Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUD - Wunderkammer Ike soprano

Default NUD - Wunderkammer Ike soprano

I couldn't be happier with my new uke! It's all solid mahogany body and neck, and everything else is rosewood - fretboard, faceplate, nut, bridge, saddle.

First impressions - it's like your birthday party as a kid. Pure joy. This puppy weighs 341 grams on our kitchen scale! Light and lightly built. So the sound is way loud. And it has that classic mahogany warm ring. It reminds me of vintage ukes. Playability is excellent. Very comfortable to hold and go fast up and down the neck.

One thing - the Ike doesn't come with side dots and I forgot to ask for them. I can always get stickers or something, but for now I'm going to challenge myself to learn the neck better without looking.

Liam Kirby in Bristol, England was very friendly and professional to work with. I highly recommend his work! He does everything by hand with no machines. Check out his site.

Here are some links to some big pics so you can see the gorgeous color of this mahogany. Please excuse the dead grass haha - it's the desert season here.

http://imgur.com/NT9JLgU

http://imgur.com/OIj9tu7

http://imgur.com/qWUXZNv

Also here's a sound sample. It came strung with either nylguts or super nylguts, not sure. I really love the nylguts on this instrument. They fit it so well for a full, vintage type sound.

I made a donation to the Rainforest Action Network because I bought endangered woods.

WOW - that sounds great!

I've not heard of this luthier before and I'm off to check out his web site now...

Best of luck with the new beauty!
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

That's fantastic! Congrats on the new uke.
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

That taropatch he makes looks very good for 720 dollars. Sounds good too.
    As does Bonesoup's. Very respectable.

Love it! It rings quite well, too. I'm coming around to the conclusion that I really like Nylguts on sopranos, even though on bigger ukes I don't seem to like them as much (here, I prefer the Reds).

Very thoughtful of you to make that donation. I feel a bit ashamed that I have a koa uke and this never even crossed my mind.

I had the chance to play this last week during Dan's latest trip to South Florida. To my ears, It has a warm and full sound and not the twangy sound of many sopranos. It is light and extremely well built and very comfortable to play.

Congrats on a very nice purchase.

Congratulations Dan, that's a really sweet looking & sounding ukulele my friend, great choice mate.
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    WOW - that sounds great!

I've not heard of this luthier before and I'm off to check out his web site now...

Best of luck with the new beauty!
    Thanks B-man. I think you might see something you like on his site.

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer75 View Post
    That's fantastic! Congrats on the new uke.
    Much thanks wayfarer.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    That taropatch he makes looks very good for 720 dollars. Sounds good too.
    As does Bonesoup's. Very respectable.
    I agree Neal. I love the look of his instruments. And his prices are more than fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    Love it! It rings quite well, too. I'm coming around to the conclusion that I really like Nylguts on sopranos, even though on bigger ukes I don't seem to like them as much (here, I prefer the Reds).

Very thoughtful of you to make that donation. I feel a bit ashamed that I have a koa uke and this never even crossed my mind.
    Cheers Mivo, I'm glad you like it. You might be on to something with nylgut and sopranos. I bought extra strings, different kinds including reds, to try on this but I see myself leaving the nylguts on for quite a while. The donation, yeah, I try to live green but classic tonewoods are classic tonewoods for a reason and that won out for me this time.

Quote Originally Posted by rappsy View Post
    I had the chance to play this last week during Dan's latest trip to South Florida. To my ears, It has a warm and full sound and not the twangy sound of many sopranos. It is light and extremely well built and very comfortable to play.

Congrats on a very nice purchase.
    Thanks Lenny. You're not a soprano guy so if you like this one it must be good! Although maybe one of your new ukes, the soprano, will change that hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    Congratulations Dan, that's a really sweet looking & sounding ukulele my friend, great choice mate.
    Thanks mate. I'm really glad you like it.

Congratulations! Beautiful sounding and looking uke. The color of natural mahogany is so beautiful. I know it's often stained to simulate "vintage," but I prefer it like this. Then you can enjoy watching that gorgeous wood age naturally.
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    D. Heilman ULO #7 Concert
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kala Elite Custom Lebanese Cedar Tenor
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Bonanza Retro Mint Pear Tenor
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Primrose Cedar/Maple Soprano
    Flea Lava Soprano

Cocobolo Cedar Top Tenor
    1933 Martin 1K Soprano

Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing some Hawaiian tunes on this one (:

Thread Information