strings I've tried. They are probably not perfect for every uke, but I like them where I've used them so far.

If it were me, I'd work my way through a few sets of strings until I found the sound I'm looking for.

Good luck, and please let us know what strings you like and don't like.
    ===================
    Sopranos: Kamaka Gold Label, Martin S1 (Mexico, currently in violin tuning for my wife), ??Regal?? no-name, Dixie Banjo-lele
    Concerts: Mele Mahogany, Kala Traveler, Kala KA-ACP-CTG (slot head, cedar top, acacia back/sides, low G), Gretsch G9112 Resonator (low G)
    Tenors: Kala KA-ASAC-SP-TGE-C-MM Marcy Marxer, RipTide Mahogany A/E
    Baritone: Silvertone
    U-Bass: Kala Hutch Hutchinson

I put on Kala Pearls, they really punched the sound out.
    Ziegenspeck, Howlett, Mulcock, Pereira, Kiwaya, Morgan, Hamano, Blackbird, Cigar Box, Enya, Fluke, Shima.

I finally bought a reso-uke. I replaced the stock Aquila nylaguts with Aquila Reds. I think the Reds sound better and have just a bit less tension. I have a set of Worth Browns to try next.
    ===================
    Sopranos: Kamaka Gold Label, Martin S1 (Mexico, currently in violin tuning for my wife), ??Regal?? no-name, Dixie Banjo-lele
    Concerts: Mele Mahogany, Kala Traveler, Kala KA-ACP-CTG (slot head, cedar top, acacia back/sides, low G), Gretsch G9112 Resonator (low G)

Aquilla Reds with wound low G are the best so far on my concert Ashbury. Made this "Cheap" uke come alive. Now looking for a quality replacement cone and biscuit. Think it's 6 1/2 inches. Any sugestions guys/girls.

Quote Originally Posted by pbagley View Post
    I finally bought a reso-uke. I replaced the stock Aquila nylaguts with Aquila Reds. I think the Reds sound better and have just a bit less tension.
    Well, it finally happened. I broke an Aquila Red. The low G snapped at the tuning peg as I tuned for the first workshop of the day.

Last night I threw on a set of Oasis Bright low G. Not a new set, a used set I had briefly on the Kala cedar top concert. Because of the difficult threading when tie stringing, I went with a knot. They settled in overnight and the brighter strings sound pretty nice on this reso-uke.
    ===================

Thread Information