FT Kala KA-SSTU-T Travel Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyD

Reaction score
I thought that this Kala KA-SSTU-T would be a great travel uke, but I can’t get past the shallow depth of the body. Ukes really aren’t that big anyways so when I can bring a tenor on my travels I’m just going to bring a full sized one.

I purchased this a bit over a year ago from HMS, and it has been humidified in its bag and rarely played in that time. It plays wonderfully - it has good action, intonation and is really quite loud acoustically, but it’s just not for me. Electronics sound good, but honestly haven't plugged in much since owning it.

I’m primarily interested in trading but am also open to realistic offers if someone wants to purchase it outright. My dream trade would look something like a durable tenor (laminate ok) with electronics and a cutaway. I can +/- money to accommodate a good trade. Throwing “necessity” out of the window for good ole’ UAS, I also might be interested in any of the following - all tenor sized - 6, or 8 string ukes, a banjo uke, or maybe (just maybe) a baritone. PM me if you’ve got something you don’t play anymore! Cheers!

DSC00732.jpgDSC00726.jpgDSC00727.jpg

I know the feeling, I bought a thinline concert, & whilst it is a good uke in itself, a concert is so small already that it really is cosmetic being thinline.

(Might work on a baritone, but the one I was looking at costs £50 more than the standard version, though it does include a gig bag.)

Good luck with the trade, I just recently got one just like this one (w/o a pickup) through a trade of my own.

I must say that I am very pleasantly suprised, this is a really NICE ukulele. It's loud, it has a good tone and it looks nice. Feels a bit wierd to have such a thin uke, but it somehow doesnt seem to affect the sound too much. I really like it, going to string it low-g and see how that works.
I wouldn't hesitate to try this one out :)!

This was my first uke. I bought it at Sam Ash and didn't get it set up when I bought it - starting out, I didn't know any better. Then I struggled with the action being too high out of the gate for GCEA (in retrospect, tuning down to Bb would've helped). And high action on a tenor, when you've never played any instruments before, sucked. I didn't quit/give up though but really wish I'd have heard about the setup/lowering the action first!
But your buying from HMS pretty much guarantees their fantastic setup.
Good luck on this sale/trade.

I thought that this Kala KA-SSTU-T would be a great travel uke, but I can’t get past the shallow depth of the body. Ukes really aren’t that big anyways so when I can bring a tenor on my travels I’m just going to bring a full sized one.

I purchased this a bit over a year ago from HMS, and it has been humidified in its bag and rarely played in that time. It plays wonderfully - it has good action, intonation and is really quite loud acoustically, but it’s just not for me. Electronics sound good, but honestly haven't plugged in much since owning it.

I’m primarily interested in trading but am also open to realistic offers if someone wants to purchase it outright. My dream trade would look something like a durable tenor (laminate ok) with electronics and a cutaway. I can +/- money to accommodate a good trade. Throwing “necessity” out of the window for good ole’ UAS, I also might be interested in any of the following - all tenor sized - 6, or 8 string ukes, a banjo uke, or maybe (just maybe) a baritone. PM me if you’ve got something you don’t play anymore! Cheers!

View attachment 92880View attachment 92881View attachment 92882

Yeah, HMS does a great job. I worked at the ole GC for a while, and got a few ukes from there in my time. A couple came great out of the box, others I have spent a pretty penny to make play they way they should. Lessons learned, eh?

I'm talking to a few people with offers right now, I'll keep the post updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom