Banjo ukulele quality

Old thread, I know, but not obsolete.

I was underwhelmed with the quality of the entry level banjo ukes (heavy for their size and tinny sounding). When considering more expensive banjo ukes I was confronted with not only a heftier price (sometimes prohibitive), but also with instruments that either still sounded like ukes, not banjos -so why bother? - or sounded plinky.

My goal was to find an nstrument that sounded like a banjo, but with warmth, and could be played like a ukulele. I always liked the sound of the Irish 4 string banjo, so I figured I'd get an old Gibson tenor banjo and have it ukefied. My thinking was that if I could find a cheaper instrument, get it fixed up, it would restore its former glory (and resale value for when my arthritis tells me it's time to sell my stuff). So after lots of searching online I finally found a beat up 1923 Gibson trapdoor tenor banjo for quite low price (about a quarter of what they go for on Reverb and Ebay. I sent it to Jake Wildwood who resuscitated it for me.

Here's my banjo uke in much more capable hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuK0nqtxQIQ

Sounds great!

I've been playing an old 17 fret tenor banjo that way for more than 10 years now. I strung it with nylguts, reentrant F,Bb,D,G ...the 11 inch pot size makes for a much nicer tone, IMO, than any other banjo uke I'd played before.

Last edited:
Sounds great!

I've been playing an old 17 fret tenor banjo that way for more than 10 years now. I strung it with nylguts, reentrant F,Bb,D,G ...the 11 inch pot size makes for a much nicer tone, IMO, than any other banjo uke I'd played before.

Indeed! That bigger pot makes a huge difference. I'm quite happy with the result.

I think a lot depends on how serious you are about a banjo uke.

When I bought mine, I knew it would be more of a "novelty" instrument than anything else, and true to this expectation, it only really comes out of the case at Christmas time. And for the few times it gets played even then, it wouldn't matter much if it sounded like a $500 banjolele or a $50 banjolele.

That said, mine is a Rally model for which I paid less than $200 five years ago. I had originally ordered a Gold Tone for at least twice that much, but I sent it back when somebody gave me a Rally to try and it felt and sounded exactly the same. To this day, I have no regrets, as none of the intoxicated people at the holiday parties I attend are ever listening closely enough to know the difference between a great instrument and a pretty good affordable one.

Sounds great!

Have you tried it gcea? I have a tenor I'm trying to restring that way.

Which nylguts did you use?

I currently have a set of living water 5 string tenor strings on order that I am going to try...

I tried this on a Deering tenor and was not happy with the results. Perhaps I picked the wrong strings. Do I need to use a low G?

Thanks,
Tom

Could you supply some detail on the strings you used? Curious about why you tuned down a 1/2 step. I usually play with others so I would either have to capo or change keys.
Thanks,
Tom

Top Bottom